VMedia, IPTV Provider Discussions - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 09:37 PM

How to Make a Complaint about your Internet Service | CRTC
Internet Traffic Management Practices
Quote:
These are legitimate business practices, provided the internet service provider is transparent about its use of ITMPs, and its customers are aware as to how their traffic will be managed.
VMedia discloses their policy in their Client Service Agreement | CSA Policy under:
18. Internet Traffic Management Policies (ITMP)

The policy claims they only implement Traffic Management when "When congestion is detected", however I've seen claims they have routinely imposed it every night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 11:35 AM
Veteran

Congestion management is allowed. Discriminatory throttling of services services such as Netflix is not. I would guess that vMedia had inadequate infrastructure or is purchasing insufficient bandwidth and is throttling internet traffic to maintain the viability of its TV service. In either case, it's reason enough to avoid their service.
post #138 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 08:45 PM

To be fair, in 4 years with VMedia I personally never once had a problem playing Netflix with multiple users in the family.

Their own TV service on their VBoxes however ... much better when switched to roku.

post #139 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 09:28 PM
Veteran

The difference in performance could be due to regional problems or issues with the provider or the incumbent. Depending on the ISP and the incumbent, I've seen rock solid performance and serious problems with internet service. In a reseller ISP situation, it can be difficult to get resolution or say who's to blame when things go bad. The main thing I know is that once a rock solid internet service is established, don't switch without good cause.
post #140 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 09:30 PM
Veteran

Vmedia throttles Netflix to 5 or 6 Mbps so playing Netflix in 4K is impossible according to Vmedia customers.
Even if a customer can watch Netflix it could be very low quality as it can change according to available speeds.
How fair is it to a customer who is paying for 250 Mbps and is not able to stream Netflix 4K video that requires probably only around 11Mbps.

Last edited by bev fan; 2017-07-13 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Irrelevant information removed.
post #141 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 09:31 PM

Agreed ExDilbert.

I'm not questioning the negative experiences reported elsewhere, just balancing them out on this forum with my own first hand experience.
post #142 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-13, 08:29 AM
Veteran

Really now a days with current technology, congestion should be a very small issue. If it still is, reseller or not, they are not taking advantage of these technologies.

@bef fan
If that is the actual case... THAT is something they shouldnt be doing.
Overall throttling the WHOLE connection? Ok.. its even across the board. But throttling one specific thing? Thats anti 'net-neutrality' so to speak.
Rogers got in BIG crap over doing it with torrent stuff quite a number of years ago.
The only other thing i could see there, would be... if Netflix is still using the OpenConnect? The direct link hardware appliance. If Vmedia is not partnering with them, may be making it difficult to provide period a good enough connection for 4k?

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #143 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-13, 10:00 AM

@gdkitty see the VMedia link I posted earlier:
Quote:
VMedia Internet Traffic Management assigns the highest priority to time-sensitive and priority Internet traffic such as TV and VOIP, a high priority to applications such as web browsing, email, instant messaging and streaming, and normal priority to other activities.
Netflix streaming is lumped in with web browsing and that category is probably allocated just enough bandwidth for HD quality during congested periods. Netflix recommends 25 Mbps for 4K streaming.

I believe third-party ISPs contract with each incumbent for a specified amount of total bandwidth and it's possible VMedia may not have enough capacity with some ISPs in some locations. That would explain why some end users have problems and others don't.
Obed likes this.
post #144 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-13, 10:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan
Vmedia throttles Netflix to 5 or 6 Mbps so playing Netflix in 4K is impossible according to Vmedia customers.
I'd like to see proof of that. So would the CRTC. It's more likely a general performance issue. I think your bias is showing again. With Bell internet I can't even get a solid 5Mbps for just one regular HD stream with any video service so even vMedia looks good in comparison.
post #145 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-16, 01:21 PM
Veteran

Mar 9, 2007
447 posts
51 upvotes
"Just got Vmedia and it seems the reviews saying there's heavy throttling for Netflix and newsgroups are true. I have the 150 Mbps internet and I'm getting advertised speeds on speed tests, but during peak hours Netflix refuses to go to HD resolutions and newsgroup downloads don't break 350 KB/s (~2% of my advertised speed). This is some heavy throttling rendering the service essentially useless for me during peak hours as that's when I watch Netflix"

