VMedia, IPTV Provider Discussions - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 10:13 AM

This is now Feb 2018. Any updates on Vmedia service. My contract with Rogers is up for renewal, and I am looking for good alternative.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 02:33 PM
Veteran

Vmedia has pretty good discounts now for new customers. I think it is $15 discount for internet (12 months promo) for dsl 50Mbps and $10 discount for cable 150Mbps plans with 2 months of free Premium Tv. Also they have promo code RFD76845 for a free installation until 28th of February.
I am not sure about TV picture quality now and not sure about their internet service reliability but overall the offer seems great.
Would be nice to hear some reviews from current Vmedia customers.
post #153 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-03-16, 02:34 PM

Based on a lack of feedback regarding IPTV I suspect that Bell and Rogers still have us over a barrel, because if you can't watch what you want OTA - there are no alternatives.

That sucks.

post #154 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-03-16, 04:50 PM
Veteran

The issue is more likely that the alternatives to traditional BDUs are somewhat underwhelming in services and equipment choices. Channel choices are limited. Most of them appear to use proprietary Android boxes with little or no recording capabilities. TV services are tied to the provider's internet which unfairly restricts the choice of internet for consumers.

Seeing as the incumbents own most of the channels and infrastructure in addition to selling TV services that's not surprising. They seem to intentionally cripple competing services though CRTC lobbying and by placing restrictions on competitors as to how they can provide channels or services. This will not improve until concentration of ownership is eliminated and increasing vertical integration of the industry is stopped. For starters, ownership of infrastructure, ISP services, broadcasting services and communications services by the same company needs to be eliminated. It has become counterproductive and, like most cartels, is hurting consumers. We need more competition, not less, if Canada is to remain competitive and Canadians are to have affordable choices.
Tridus, Phage, Gentleman and 1 others like this.
post #155 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-03-16, 04:59 PM
Veteran

I am not sure how good is Vmedia. Last time I checked Canada computers it looked that their picture quality has improved.
Currently Vmedia is working on Apple TV app for their tv service and they will be getting new hardware as well, so they say. Vmedia should be looking into having more modems available with their internet services IMO as well.

Another Internet and IPTV provider to consider is Netfox. Although their internet packages are very expensive together with IPTV their price is similar to Vmedia. Netfox IPTV is available on Apple TV 4th generation.

These providers may be less expensive than Bell or Rogers only with lower tv packages. Once you start adding channels the cost could exceede what Bell or Rogers charge.
post #156 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-03-16, 05:23 PM
Veteran

Even if Vmedia were to fix all of their technical issues, it would still remain a crippled system. When consumers hear IPTV, they think video on demand streaming of all available programming without restrictions. That's where IPTV is headed eventually, it's just a matter of time. Many studios and most broadcasters won't allow that and place burdensome restrictions on services that want to provide such services.

Companies like Netflix and Amazon are producing their own content in order to get away from traditional broadcaster and studio restrictions. The current, traditional broadcasting system is what gave rise to Netflix and, as a side effect, illegal streaming services. It's similar to any situation caused by prohibition, supply restrictions or high taxation. If possible, a legal competitor will step in to fill demand. If the product isn't available legally for a reasonable price, a criminally run black market steps in to fulfill demand. As long as Vmedia must appease the CRTC and it's broadcaster created system of regulations, it will not succeed.
Tridus, Phage, Gentleman and 1 others like this.
post #157 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-03-16, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The issue is more likely that the alternatives to traditional BDUs are somewhat underwhelming in services and equipment choices.

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #158 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-03-16, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
As long as Vmedia must appease the CRTC and it's broadcaster created system of regulations, it will not succeed.

Hopefully in my lifetime. This shift to app-based, on-demand viewing is taking quite some time. I would assume because the incumbents are so entrenched in the space and resist change through all legal (and some no so legal) means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #159 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-03-16, 05:41 PM
Veteran

I don’t agree at all. If pirates could produce good picture quality and reliable system then Vmedia shouldn’t have any problems either.
I think that Vmedia does not have enough customers and therefore not enough cash flow to make solid investment in better hardware and technology.
Their crippled system just makes more customers leave them and bad reviews just prevent new customers from joining them.
post #160 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-03-16, 05:56 PM
Veteran

Part of Vmedia's picture quality issue is probably due to the way connections to incumbent ISPs are leased. TPIAs have experienced similar issues. It's probably worse for Vmedia due to the inclusion of TV broadcasting.
post #161 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-03-17, 05:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan View Post
I don’t agree at all. If pirates could produce good picture quality and reliable system then Vmedia shouldn’t have any problems either.
Comparing apples to telephones. Pirates simply have to send video over whatever Internet people happen to have. Over my 300Mbps fibre line, that's a whole lot of room to produce very high quality video. For non-streaming piracy (ie: downloading an entire season), it doesn't need to work in real time, which further allows for improved quality. Frankly, pirate picture quality is generally better quality than Rogers picture quality in NB due to Rogers antiquated infrastructure out here. You telling me Rogers doesn't have money? This is also true of OTT services, which can simply use whatever I have and deliver appropriately.

Vmedia and similar providers are crippled by rules that force them to provide their own Internet an only offer TV service over it. That is limited to ADSL in lots of areas, which is garbage by current standards and not up to providing realtime multiple HDTV streams and doing absolutely anything else. If they had reasonable access to the same fibre line I have now, the outcome could be very, very different.

This market is absolutely not a level playing field, and it's due to continual failures by the CRTC and government to promote a competitive marketplace. Instead, they love vertical integration and the oligopoly it creates.
Gentleman likes this.
post #162 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-03-17, 05:42 PM
Veteran

Not true at all. None of the pirate services have better picture quality and reliability than Rogers or Bell.
If Netfox can have good Internet service with pretty good quality IPTV service so should Vmedia.

Most problems with Vmedia IPTV are related to their android box. Once they complete Vmedia app for Apple TV and release new IPTV box their IPTV will improve greatly in my opinion.

As for picture quality Vmedia has improved a lot as well. I have just visited Canadacomputers few days ago and could not believe the difference.

You don’t need fibre line to have 3Mbps IPTV service working properly.
post #163 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-03-19, 11:31 AM
Veteran

You've clearly never seen Rogers TV in NB. If you're thinking it's the same as Rogers in Ontario, think again.

That's why they offer such a cheap bundle in NB.
post #164 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-03-19, 04:41 PM

Yeah, but we only get like half the channels that Ontario have, including HD channel that we only get in SD in NB...
post #165 of 171 (permalink) Old 2018-03-19, 07:22 PM

I actually saw a post on facebook a while ago offering a free trial to a service that pirates channels from Canada the US and the UK I only used it a couple of times but I defenitly thought that TMN and sportsnet looked better then they do on my shaw cable box's

Tags
hugh thompson , iptv , ott video , vmedia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in