VMedia, IPTV Provider Discussions - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-05-24, 04:15 PM

Thanks for all of your info.

It's a shame that their TV and Internet is so bad, because here in BC, Shaw's prices are considerably higher than VMedia. For example, Shaw charges for 60Mbps, basic phone and basic tv, with a Best of HD package, all for about $190 per month. And I own the cable box. VMedia offers a similar deal for $40 less.

I guess it's true, you get what you pay for?

Sony XBR-65X900B | Shaw DCX3510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-05-24, 04:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
It's more likely that their servers cannot handle the load than any active throttling is being done. I'd also guess that their internet backbone connection is not fast enough either. These are signs of a company with financial issues. If they had the money to upgrade their service and build the business they would. Not doing so is a recipe for failure.
Probably it is both. One of their modes admitted that they throttle Netflix between 8:30pm and 10:30pm. Vmedia calls it traffic management. I just checked their forum and sure enough that post is gone.

Last edited by bev fan; 2016-05-24 at 10:04 PM.
post #108 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-05-24, 08:29 PM
Veteran

I am surprised to hear that. It may be against CRTC policy. Netflix has hosting agreements with many of the big internet providers. That keeps Netflix streaming speeds high and reduces load on the internet backbone. I'd guess that VMedia has no such agreement.

post #109 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-07-12, 08:47 AM
Veteran

It would be nice to hear some latest reviews on Vmedia's tv and Internet services. They have increased their tv bit rate to H.264 and have pretty good deal on dsl service with free installation and no dry loop fee.
There must be some users of that service that visit this forum.
Any input would be much appreciated.

Last edited by bev fan; 2016-07-12 at 08:03 PM.
post #110 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-09-20, 04:45 PM
Veteran

I have been testing Vmedia's Skinny Basic on my Roku3. Taking advantage of their free 7 day trial.
So far I am impressed, picture quality is pretty good when comparing to Bell Fibe and looks a lot better than on Vbox at Canada computers.
I hope Vmedia will be able to offer more channels on Roku players with any internet providers.
post #111 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-09-21, 01:56 PM

VMedia over Roku

We have also been testing the VMedia "skinny" package the last few days over our Roku. Not as crisp a signal as OTA, but certainly OK to watch. I've noticed that CBC Toronto usually has an audio sync problem. Checked some other stations and they were fine.
post #112 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-10-04, 05:58 AM
Veteran

Bell is taking Vmedia to court for live streaming Bell's channels CTV and CTV2 on Roku players.

Bell takes legal action against VMedia over live TV streaming app | Financial Post
post #113 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-10-04, 06:48 PM
Veteran

Apparently they are re-transmitting OTA signals and are trying to say they are transmitter and therefore don't have to pay. If that is indeed the case, this is not going to end well.
post #114 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-10-06, 06:05 PM
Veteran

Well, there are many negative posts against Bell on other forums but in my opinion Vmedia is in the wrong.
CTV and CTV2 are owned and operated by Bell and they should be able to have a say if they want their stations to be retransmitted by other companies or not. This is just common sense.

Another point is that Vmedia is not only retransmitting OTA signal but they are also reselling it and making nice profit.

Finally if for some crazy reason Vmedia will win this case then they will actually shoot themselves in the foot because it is very likely that another company will come to play and will resell OTA signal for $5 a month and this would be the end to Vmedia's Roku service.
post #115 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-10-06, 07:15 PM

This sort of thing has been tried a few times going back to iCraveTV (no relation to the current Crave TV), but as far as I know, it has never been tested in court because the companies trying it don't have the funds to legally defend it. There are no OTA retransmission fees in Canada even on cable (much to Bell's chagrin, as they took that up to the Supreme Court and lost), so the only argument they may have relates to copyright.
post #116 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-10-06, 07:21 PM

The dispute stems from differing interpretations of copyright law. This seems to be the relevant passage.

It states that it is not copyright infringement for a 'retransmitter', "comparable to that of a cable retransmission system" to distribute over-the-air television services. However, the definition of a "retransmitter" explicitly excludes services covered under the CRTC's digital exemption order. The point of contention is when an internet television service ceases to be "a person who performs a function comparable to that of a cable retransmission system, but does not include a new media retransmitter".

Unfortunately, this could go both ways. VMedia is a licensed BDU, but one can presume that the over-the-top service is not covered under that licence because it would fall under the new media exemption (i.e. the CRTC's "we do not regulate online media" rule). So, unless the CRTC carves out around the exemption to require licensing for broadcast distribution undertakings that transmit content from broadcast undertakings and specialty services and are distributed over the public internet, or copyright law is amended, it seems as if Bell may actually win this.
post #117 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-10-06, 08:25 PM

I didn't realize they had actually amended the Copyright Act to accommodate that. In that case, I suspect you're right that Bell should win this (as much as I might prefer they didn't). I can't see the CRTC altering their stance on this as it would open the floodgates.
post #118 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-10-07, 01:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan View Post
Well, there are many negative posts against Bell on other forums but in my opinion Vmedia is in the wrong.
CTV and CTV2 are owned and operated by Bell and they should be able to have a say if they want their stations to be retransmitted by other companies or not. This is just common sense.

Another point is that Vmedia is not only retransmitting OTA signal but they are also reselling it and making nice profit.
... that's the basic business model of every BDU in Canada, including Bell. They quite happily retransmit other companies signals, as the law allows them to.

The difference here is that by doing it in a context that may not be allowed (online), rather than the one that is allowed.
post #119 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-10-16, 05:26 PM
Rookie

Hello, I am very sorry to have taken my eye off this forum for so long, clearly alot of discussion about VMedia. I want to extend my appreciation to bev fan, whoever you may be, for keeping this thread current, albeit it with perhaps less than flattering posts, but my fault for not having been here to defend our honour. I will thank Tridus for setting him/her straight on what bev fan implied was egregious behaviour on our part, but not on the part of every other BDU in Canada.

I will make a point of checking in regularly now.
dave604 likes this.
post #120 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-10-16, 05:34 PM
Rookie

Hi Sparkster, there is no question that like many other services we have less than satisfactory experiences for some customers, but overall, I would point out we have grown to over 20,000 homes in just three years, with little marketing, mostly by word of mouth, so we can be all bad. I will admit that if one is a heavy gamer or torrenter, from time to time our services might not be optimal, but 1TB+ monthly users represent less than 2% of our subscriber base. There is more than enough bandwidth always available for real-time services, and with rare exceptions, the same for streaming services like Netflix and Youtube. As for TV there is nothing "so bad" about our TV service. Again we have had lapses from time to time, but our average TV sub has been with us for two years, which we think might be a useful indicator. We can always be better, and we strive to, but no one's service is perfect. Reach out to me by PM and we will find a low risk way for you to find out for yourself. We believe we have alot to offer the Western market as a genuine alternative to what you have been used to.

Tags
hugh thompson , iptv , ott video , vmedia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in