New Channel - ABC Spark - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-26, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

New Channel - ABC Spark

Found this today on cartt.ca and broadcastermagazine.com and was surprised to not see it on here yet. Seems like it is a Canadian version of ABC Family and it's about time, but why not just call it that? Obviously Shaw will be carrying this one, other providers, we'll see.

Corus Entertainment and Disney/ABC Television Group today announced that they have entered into an expansive licensing agreement to launch ABC Spark, a dedicated millennial-focused channel and multi-platform offering, in Canada in Spring 2012. The channel will build on the foundation that DATG has created with ABC Family, its incredibly successful millennial brand in the U.S. This deal marks the first time in history that these two companies have entered into this type of licensing agreement for a 24-hour channel.

ABC Spark will be a destination for Canada's young adult millennial viewer, telling stories that matter most to this audience while utilizing the technology millennials rely on to connect to their world in a corresponding multi-platform offering. The agreement was brokered by Disney-ABC Domestic Television with Corus Entertainment.

"We are thrilled to partner with Disney/ABC Television Group and to announce the launch of ABC Spark in Canada, a network with values and attributes that align with our own," said Doug Murphy, President, Corus Television. "Bridging the gap between our kids and women's networks, ABC Spark will be a national service with compelling programming directed at the fast-expanding millennial generation."

"We are very pleased to work with Corus in bringing ABC Family's well-known, popular programming into the Canadian marketplace," commented Janice Marinelli, president, Disney-ABC Domestic Television.

ABC Family is a top performing destination for millennials in the U.S., delivering seven consecutive years of stellar growth. ABC Family has also become an emerging global brand though the successful sale of many of its key programs to more than 200 territories around the world. Its newest series, "Switched at Birth" launched as the network's No. 1 series debut of all time in key demos this past summer, and ranked as the top rated new series across all basic cable in those demos as well. Other groundbreaking original programming included in the deal are "The Secret Life of the American Teenager," "Make It or Break It," "Melissa & Joey" and upcoming series "Jane By Design."

Comprising more than 1.7 billion consumers worldwide, millennials are an optimistic and goal-oriented generation. They represent the largest demographic bubble in both U.S. and Canadian history. Millennials constitute over 85 million 15 to 34 year-olds in the U.S. In Canada, there are nearly 10 million millennials, constituting more than 30% of the current population.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 11:56 AM

I've also heard rumors that Family is rebranding to Disney in the new year.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexx View Post
Seems like it is a Canadian version of ABC Family and it's about time, but why not just call it that?
The reason is kinda obvious isn't it? There's no way Family (channel) would allow another channel in Canada with only 3 letters distinction in it's name. ABC knows that.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 04:49 PM

Corus has done a horrible job with Nickelodeon. I'm suprized Astral didn't make the deal with their long history with Disney/ABC
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 05:06 PM

I wasn't concern about the triangle between ABC, Astral and Corus, I am thinking of where will the lisence from? Will they just switch one of its existed channel(probable Nickelodeon IMO) to ABC Spark or will they switch a unaired channel's name to ABC Spark?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-29, 08:53 AM

all i can say is it better be in hd
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-29, 10:02 AM
Veteran

Question

I'm not sure of the exact connection Corus & Astral have with the Disney/ABC cooperation,

But?

Correct me if I'm wrong here?

But?

Does Corus & Astral have several channels either launched or have licenses for channels yet to launch related to this channel or several other channels in the US?

Perhaps it might be one of those that will be this ABC Spark Canada?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in