Bell Media launches "TV Everywhere" live streaming & on demand - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 88 (permalink) Old 2014-11-17, 04:31 PM

Bell Aliant FibreOP is in the Atlantic provinces.

Bell Aliant's FTTH service is branded as Bell FibreOP in rural Ontario and Quebec where they operate (eg. Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie, North Bay, etc.) See also:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=213682

There is also a login for Bell that has been there since the beginning (includes Bell Satellite and Bell Fibe).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 (permalink) Old 2014-11-28, 01:08 PM

Bell Aliant officially announced they are offering CTV GO:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=225289
post #63 of 88 (permalink) Old 2015-02-12, 11:43 AM

CTV Becomes First Broadcaster in Canada to Support Google Chromecast

Quote:
CTV announced today its CTV GO TV Everywhere service now works with Google Chromecast. The newly updated CTV GO provides an improved user experience and is the first TVE product from a Canadian broadcaster to support Chromecast functionality, further expanding the viewing experience for CTV GO users. Increasing the value of subscriptions to participating TV service providers, CTV has enabled the newly updated CTV GO to take the next step in providing viewers the flexibility to start, stop, and continue their favourite CTV programs seamlessly, in and out of the home. With the Chromecast device, Canadians have another option to enjoy their favourite CTV GO offerings on a big screen. Current users can stream from their web-connected computers or the CTV GO app for their iOS and Android mobile devices.

Chromecast is a thumb-sized media streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port on TVs. Viewers can simply use an Android phone, tablet, iPhone, iPad, Mac or Windows laptop, or Chromebook to cast the CTV GO app and CTV programming onto a television. In addition to CTV GO, the availability of more Bell Media digital brands for Chromecast will be announced soon.

“As viewing habits continue to evolve, Bell Media is committed to continuing our momentum of providing the latest TV technology to our viewers,” said Domenic Vivolo, Executive Vice-President, Content Sales, and Distribution Marketing, Bell Media. “As the first Canadian broadcaster to support Google Chromecast we are offering viewers an unparalleled TVE experience – giving them great programming wherever and whenever they want to see it.”

“We’re excited to have CTV as the first Canadian broadcaster available on Chromecast,” said Suveer Kothari, Director of Chromecast Partnerships, Google. “With the CTV GO app and Chromecast, Canadians will now be able to use the devices they already own, like phones, tablets, and laptops to find and cast their favourite CTV programs to their TV screen with a simple tap.”

The new CTV GO app features a redesigned, current, and cleaner look, and full support for Google Chromecast. With core improvements that have made the app faster, the user experience is improved with easily accessible content including full-length episodes and extras.

CTV GO is a free app allowing Canadians to access CTV’s #1 television lineup on-demand for seven days following a television broadcast. Additional content is available exclusively to Canadians who subscribe to participating TV service providers, allowing them extended catch-up viewing windows, as well as live streams of CTV and CTV Two broadcasts. Currently, participating service providers include Bell Fibe, Bell TV, Bell Aliant FibreOP TV, Northerntel FibreOP, Shaw Cable, Shaw Direct, Telus Optik TV, Northwestel, Eastlink, and Access Communications, with additional CTV GO partners to be announced soon.
Full Press Release.

post #64 of 88 (permalink) Old 2015-02-19, 09:56 AM

CTV announced today that its CTV GO TV Everywhere service is now available to Rogers Communications, Access Communications, Cable Cable, Nexicom, and Northwestel subscribers, giving CTV GO a 90% penetration rate in English Canada.

Full Press Release.
post #65 of 88 (permalink) Old 2015-03-24, 09:52 AM

I know this is an older thread but I was wondering if Shaw Direct customers are covered in the Go app? I haven't been able to find any information either way or how to sign up if yes. I see Shaw Go but that seems to be for Shaw cable customers.
post #66 of 88 (permalink) Old 2015-03-24, 11:31 AM

I tried CTV GO online and noticed that when you choose Shaw GO, there's a tab for Shaw Direct. If your app doesn't have that, you may have to update it.
post #67 of 88 (permalink) Old 2015-10-26, 01:58 PM

Discovery GO Launches with Canada's Most-Watched Entertainment Specialty Programming Available Anywhere, Anytime

Discovery announced today that Canada’s #1 Entertainment Specialty programming is now available, at home and on the go, on Discovery GO. Launching with an incredible 4,500 hours of binge-worthy content, swelling to more than 7,000 hours by January 2016, the premium video streaming service allows subscribers immediate access to their favourite factual entertainment programs. With the added convenience of livestreaming and on-demand viewing on smartphones, tablets, and computers in addition to television set-top boxes, Discovery GO is a unique 5-in-1 package offering viewers the flexibility to start, stop, and continue their favourite programs from Discovery, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, Discovery Science, and Discovery Velocity – all of this at no additional cost to channel subscribers of participating TV service providers.