This is a post from another forum. There are many others like that all over different forums.
I was very close to take advantage of Vmedia's offer 2 weeks ago when they had 150 Mbps unlimited promotion $49.99 fo the first 12 months. Good thing I passed on that one.
post #146 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-16, 10:29 PM
Veteran

Is the poor performance due to actual speed throttling (traffic shaping) or is it due to traffic congestion and insufficient bandwidth to Netflix servers. To the end user, it looks like the same thing but it's a different issue. Bandwidth issues with Netflix are a well known problem. It can be solved by using dedicated Netflix servers instead of relying on the internet backbone to access the main Netflix servers. VMedia would be well served to contract with Netflix for dedicated servers. It can reduce their bandwidth demands for backbone connections (which can be expensive) while providing faster overall service.
post #147 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-16, 10:58 PM
Veteran

The only time I had problem streaming was when I had Vmedia internet. My European IPTV service would freeze all the time in the evenings. Since then I have had different providers with no problem streaming Netflix. One time I had problem when I had Bell but at the time there was local problem and the speed was going down to 1 Mbps but was fixed in couple of hours.

Now I have the cheapest ISP that I could find and I can watch Netflix in 4K and Prime video in Ultra HD and no problems in the evenings. My IPTV from my old country works very good as well.
I have been following Vmedia reviews very closely and most customers have problems streaming Netflix and You tube in prime time.

Usually when there is congestion the speed goes down as well so it is very easy to tell. When the speed test shows 150 Mbps and customer can not watch Netflix or YouTube then most likely traffic management is being applied
post #148 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-07-17, 03:01 PM
Veteran

The 150Mbps speed is to a speed test server which is not congested and has no congested connections in the path. If the connection was going through a congested segment, then the speed would reflect the maximum speed per user on that segment. I'm not defending vMedia, I think that it's slow connections during prime time are indefensible. I'm just saying that there is no evidence they are engaging in intentional traffic shaping. I've seen similar issues with other BDUs. They fixed the problem by leasing more bandwidth. For whatever reason, vMedia has decided not to provide enough bandwidth for video services during prime time. Together, Netflix and YouTube account for about 50% of downstream traffic during prime time so they do require special consideration. Any BDU that ignores that segment of the marketplace does so at its own peril.
post #149 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-10-04, 06:56 PM
Rookie

Vmedia Review

As many of you may know, I’ve been an avid Zazeen supporter and many of you have seen the battles between myself and George on these very forums. A month or so ago, I noticed a very good promotional offer from Vmedia and decided that I would, out of my own pocket, sign up for this promo and do a review of Vmedia services.

It did not start out so well. My first attempt, I spent a few hours trying to process an order through their website. I could never make it past a certain point because of a glitch in their ordering process. I sent in a ticket, tried to sign up on their forums (which you cannot do unless you are a confirmed customer, and even then, your account will only be activated on your install date) and tried their online chat support. I even had difficulty getting to their online chat support as apparently the bug that was keeping me from continuing the ordering process was also telling me that chat support was closed. It wasn’t until I clicked back to the homepage that I could navigate my way back to the online chat support option and proceed.

Online chat support was less than helpful. I had to repeat myself several times and while they had the ability to process my order manually, they couldn’t quite understand that I wanted to process it online. We ended the chat with a promise of a callback the next day. I emailed Georg Burger with the problems I was facing in great detail as well.

I will say that this is where Vmedia shines. I not only received a callback and email the next day as a result of my online chat session and online ticket submission but I also received emails and a callback from Matt in regards to me reaching out to Mr. Burger.

It did take some time and cooperation but eventually we were able to connect and had a couple of teamviewer/skype sessions to narrow down and remediate the website glitches within the ordering process. Matt and the Vmedia team as a whole was very eager to investigate and fix these issues. I was very impressed with the level of urgency and importance that was placed.

After some discussion, it was decided that I would be given a one month free trial to review Vmedia’s products and services. I know that I typically have a reputation of being pro-Zazeen by some, however, in reality I am pro-Canadian Consumer. While it is true that I have a healthy distaste for Incumbent providers, I also will always provide a fair and balanced review. If a product offering is good, I will definitely champion it. If that happens to be an Independent offering, I will shout from the rooftops as many of you have seen me do with Zazeen. It is my hope to be able to do the same with Vmedia here.

