Bell Sat Vs. Videotron - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 57

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-02-29, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Bell Sat Vs. Videotron

I have Bell Satellite TV with basic channels. I was thinking to get Bell's a la carte package. In the other hand, I am not happy with the Bell and I'd like to move to Videotron with 10 or 15 custom package.

I am not TV person at all, so my question is that how do you compare available channels in Bell's "a la carte" and Videotron's "custom channels"? For example I don't see CNN in "a la carte".

Does any one has experience on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-03-01, 05:43 AM

If you are in Quebec, the custom packages are quite similar pricewise. All available channels can be selected, except for a few like DiscHD and Rds2 which will cost you extra.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-03-01, 08:17 AM

Also, unlike BXV where networks are part of the basic package (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CITYtv, PBS), these are NOT included in Videotron's basic package so you'll need to add them to your 15 a la carte choices.

Videotron English basic channels: weather, cbc, global, Metro Tv, CPAC, CTV

Personally, having Videotron, you're better off at Bell.

Cheers, K

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-03-01, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes, I am in Quebec.
Quote:
If you are in Quebec, the custom packages are quite similar pricewise. All available channels can be selected, except for a few like DiscHD and Rds2 which will cost you extra
What is BXV?
Do I have more choices in Videotron compared to Bell to choose for package?
Quote:
Also, unlike BXV where networks are part of the basic package (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CITYtv, PBS), these are NOT included in Videotron's basic package so you'll need to add them to your 15 a la carte choices.

Videotron English basic channels: weather, cbc, global, Metro Tv, CPAC, CTV

Personally, having Videotron, you're better off at Bell.

Cheers, K
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-03-01, 10:55 AM

You have more choices with the A La Carte with Videotron. However as already mentioned Videotron does not include the US stations in the basic so you would either have to pick the anglo package (which gives you most of the stations you probably want) or pick them with the 10-15 package.

Videotron ia a Quebec only service and therefore they "concentration" on what stations to package and have are different that Bell as Bell must compete in all markets across the country.

Good luck with your choice - we all struggle with this as you can see from the different forums on Bell and Videotron.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-12-26, 10:14 PM
Rookie

Any recent comparisons in picture quality between Bell and Videotron?

Years ago, I recall reading that Bell's Satellite service compressed their video more than Videotron's did, but this would have been around 2009 or so. Have there been more recent comparisons of picture quality between the two providers?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-12-26, 11:31 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Picture quality depends on many factors with bitrate being only one of them. Other factors include items like compression technology used, the quality of the STBs in question, the calibration, or lack thereof of the TV's input for the service provider, etc. In most cases, the feedback on forums is anecdotal and just that - a person's opinion.

The one thing that does differentiate Bell (Sat, Fibe, etc) is that they convert all the incoming signal to 720P to save bandwidth. I believe that this adversely affects the picture quality by "softening" it somewhat. Many people, however, are satisfied with the features and picture quality of Bell.

In most instances, it is much more important to consider the other factors like - does the provider have the channels you want, does the equipment operate the way you want, is the pricing competitive, are there bundles that can save money overall since most people are not only interested in "TV", etc. Useful links below:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-5...v-formats.html

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-h...ing-forum.html
MontrealMitch likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in