At launch, Discovery GO is available online, via iOS and Android apps, and on TV set-top boxes as an incredible no-charge added value for subscribers. Access by viewers will mirror their Discovery Canada networks subscriptions through Bell Fibe TV, Bell Satellite TV, Eastlink, Shaw Cable, and Shaw Direct, with more partners to be announced soon. Viewers can simply download the Discovery GO app to their mobile device, or visit Discovery.ca/DiscoveryGO for more information on web access. Additionally, customers of Bell FibreOP TV who subscribe to Discovery Canada channels can now enjoy that content on their set-top boxes with app access coming soon.
Quote:
Discovery also revealed today that Discovery GO will soon become one of the first TV Everywhere services in Canada to offer content in beautifully vivid 4K Ultra HD.
Links: http://www.discovery.ca/discovery-go
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ia.discoverygo
post #68 of 88 (permalink) Old 2015-10-29, 11:29 PM

No Chromecast or Apple TV support? Lame.
post #69 of 88 (permalink) Old 2015-10-31, 08:32 AM

No direct subscription? Lame.
post #70 of 88 (permalink) Old 2016-01-08, 01:45 PM

Discovery GO now in 4K on Samsung UHD TV

Discovery GO Ups Ante on Home Cinematic Experience with 4K Ultra HD - Bell Media

Discovery Canada today announced that its premium video streaming service Discovery GO now offers the ultimate viewing experience – 4K Ultra HD. Adding to the thousands of hours of original Canadian and international binge-worthy content made available since launching last October, Discovery GO is now streaming select titles in 4K on Samsung UHD TV. To put their holiday TV purchases to ultimate use, Canadians need simply to download the app from the SmartHub store on their Samsung UHD TV to enjoy Discovery GO’s 4K titles.

Discovery Canada also confirmed today the brand’s first original scripted drama FRONTIER, starring Jason Momoa (GAME OF THRONES, Aquaman), is currently shooting in 4K and will be made available later this year as the service’s UHD inventory continues to expand.

Discovery GO currently features a wide range of programming available in 4K including CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, HIGH TECH REDNECKS, SHARK, and one of the first original Canadian productions commissioned in 4K, HOW HARD CAN IT BE starring CANADA’S WORST DRIVER’s Andrew Younghusband. Additional 4K titles will be added regularly throughout 2016 including new seasons of RIVER MONSTERS (January), JADE FEVER (February), HOW IT’S MADE: DREAM CARS (March), with many more to follow.
post #71 of 88 (permalink) Old 2016-01-10, 07:46 AM

I read the Discovery Go info & the FAQ

I have a Bell HD set top box 9242 - - how does it work via the STB ?

I have the Samsung Smat TV - do I have to logon via the TV or does the STB give me the programming directly

Confused

Regards,
Doug
post #72 of 88 (permalink) Old 2016-01-10, 10:50 AM

Here is our thread that discusses http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/58-b...tv-demand.html. You need a 9241 or a 9400 PVR.

I'm not sure if the Discovery GO app is available on all Samsung Smart TVs or just for 4k. You should check in the Samsung SmartHub. If that works, you will have to log in to your Bell account to verify which Discovery channels you subscribe to.

If it's not on the Samsung SmartHub, you can use a PC, iOS or Android device or you can record the programs you want on your PVR from the regular Discovery channels.

EDIT: I just found this in the FAQ:
Quote:
Where do I get Discovery GO?

Discovery GO is available for download in the App Store (iOS), Google Play (Android), and Samsung SmartHub on Samsung SmartTVs, or you can visit Discovery.ca/Discovery-GO for more information on web access. Once you have downloaded the Discovery GO App or have gone to Discovery.ca, select “Sign In” and then select your TV service provider and follow the login steps.

Content from Discovery GO and the associated channels is also available on set top box and other platforms provided by participating service providers.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-01-10 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added more detail
post #73 of 88 (permalink) Old 2016-01-10, 06:10 PM

It's definitely not available on all Samsung Smart TVs though, as I have one that's a few years old, and mine doesn't have any of the Bell Media apps. Might just be newer models.
post #74 of 88 (permalink) Old 2016-01-10, 06:32 PM

Dr Dave what I am trying to understand is

how the set top box receives the programming - via satellite or via internet?

If logging in each time is required what is the point ....

Regards,
Doug
post #75 of 88 (permalink) Old 2016-01-10, 07:04 PM

@Dougofthenorth the set top box must be connected to the internet and receives the programming on demand over the internet. The only point is that it is on demand. Except for a few exclusives, most of the programs will already have played on the Discovery channels and you can schedule recordings in advance. I don't know if you have to login with the STB, since I'm not a Bell customer.

If you use the Samsung TV app or the other apps, I think it would be smart enough to save your login info so you don't have to log in every time.
Dougofthenorth likes this.

Tags
bell media , bravo , cp24 , ctv , ctv go , tmn , tv everywhere

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in