The ordering process with Matt was painless. I have an install date and received multiple automated emails from Vmedia informing me of the date and time, equipment shipment, account info, etc. All of the normal things you would expect when you place an order. There is nothing really to report here. All standard practice.
EDIT1:
I received my equipment today. I was impressed at the branding on the boxes but I did have to wonder to myself that instead of spending that money on marketing, as an independent provider, perhaps those funds could have been more equitably dispersed in other areas of the company. We all know, and have heard Mr. Burger state several times that budgetary constraints are a main protagonist of IISP’s, so this left me quite conflicted. It does look very professional—even moreso than the Incumbents and leaves a very good first impression, I personally believe the marketing budget could take a hit and those funds would be better invested elsewhere.

Here are my unboxing pics:

https://www.photosnack.com/rednekcow...equipment.html

EDIT2:

The tech came on the install date and within the allotted time for the install. I won’t say much about the install as it’s typical of any IISP and completely out of Vmedia’s control whatsoever.

I was not intending on writing anything at all about the installation process, however there were issues—not on the Bell tech’s part but on Vmedia’s end with the autoconfiguration process they have with their modems.

I was getting line sync, good line stats but no internet access. I informed Matt of this and he informed me they needed to submit a Bell ticket to resolve. It was only after I forced the issue and kept asking questions and manually reconfigured the modem that the connection actually worked. This was 24 hours after the initial install. While Matt was very responsive, especially seeing it was a weekend, there really was no need for this delay.

I finally got to the point where I could setup the Vbox and actually review the service. Please keep in mind that I am viewing this on a 65” 4k tv so minor blemishes show front and center and are very prominent whereas on a smaller set, they may not be as noticeable. I do have to be honest and say that what I saw was disappointing. I do have to give kudos for broadcasting 5.1 audio, which is something Zazeen doesn't do, however picture quality is severely lacking compared to any other provider out there.
I spent some time watching different programs on different channels and Vmedia’s “HD” channels are at best SD. Pixelation, artifacts, drop outs, audio sync issues, etc etc are all very prevalent across the board. Forget about watching sports or anything with lots of action or movement on the screen as it just becomes one big blur. Both hockey and football on TSN and Sportsnet, in my opinion, are completely unwatchable.

I again emailed both George and Matt of my findings, thinking that perhaps there was an issue with my dsl connection. I get a reply from George that was actually meant for Matt saying he is going to “fire me immediately,” as in terminate the trial. I’ve pastied the whole chain here, including my attempts to reach out to resolve/understand that statement which go unanswered up to the point of Vmedia sending me notice that they are terminating the trial and demanding their equipment back.

Here is the pastie of the chain as well as a pastie of their termination notice after my repeated attempts at reaching out to them once George conducted his bluder:

https://pastebin.com/0Kh06h6R
https://pastebin.com/8sdYR9xE

The end result? I didn’t get to do as complete a review as I would have liked. I wanted to test apps, test out the reports of throttling, monitor bandwidth consumption used, test out the PVR. Unfortunately, George decided to allow his paranoia to kick in and, as a direct result of his own incompetent emailing skills, thwarted yet another attempt at someone trying to assist Vmedia in giving them some much needed positive publicity. What he has now down, again through no one’s fault but his own, has created another very public, very negative situation for Vmedia.

Final thoughts? Vmedia has a lot of work to do, even compared to their next closest rival Zazeen. They are miles behind any incumbent in terms of stability or quality. All of this can be easily overcome through time and investment and proper use of their funding.
Last but not least, George Burger. I’ve said this since the beginning and it’s illustrated in this interaction very well. George is not the person to be involved with this company in any sort of public facing role or management role whatsoever. He needs to stick to what he’s good at and allow someone who is competent enough and has the requisite background and experience to be the Director of Vmedia. That is not a dig at Mr. Burger, it is my opinion as someone who now has first hand with his product and his interactions with customers.
post #150 of 171 (permalink) Old 2017-10-04, 08:58 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the detailed review.

Tags
hugh thompson , iptv , ott video , vmedia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in