VMedia, IPTV Provider Discussions - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-11, 01:30 PM
Veteran

They are at 720p but because the signal is highly compressed the video quality is way lower than 720p on Bell fibe or bell satellite TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-11, 01:52 PM

Thanks.

I guess I'll have to take another look at them once they improve the picture quality.
post #93 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-11, 04:40 PM

Is Zazeen the same thing? Here in London, I'm seeing their ads all over bus shelters & some billboards. http://thompsonontech.ca/tech/insigh...-showdown-r205

Last edited by kylelarrow; 2015-05-11 at 04:46 PM. Reason: found new link comparing

post #94 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-11, 04:46 PM

Zazeen/Acanac is a similar concept, but a different service:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=157044

Distributel is a distributer of the Zazeen service.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=228465
post #95 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-12, 11:04 AM
Veteran

Of the two, VMedia looks to be a more rounded offering. Acanac is cheaper but has some significant omissions in available channels. VMedia compares well to traditional services as far as channel availability is concerned. However, there is very little, if any, price advantage. One big omission for both services is time shifted network channels.

Looking at the services from a technical viewpoint, both have significant shortcomings. PVR capability is limited on both services. Acanac uses a more traditional PVR hardware model but limits the number of simultaneous recordings to 1, 2 or 3 depending on the plan. Acanac also claims to support whole home PVR which is a nice addition. VMedia records programs remotely, a good idea for this type of service, but imposes a one week time limit and has a small selection of supported channels. The hardware for both services appears to be lightweight Android boxes. That can work well but they charge a premium for this type of hardware. Due to the lack of channels, Acanac just doesn't appear to have a well developed TV offering. Considering the high cost of the service and the technical limitations, I don't see Vemedia as a good alternative either.
post #96 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-12, 12:45 PM
Veteran

I agree, with the latest price increases Vmedia's price advantage is gone.
If I switched to Vmedia, I would actually pay over $30 more for the same channel selection than what I am paying now in a three bundle service.
I know when you compare prices on line, Vmedia looks more cost effective, but we know that Bell and Rogers offer big discounts that make them more attractive.
I think it is Rogers and Bell that increase costs for Vmedia and CRTC just goes along with that.
Given the environment that these companies have in Canada, I do not think that they will succeed and that is unfortunate for these new companies and customers in this country.

Last edited by bev fan; 2015-05-12 at 01:49 PM.
post #97 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-12, 01:17 PM
Veteran

I agree. The savings VMedia claims is not there in reality. They are comparing to the highest cost for unbundled services from Bell with no promotions. There are alternatives that can beat VMedia in price. A significant portion of the cost for VMedia's TV service must be internet data charges. Bell and Rogers saw this coming when they applied to the CRTC for wholesale data surcharges against internet resellers. I'd like to see the CRTC reverse that decision but I don't see it happening.
post #98 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-02-21, 11:53 AM

Anyone is Vmedia subscriber? I am reviewing my contract with Rogers (tv, internet, home phone) and came across Vmedia through CRTC. Vmedia's pricing seems to be $40 lower than my contract with Rogers (currently $160), and they both provide similar packages. I would like some feedback on the quality of service from Vmedia from current subscribers.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
post #99 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-02-21, 01:12 PM
Veteran

Most of the subscribers do not last even one year with Vmedia.
Basically their internet and tv services are unreliable and tv service is not in HD.
You can check their forum but they delete negative comments and few months ago they changed something so that now there are very few new posts.
Vmedia has a display of their tv service at Canada Computers so customers can go and check it out.

I used to be a Vmedia customer and I can say that I am happy to pay more for reliable service.

Last edited by bev fan; 2016-02-21 at 03:35 PM.
post #100 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-02-21, 01:18 PM

Thanks Bev. I wonder when Rogers or Bell is going to revise their packages in light of the March 1 crtc guideline (?). The Vmedia's package suits my needs, too bad their service is not reliable.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
post #101 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-02-21, 03:44 PM
Veteran

I think that their weakest link is the Internet. Unreliable internet speed affects the tv and home phone service.
Vnedia's android tv box is not the best choice either. Anybody that has any experience with android media players knows that they are not stable.
Paying for a tv service and constant need to reboot the box or clear the cache does not provide the best tv experience to say the least.
post #102 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-05-19, 02:45 PM

Any new reports about VMedia? Their internet and TV service is coming here to Victoria BC in a couple of weeks. Is their service still flaky?

Sony XBR-65X900B | Shaw DCX3510
post #103 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-05-24, 11:11 AM
Veteran

Their internet is more expensive than Rogers or Bell's Internet. Vmedia throttles almost everything in the evenings, You Tube, Netflix and even apps downloads or updates.
Their tv is not really HD but SD at best. Besides that their internet speed is never what they advertise, 100 Mbs could be down to 2 Mbs.
When that happens the tv service becomes also useless.
You should read more reviews but do not bother checking Vmedia's forum because often they remove negative comments and I witnessed that many times, even have some saved just to prove that they do it.
post #104 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-05-24, 11:23 AM
Veteran

I saw a demo at Canada Computers, and their HD quality is nowhere near what Bell and Rogers provide.
post #105 of 171 (permalink) Old 2016-05-24, 01:16 PM
Veteran

It's more likely that their servers cannot handle the load than any active throttling is being done. I'd also guess that their internet backbone connection is not fast enough either. These are signs of a company with financial issues. If they had the money to upgrade their service and build the business they would. Not doing so is a recipe for failure.

Tags
hugh thompson , iptv , ott video , vmedia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in