VMedia, IPTV Provider Discussions - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-10-25, 06:44 AM
Veteran

Since we have few posters here that have Vmedia tv service installed , could you please share your experience with the service , thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 08:49 AM

Location: Waterloo, Rogers Cable Internet, Panasonic 55" Plasma, Insignia 5101HD, Cisco 8642, Kaleidescape
Bump.

I, too, would be interested in hearing some feedback from subscribers. Especially if you happen to be in the Kitchener/Waterloo area.

My HT equipment:Epson 4030 Projector, Pioneer VSX-1028, Kaleidescape 3U Server, M500 Player, Strato, Alto & Terra
post #48 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 12:15 PM

There is one person in my office who has it and has been happy with it. London ON here. I can get more details as to whether he is on Cable or DSL etc.

LONSat

post #49 of 171 (permalink) Old 2014-02-04, 08:01 PM
jem

We are seriously considering Vmedia. I had a look at Canada Computers in Waterloo. TV pic is as good as Rogers (but 720p, I believe). Speed seemed good, as well. Anyone home experience out there?
post #50 of 171 (permalink) Old 2014-02-04, 08:39 PM

I have VMedia internet and have been very happy with it.

Feedback on their iptv services is not as strong on other forums. It seems to be much improved but still less than stellar performance. Their own forum documents and confirms some failings on Sunday for Superbowl coverage. Their time will probably come, but they are not quite there yet.
post #51 of 171 (permalink) Old 2014-02-05, 09:32 AM
Veteran

I have tried Vmedia tv at canada computers and as I was switching channels the picture had frozen couple of times .
I am considering switching to their Internet but I will have to read more reviews on their high speed service.
post #52 of 171 (permalink) Old 2014-03-17, 01:04 PM
Rookie

Hi Been awhile

I am sorry to have not been here for awhile, but I would encourage you to revisit those forums again, you will see a dramatic difference in sentiment even in the last 6 or so weeks since your posts. But that is not why I am writing. I am writing to ask for your help. VMedia will be having a media event on April 2, and we would like to invite tech gurus, pundits and bloggers, and I am asking you to bring to my attention any of those which you respect and think should attend. Any help will be appreciated. Best regards George.

Last edited by GeorgeBurger; 2014-03-17 at 01:31 PM.
post #53 of 171 (permalink) Old 2014-03-17, 04:23 PM
Rookie

VMedia Channel Changes

Hi I am pleased to announce we are improving on the rationality of our channel placements.

We have been aware for example that FOX should probably not be 170 channels away from CBS, ABC and NBC, but priorities being what they are we just never got around to it. We have remedied that and made other changes, as follows:

WUHF(FOX)HD was 201, now is 19
WTVS(PBS)HD was 61, now is 20
CTV Barrie was 20, now is 21
RT was 35, now is 34

Many thanks to our subscribers for their patience.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2014-03-17 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
post #54 of 171 (permalink) Old 2014-04-02, 07:46 PM

VMedia announced their cloud-based PVR service today: http://www.canadiancordcutting.com/2...based-pvr.html

Adventures in Canadian Cord Cutting: http://www.canadiancordcutting.com/
post #55 of 171 (permalink) Old 2014-04-03, 09:13 AM
Member #1

Calling it a cloud based PVR service is pure marketing hype. My thoughts are at Vmedia introduces network PVR feature for select channels.

In a nutshell though, I want Vmedia to succeed but they need to offer basic PVR functionality first before a network PVR for a few OTA channels. George told me last summer that Vmedia can't offer PVR functionality because of CRTC restrictions (hence the Aereo type functionality) but the reality is that Zazeen has been offering it for almost six months now.

post #56 of 171 (permalink) Old 2014-04-03, 05:36 PM
Rookie

Well, thanks for that Hugh. I admit I can't clearly interpret what your first two sentences signify, but I can certainly straighten out what you suggest I said last summer. I never said that CRTC restrictions kept us from offering PVR functionality, you better check your notes, because the CRTC does not regulate copyright. There was and is nothing keeping s from doing client side PVR, and we can, but we just don't think it is the way to go forward with an IP based service.But thanks very much for your good wishes.
post #57 of 171 (permalink) Old 2014-04-03, 10:04 PM

Just curious as to why you guys aren't offering a local HDD based PVR solution? Since you guys are android based I'm sure it can be enabled easily with a software upgrade?
post #58 of 171 (permalink) Old 2014-04-03, 10:20 PM
Member #1

Sorry George.

I realize now that it was your boss who was discussing the PVR restrictions and I remember now that you weren't present.

