VMedia, IPTV Provider Discussions - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-08, 06:47 PM

They already serve Ontario. This is their 4 new regions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-08, 07:34 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the info

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #78 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-08, 09:25 PM
Veteran

So this seems great (see that it's coming to Calgary).

I'd sign up in a instant ......EXCEPT ......no media box support?? I need one of these VBox's for every single TV - that sucks.

I don't understand why they don't design something like the TabloTV: I put one VBox in my electrical room in the basement (where I attach a USB HDD for recordings) and then distribute the signals throughout my house via "apps". Roku apps, HTML5, Chromecast etc.

Or no Vbox at all and just streaming but without PVR functionality through "apps". But instead I need to purchase or rent another (and this time proprietary) streaming box.

I don't get it ?!?!?

post #79 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-08, 09:28 PM

So this will be coming to St. John's, Newfoundland. Interesting...huh but until they offer speeds like Rogers Ignite does im staying put. Ill check back in the future !

Last edited by jfoley85; 2015-05-08 at 10:34 PM.
post #80 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-08, 09:46 PM

Awesome! So how does everyone find their Internet service? (cable vs DSL)
post #81 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-08, 09:57 PM

In St. Johns they are also only offering home phone so like I said once they offer a service like Fiber OP at least and TV is offered too Ill considered it. Right now Im getting a three product discount through Rogers. Ignite unlimited Internet. And my Landlord chips in $ 47 for me already for my bill. (-:

Last edited by jfoley85; 2015-05-08 at 10:36 PM.
post #82 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-08, 11:09 PM

Just got off the phone with Rogers they offered me unlimited Canada Wide Calling and unlimited Text & 500 MB of Data for 60.00 right now I pay $62 with Telus for Unlimited local only with the other same features. Gonna switch I think as I can save 12 % on my bill. Share Everything Plan it is ! These guys should offer cell phones??? Wonder if they might sign on with one eventually or launch their own. Almost every provider offers one.

Last edited by jfoley85; 2015-05-08 at 11:57 PM.
post #83 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-09, 06:55 AM
Veteran

@Wheelman
I had their cable internet service for a while, but switched to another provider because in the evenings I could not stream anything, as the speed would go down.
I was considering to get the TV service also, but I was pretty sure that it would not work properly with the internet service at that time, and they did not offer too many HD channels when comparing to other providers.
When I was leaving Vmedia they said that they were going to upgrade my area soon, so I may consider them again when my contract with Bell expires.

Last edited by bev fan; 2015-05-09 at 08:57 AM.
post #84 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-09, 07:57 AM

jfoley85: This is going OT, but have you looked at Rogers coverage map in your province? I left Rogers years ago because their coverage was so terrible in NS, but it used to be comically bad in NFLD. If you never leave town I guess it would be okay.
post #85 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-09, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
Awesome! So how does everyone find their Internet service? (cable vs DSL)
Cable internet customer for nearly 2 years, no issues, no congestion. But I'm not in a big city.

VMedia now have a TPIA in their own right, legacy customers are on CiK unless they change.
post #86 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-09, 12:24 PM
Veteran

Does anyone have a subscription to VMedia TV? How does it compare to other type of TV service (satellite or cable?) How reliable is it with cable internet in Rogers areas?
post #87 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-09, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmj View Post
jfoley85: This is going OT, but have you looked at Rogers coverage map in your province? I left Rogers years ago because their coverage was so terrible in NS, but it used to be comically bad in NFLD. If you never leave town I guess it would be okay.
I was in there today made the switch. Service is actually ALOT better then it used to be and they have extended their coverage for NFLD so I dont have to worry about leaving town.
post #88 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-10, 03:00 PM

Quote:
ExDilbert - Does anyone have a subscription to VMedia TV? How does it compare to other type of TV service (satellite or cable?) How reliable is it with cable internet in Rogers areas?
Since for me it's just home phone they offer I'd say more people will get this home phone as another phone choice:Rather then Bell Aliant as it (VMedia) offers more choice for them here at a cheaper rate for this company. They are definitely cheaper then BA . I believe you can bundle Bell TV satellite with their (Bell Aliant) services. Definitely can with Fiber OP TV bundling it with home phone, internet and Bell cell phones . Rogers offering their own to certain parts (Cell Phones) here and bundling and all services for Newfoundland. If they do not have internet or do (for some) and have services such as Shaw Direct or others with only TV offerings - I can see people wanting to use this as Shaw doesn`t offer home phone here. With Bell cell phones you can get Bell Aliant services too and with Rogers like I said they have their own services.

Last edited by jfoley85; 2015-05-10 at 04:27 PM.
post #89 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-10, 03:15 PM
Veteran

I was thinking to switch from Bell fibe to Vmedia, but after visiting Canada computers store and playing with Vmedia TV service, I have second thoughts.
The service overall looks good, easy to navigate and channel selection is pretty good. Having apps on the same TV box is also a nice option.
The only thing that is a big dissapointment is picture quality. It is far from bell fibe quality and in the store they had it hooked up to a 32" TV so if I connect it to my 60" TV, the picture will most likely be a lot worse.
I was told that picture quality will improve with the release of new Vmedia android boxes and then upgrading them to H.265 decoding.
This may happen sometimes this year, but the store in my area does not have new boxes yet.
I will visit the store few months from now to see if there is any improvement in the video quality, if it is reasonable I may just jump the ship.

Last edited by bev fan; 2015-05-10 at 03:41 PM.
post #90 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-05-11, 12:59 PM

I am glad to see vmedia will be offering service in BC.

I do have a couple of questions:

- what resolution are the HD channels encoded at? 1080i? 1080p?

- for those of us with legacy projectors & TV's, what is the component video resolution? 1080i?

Thanks,

Bill

Tags
hugh thompson , iptv , ott video , vmedia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in