VMedia, IPTV Provider Discussions - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-08-19, 11:32 AM

cptcarter, you won't be able to get VMedia over Cogeco internet. VMedia TV is only available where VMedia provides the physical interent connection to your home.

EDIT: This appears to be incorrect - see below.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2013-08-20 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-08-20, 07:54 AM

Not sure where you're getting that info Dr. Dave. Vmedia's cable Internet is provisioned through CIKTel who are a third-party provider over Rogers and Cogeco's last-mile infrastructure.
post #33 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-08-20, 08:31 AM

pedro, thanks for the info - I wasn't aware that VMedia used Cogeco Cable's infrastructure.

post #34 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-08-29, 09:28 PM
Rookie

Cool VMedia Installation Frustration.

I confess, I am doing a combination of recounting my experiences and venting..
I decided to cut the Rogers cord a month ago and am already really regretting my decision..
.....I can almost hear the Rogers CSR lurkers gloating as I type this.

I decided on Vmedia as my ISP and gave them a 21 day notice. The first inkling of a problem was when I signed up..The Rogers termination code on the vmedia website is identified as optional, but I got a call about 3 days later from a CSR who insisted that I had to provide the number immediately. I called rogers, dealt with the 20 minute automated hold sequence and the pushy CSR's trying to convince me of the error of my ways..I got the number and promptly emailed it to vmedia. Later that day, I get another call from vmedia later that day demanding the number. I seriously don't have the time for this..I told her to check her email....She insisted that she couldn't do that and that I had to look it up and read the number to her!! Seriously? Um..okay...Eats into my work-time to spoon feed them and makes them look totally inefficient...especially when I ended up getting an email reply 6 days later indicating that they had FINALLY read my email. Now I know why their CSR's aren't answering the phones....more on that later.

When I finally got the confirmation of installation from vmedia over a week later, none of my selected times were accepted..Rogers have instead hung me up for a whole day...Look, vmedia.. I get that you are stuck with having the Rogers guys do the install, but tell me again why you asked me to select a time slot if you know Rogers won't consider it? It makes you guys look like powerless puppets...which may be true under the sheets, but is something you might want to hide rather than put on your webpage.

Sooo anyway..it looked like the stars would align..I didn't get my time slots, but I got one of the 3 days I asked for. Rogers is due here tomorrow. things are looking good.. Oh, but wait...VMedia shipped the hardware via fedex. Do you think it would go out 21 days ago, on the date I ordered it? Nooooo!!..They ship it out on the date the installation is confirmed..and they use Fedex GROUND so it arrives too late for the install. Awesome! Because spending the day on the phone with fedex trying to get my hardware delivered will be a great time killer while I wait for the Rogers guy!!

When I originally got the install confirmation, I thought things were going well so I decided to get Vmedia set up at my daughters college rental. I filled out the form online a week ago and asked for an install of Sept 2-4th. The webpage indicated this was doable...awesome!!..Just to be sure, I indicated that the install is urgent in my application and then I called to indicate, again, this was very urgent..While my hardware for my first install languishes in the back of a fedex truck somewhere, my request for the second install has descended into a similar void. At this moment, 2 days away from my first chosen date, I have received no confirmation of anything...

So in addition to chasing fedex's butt tomorrow trying to track the hardware plus waiting all day for the Rogers guy to show, I get to spend the day trying to find another isp to set the internet up at the second location for Tuesday. And no, vmedia has not shipped hardware for the second location yet either... but if the Rogers guys suddenly makes themselves available on one of my dates, apparently there is some Vmedia guy driving around with spare hardware in his truck and he can drop it off...funny that the CSR didn't offer that option for me, for tomorrow....

Oh, but that is not even best part..Just tried to get in touch with vmedia... I had to call 12 times tonight and had been in the queue cumulatively over an hour trying to find out what the heck is going on with these 2 installs. Every time I get to the first in the line position in the queue, I get bumped to voicemail and would have to dial back in. Seriously, it took me 72 minutes to get a CSR..
When I finally got a CSR, the excuses were many and varied.
First, Vmedia doesn't ship the hardware you bought until the installation is confirmed...Seriously? Call me old school, but if you buy hardware anywhere else off the internet, don't you get it shipped on date of order?
Second, they "hope" the hardware gets to the customer on time, but once it hits the domain of fedex ground, you are on your own, here the number..Vmedia doesn't bother checking to see if you will actually get it on time.
My final beef is, escalation procedure? What escalation procedure? When you choose a date, don't hold your breath to get information from vmedia/rogers one way or the other. There is no escalation procedure to get Rogers to move on an urgent install. If Rogers doesn't email vmedia to confirm, you don't hear anything. The date blows past, there is no email from Vmedia to reassure you that they are on it, no estimated time frame. You could be hung up for a month with no contact from anyone. Oh, I am not entirely exaggerating...The Vmedia CSR I spoke to tonight tried to reassure me that it wouldn't be a month, but she wouldn't narrow it down either..

You will have to excuse me now. While I have a ton of recommendations on how Vmedia could improve customer service by shipping sold product, timely email followups (even just to say "no news, but we are monitoring this for you), Customer record integration with the email system and more CSR's to handle call volume, I can't stay online..You see, .I have about 3 hours before my internet service is toast and because of the missing hardware, I have no clue if I will get service back before the weekend ends. I have to use these few hours to find another company to get me service at the second location for Tuesday. Yeah, it looks like I have to call Rogers to get one of those damn sticks...could someone stop that Rogers lurker from laughing please?