For the record, when he was demoing the PVR functionality on the Ethnic channels, he said he would like to offer PVR functionality on the Canadian English channels but Vmedia was unable to. He implied it was a CRTC restriction not a technical constraint. It made sense since you could PVR everything back then for the Ethnic channels so I still don't understand why you couldn't do it for all the 60 or so channels you offer. Perhaps you could elaborate?

In reviewing, we had been discussing the fact that the CRTC required Vmedia to bundle internet / TV service together (for authentication purposes) so I thought both were regulatory restrictions.

Quote:
I admit I can't clearly interpret what your first two sentences signify
Sorry let me drill down on them on both sentences individually since I didn't have much time when I posted.

Quote:
Calling it a cloud based PVR service is pure marketing hype.
As I wrote in my article, I consider the "cloud" and "TV anywhere" labels to be hype because the reality is you can't watch the recorded shows anywhere, only within Wifi range of your home internet connection.

Cloud and TV Anywhere imply you can watch shows that you have recorded anywhere you have an internet connection. Some media reporters at the bar yesterday, including Global, erroneously reported you could watch recordings anywhere in the world you had an internet connection apparently based on information they received during your press session. (I was unable to make it so I am only going by what several reporters wrote) To clarify, I spoke to Susan at your office today who confirmed what I wrote so I think its fair to say that calling it "TV anywhere" is deceptive. I'll let other posters weigh in on that one.

Not sure why you misunderstood this. Its just a link to my complete article where I discuss your new service. hope that helps.

You do raise a question though.

If "There was and is nothing keeping s from doing client side PVR, and we can" then why only offer network PVR service for 17 OTA channels and not for all channels you carry? (see my next post for why I thought you were only carrying the OTA channels.)

post #59 of 171 (permalink) Old 2014-04-03, 10:33 PM
Member #1

Quote:
Just curious as to why you guys aren't offering a local HDD based PVR solution? Since you guys are android based I'm sure it can be enabled easily with a software upgrade?
I was told by an expert in the industry that it was because Android could not offer the proper authentication technologies that a cable or IPTV box could because it was open source. According to the expert I spoke to, it was the reason that Zazeen could offer a local PVR and Vmedia couldn't. (apparently Zazeen uses closed source encryption which rightly or wrongly is considered more secure by content providers)

I'll let George comment on this further because he would know better.

As far a network PVR, Vmedia and Android has always been able to do that.

In addition, and George can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not 100% sure if the PVR functionality on the Ethnic channels is really PVR functionality in the sense that we think of it.

The way Alexei told it to me (and george can clarify) Vmedia actually records every program on every Ethnic channel they offer for about 2 weeks and then offers it back as a network PVR service but is probably better described as a VOD service since each individual subscriber is not actually recording each individual show.

I was under the impression, but again George can help, that the network PVR functionality for the 17 OTA channels was the same idea. Record every show OTA and then allow users to play them back.

The reason I thought this is that it only applies to OTA channels which presumably Vmedia can record and offer (hence my analogy to Aereo), as opposed to cable channels which would require Vmedia to negotiate contracts and pay more money for.

Again George should be able to clarify.

post #60 of 171 (permalink) Old 2014-04-04, 05:54 PM
Rookie

Hugh I think it would be useful if you clarified your role in commenting on our service. I have now read your blog, and these responses, and it would be helpful, and ethical, if you would disclose whether you are wearing your hat as reviewer or as a consultant, which you have held yourself out to be. I point this out because frankly I find your reference to anything we have said as "deceptive" to be offensive, and disingenuous at best. We have already established that your recollections were not accurate, so it may be useful to target words like "deceptive" at anyone else very, very carefully.

You seem to be very knowledgeable about cloud technology and our business, so you should be able to draw a distinction between capability and ability. There is no question that our cloud service is capabale of providing the service anywhere. Knowledgable as you are about android as well, and having had the benefit of Alexei's demo you would know that our TV technology is deployable as an app, and as such our cloud-content can be accessed anywhere, on any android device. It just so happens that at this point we do not have the rights to do so. But to suggest that there is any limitation on our technology to keep the capability strictly within the wifi range of the home in question is ...well...you know, the "D" word. Referring to straw men such as "some media reporters" who were citing what I "apparently" said is not really up to journalistic standards, which I don't know if you purport to maintain, which again gives rise to my suggestion that you disclose what hat you are wearing. Global in fact left before we had our press session so it is unlikely they would have gleaned that from us there, and in fact we said nothing in that press session to support your recollections. Finally, Susan confirmed that she told you of our limitations at this time, but certainly did not express those limitations in the context of capability, only ability, based on rights.I have more to say, but we should just let the posters weigh in on this one.

Tags
hugh thompson , iptv , ott video , vmedia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in