VMedia, IPTV Provider Discussions - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-11-22, 07:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurger View Post
Hello, I am very sorry to have taken my eye off this forum for so long, clearly alot of discussion about VMedia. I want to extend my appreciation to bev fan, whoever you may be, for keeping this thread current, albeit it with perhaps less than flattering posts, but my fault for not having been here to defend our honour. I will thank Tridus for setting him/her straight on what bev fan implied was egregious behaviour on our part, but not on the part of every other BDU in Canada.

I will make a point of checking in regularly now.
Mr.George I think this time somebody has set you straight.
VMedia loses legal battle with Bell over new TV streaming service, ordered to pay $150,000 | Financial Post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-11-23, 10:11 AM
Veteran

In a related article,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell
Bell contends this method causes subscribers to cut the cord, damages the value of its TV subscriptions and thus causes irreparable harm. It asked the court for an injunction against VMedia.
That is an admission that the lawsuit is not about the value of the OTA signals themselves. It's all about losing BDU subscribers, a side effect of new, innovative ways of creating BDU undertakings. In other words, Bell wants to keep Canadians locked into conventional, high priced BDU services for accessing TV.

Why VMedia’s TV streaming battle could change the Canadian market
Phage likes this.
post #123 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-11-23, 11:41 AM

Here's a better description of the final decision than the FP article:
Ontario court sides with Bell in dispute over VMedia streaming service - The Globe and Mail

Here's a 16 page PDF of the judge's actual ruling:
https://www.ippractice.ca/blog/wp-co...-ONSC-7273.pdf
Wheelman likes this.

post #124 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-11-26, 09:00 AM

I think this all about control of the set top box. The conventional networks/BDUs (although separate are now basically the same enterprise) seem to be fighting tooth and nail to keep their own proprietary boxes and want all their broadcasts to go through it. Broadcasting OTA signals seems to be a thorn in their side, and I'm sure if they had their way, OTA would be scrapped. In my opinion, in this day and age when the internet is the primary communication medium, anything that is broadcast OTA should also be mandated to be live streamed over the internet as well.
post #125 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-11-27, 09:27 AM
Veteran

I do not think it is about controlling boxes or innovation but protecting content. Last month Bell has made Bell Fibe Tv available on Apple tv4 so Bell clearly does support other media players.
As you said BDUs are also broadcasters and content creators, this is why Vmedia could not stream OTA channels because content creators like Bell, Shaw or Rogers would not agree to that.
And why should they. Vmedia would have acquired OTA channels for free and resell them at a profit.
This process would potentially cause BDUs loss of some customers.

The only OTA station that should be mandated to stream is CBC. Huge amount of taxpayers money is provided to this station so I agree that it should be available to every taxpayer for free.
post #126 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-11-27, 10:36 AM
Veteran

It's not so much that broadcasters don't want their programming streamed, it's that they want complete control over how it is done. Broadcasters want to disable controls like fast forward and skip so that viewers must watch commercials. I've even seen pop up ads that must be dismissed manually before the program continues to play. Broadcasters want a captive audience. With VMedia streaming live stations, they lose that.
post #127 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-11-27, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan View Post
I do not think it is about controlling boxes or innovation but protecting content.
If Bell's concern was about protecting content they surely would have issued the cease and desist letter, not against VMedia but against Zazeen who were the first to introduce a skinny basic that could be used over any internet service provider (at a given fixed location in Zazeen's license area)?

In any event, this court ruling only applies to streaming Bell's TV channels over VMedia's skinny basic service with the Roku over any internet service provider (at any location in VMedia's license area).

VMedia are still permitted to stream Bell's TV channels (including specialty channels) via the Roku using VMedia's own internet service (at a fixed verified location). This includes the ability to watch, pause, rewind, skip through adverts on any show broadcast over the past week on the OTA broadcast channels.

It should also be noted that VMedia customers still have access to stream Bell's CTV Go and TSN Go and Crave TV services at any Canadian location over any internet service by contractual agreement with Bell and under the complete control of Bell.
post #128 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obed View Post
If Bell's concern was about protecting content they surely would have issued the cease and desist letter, not against VMedia but against Zazeen who were the first to introduce a skinny basic that could be used over any internet service provider (at a given fixed location in Zazeen's license area)?...
I don't think we know which company Bell contacted first. Vmedia's case went to trial first because Vmedia jumped the gun and took Bell to Ontario Superior Court, which is odd considering VMedia is licensed in several provinces. Normally, a copyright case would be filed with the Federal Court which has a separate division that specializes in intellectual property law and any ruling would apply across Canada. Maybe VMedia was trying to pull a fast one by getting a judge that wasn't immersed in copyright law every day.

Speaking of Zazeen, this action was filed on Nov. 10. I don't know if it's related, but everything lines up.
Court Number : T-1916-16
Style of Cause : BELL MEDIA INC. V. ZAZEEN INC.
Nature : Copyright Infringement [Actions]
Obed likes this.
post #129 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-01-03, 04:33 PM

Bell discontinued their court action against Zazeen on Dec. 28. I checked Zazeen's web site and it looks like they voluntarily brought their TV service into compliance.
Quote:
Zazeen provides our TV service through your Zazeen (closed) internet network, the service is non-nomadic (fixed address) and requires a Zazeen licensed set top box. Zazeen's TV service can also be viewed from your PC/iOS device/Android device, however you will need a Zazeen licensed STB connected to your home network to do so. You need to be Subscribe to our Internet access service or that of one of our re-transmission agents.
post #130 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-10, 11:17 AM

Any subscribers here to VMedia? My promo period is almost up with Cogeco and I'm considering making the switch. Would love to hear from any existing users.
post #131 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-10, 12:40 PM
Veteran

You should check Vmedia reviews on Google to get an idea about their service.
post #132 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-10, 09:05 PM
Veteran

Ratings on DSL Reports are very mixed (about 50/50.) I haven't tried them but have some concerns about the technology.

The main one is that IPTV use will consume a significant amount of the rated internet bandwidth on slower speed plans. This appears to result in a lot of complaints about slow internet speed and possible throttling. To compensate, you will need to obtain a much faster plan (if available) than would be required with a legacy BDU. This will increase costs, negating much of the savings promised by their cheaper prices.
post #133 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 08:13 AM
Veteran

That'll be a problem until they can start offering the service over fiber lines. That would be a much more compelling offering.
post #134 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 09:07 AM
Veteran

No, it will not make any difference until Vmedia stops Traffic Management.
Even now they offer 250 Mbps service so people should not have any issues watching Netflix in the evening, but they do.
IPTV uses only about 3Mbps so 15Mbps should be stable for IPTV and Netflix 4K as well.

CRTC should stop Internet providers from advertising unlimited speeds when they throttle in the evenings. It is unacceptable paying for 100Mbps and not being able to watch Netflix or download any updates to apps or games.

Last edited by bev fan; 2017-07-11 at 09:39 AM.
post #135 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 02:10 PM
Veteran

Activities like traffic shaping are expressly forbidden by CRTC policy. If it is happening, it needs to be brought to their attention though a formal complaint. If slow speed is due to poor infrastructure at vMedia's head end, that's a good reason to avoid them.

Tags
hugh thompson , iptv , ott video , vmedia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in