If things with Vmedia get better, I will be back singing their praises.....

...So, how are your plans for the long weekend shaping up?

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2013-08-30 at 10:09 AM. Reason: moved to existing thread
post #35 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-08-30, 08:07 AM
Veteran

Good lord, that's ridiculous! Who schedules an installation without making sure the necessary hardware is going to be available?

I mean, seriously? That's amateur hour.
post #36 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-08-30, 03:09 PM
Rookie

Angry

The saga has continued this morning.

I chased around fedex trying to find the hardware this morning. The guy had to do a special run to get it to me.

And so I started waiting for Rogers to arrive...Good thing a pipe exploded on the top floor of my house at 8 am..it gave me plenty to do while I waited.

The water got cleaned up and I decided to go ahead and set up the router and modem..After a few garden variety install problems, I had internet....

..Wait a minute...

*****THE ROGERS GUY NEVER SHOWED*******

Seriously!!! You have got to be {insert swearing here} kidding me.

Apparently they flipped a switch this morning somewhere off my property and I didn't need to sit here at home all day waiting for them.

{insert swearing here}Awesome...

Can't wait to see what Tuesday's install with bring..you know, the one I have STILL not received equipment for and have gotten no confirmation of..... I have to drive 60 km for that one...

Not to be a total killjoy, I ran a speedtest and got 44.16 download speed close enough to the 45 that I was going for..
post #37 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-09-03, 09:36 AM

I'm curious how VMedia's bandwidth works for both tv and internet. If you have 3 boxes, each streaming an HD channel, that would be around 15 mbps total of bandwidth. So would this be subtracted from your internet speed? For example, if you sub'd to 25 mbps, does this mean you would have a total of 10 mbps left for surfing?
post #38 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-09-03, 06:21 PM

That is correct however Vmedia's bitrate is only 2mbps for HD, so having 3 boxes running would only be a 6mbps hit.
post #39 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-09-03, 09:40 PM

cptcarter, the same is true for any IPTV service whether its Vmedia or Bell Fibe or Telus.
post #40 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-09-03, 10:25 PM

There is no longer any impact on speed with Bell fibe. I believe the same is true with telus as well.
post #41 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-09-04, 07:58 AM

Impact still exists. The only difference is that Bell and Telus segment the capacity between internet usage and their private network but the bandwidth constraints are still there (hence why Bell has a 3HD / 1SD or so streaming limitation). The good news is there is more bandwidth available so the constraints are less likely to be reached or in many cases even noticed.
post #42 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-09-04, 03:09 PM

The impact we're talking about is on the downstream speeds that the customer can use. On Vmedia, watching one or more channels will slow down the connection. Even though Bell and Telus is limiting the number of channels that can be viewed or recorded at the same time, there is no impact on the users speed even when watching the maximum number of channels allowed by Bell and Telus.
post #43 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-09-04, 04:43 PM

In my neighbourhood, the max download speed is restricted if you subscribe to IPTV. Last I checked, I could not get 25 Mbps download and IPTV. If I subbed to IPTV, the max I could get was 15 Mbps download.
post #44 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-09-05, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitby View Post
Look, vmedia.. I get that you are stuck with having the Rogers guys do the install, but tell me again why you asked me to select a time slot if you know Rogers won't consider it? It makes you guys look like powerless puppets...which may be true under the sheets, but is something you might want to hide rather than put on your webpage.
Sorry to hear of your frustrations Whitby. My own concerns were rising as I was nearing my installation. I just had cable internet installed with VMedia this morning and thankfully, Rogers agreed to my first suggested installation date and actually showed up within the planned time slot.

I realise this does nothing to improve your experience, but it does indicate that there is a process. When Rogers don't play ball VMedia are powerless in the short term, but the fault appears to lie with Rogers and not VMedia's communication. When the process does work, then there is a value for the customer in picking a time slot on the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitby View Post
Rogers is due here tomorrow. things are looking good.. Oh, but wait...VMedia shipped the hardware via fedex. Do you think it would go out 21 days ago, on the date I ordered it? Nooooo!!..They ship it out on the date the installation is confirmed..and they use Fedex GROUND so it arrives too late for the install.
Agree 100%. My shipment notification also came only after the confirmation of the installation date. So, I spent yesterday waiting in for the fedex delivery (which was originally expected for the day before) hoping they would indeed show up. Again, thankfully all ended up well.

But I agree that VMedia ought to ship the equipment out as soon as it is ordered and paid for. This policy should be improved.

If on a rare occasion the likes of Rogers, Bell, Cogeco are unable to confirm an installation at a given address then VMedia should have an effective return and refund process.

As for the internet, I am consistently getting the advertised 45 Mbps in a number of tests. Will see if it slows down now the neighbourhood kids are on their way home from school ...
post #45 of 171 (permalink) Old 2013-09-05, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM4243 View Post
In my neighbourhood, the max download speed is restricted if you subscribe to IPTV. Last I checked, I could not get 25 Mbps download and IPTV. If I subbed to IPTV, the max I could get was 15 Mbps download.
Most neighbourhoods are like that. My point is that if they limit you to 15/10 for IPTV, you'll pay for the 15/10 tier and you'll get 15/10 regardless of whether the TV is in use or not. With Vmedia, you pay for whatever speed you subscribe to and the speed will take a small hit once the TVs are on.

Tags
hugh thompson , iptv , ott video , vmedia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in