Comparing Telus Optik to Shaw Cable - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-11-24, 01:19 PM
Rookie

Possible switch from Optik to Gateway.

Hi guys, I hope that I am posting this in the right place... I am hoping to get some opinions. Here is a little background. Like many others I was a loyal and happy Shaw customer for years. Once the Optik system was introduced it was a no brianer, especially with nothing on the horizon from Shaw (at the time). I have been an Optik TV, internet and phone subscriber since January 2011. The TV service by comparison (before Gateway) is simply amazing IMO. I unfortunately have had an issue with PVR Anywhere not working and I now have the opportunity of getting out of my 3 year contract (I took the free PVR).

So, I like Shaw's phone service and Telus cannot complete with Shaw's internet speeds (which is a factor for me). But, my question is how does the Gateway service truly stack-up against Optik? I am aware of the actual specifications, but all of the issues reported on the forum have me spooked. The look and feel of the Optik onscreen menus is really polished, easy to use and everything is very quick (channel changes, etc.).

Also, price is also a factor. My Telus bill is north of $200 per month. If I could get one of these promos, it would significantly reduce the monthly cost for the foreseeable future.

Final question, Is call display via the TV enabled on Shaw Gateway? This is one of the features I really like about Telus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
Sorry for not answering sooner. I thought for sure someone else would have some suggestions for you. As far as Caller ID goes, this is not yet available on the Gateway. I believe it is fully capable but there may be an issue of needing to have the Gateway acting as your Phone Modem and for now that is not active. The unit is capable but for some reason Shaw hasn't activated that yet and I don't know if they ever will.

With everything else, you just have to keep reading the Gateway threads. One big thing I discovered just the other day was the ability to record and playback 6 HD all at the same time. That may not be of use to you but it is definitely a lot more than the Telus system can do.

The next code release for Gateway could be a really big on and should happen in the next couple of months, at the most. If you need more info then I would suggest waiting until then and see if the new functionalities it is supposed to bring are to your liking.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 12:10 AM

Optik vs Shaw HD Quality

I'm thinking about switching to Optik TV from Shaw. Are there any Mbps comparisons for what these 2 providers broadcast at?

Telus gives free hd pvr rental but requires a 3 yr term, so I wanted to know beforehand what the picture quality of HD chans is before I signed up for it. This is for Vancouver if it matters.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 2013-08-02, 11:42 AM

added more info

frootloop, most of Shaw's channels use MPEG-2 compression. Telus uses MPEG-4, which is more modern and uses about half the bandwidth, so bit-rates aren't directly comparable. According to the following thread and other reports, most people think that the Telus PQ is comparable with Shaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
This thread is old and out of date, since the recent updates to Media Room the HD on Telus is easily as good as Shaw.
Some people have installed the TV service as a month-to-month rental for the first month and changed to the 3 year contract once they decided they're happy with the PQ.

If you take advantage of the free TV, laptop or tablet offer with TV + internet contract, you will probably be locked in.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 2013-08-10, 04:05 PM

Optik tv for sports

Anyone watch hockey games on optik tv? Does the 5mbit or whatever they have dedicated for a HD chan provide good picture quality for hockey games. I'm concerned about pixelation issues and just general video quality.

The channels I'm interested in are Sportsnet Pacific and TSN. If someone has tried both Shaw and Telus in Vancouver and have an opinion on the HD quality of hockey games for these 2 providers that would be great.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 2013-10-03, 11:59 AM

Hi everyone. Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I'm currently with Shaw and I can still get basic channel without going through the digital boxes on some of my "rarely" watch tv. Mostly for local news. I was wondering that if I switch to Telus Optik TV, can I still do that or all TV must have a box?

Thanks.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 2013-10-03, 12:00 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
You need a box for each TV (or a connection from a box that's elsewhere, to the TV and a method of controlling that box). i.e. the TV must be connected to a box since there are no analogue signals on Optic.

Be aware that Shaw will be all digital at some point:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=138005

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-01-11, 07:01 PM
Rookie

Help! Optik or Gateway? So confused

First off, I am sorry if this info is somewhere but I've been searching for days and haven't been able to come to a conclusion. I also apologize if this post is in the wrong place; I couldn't figure out anywhere that it seemed to fit.

OK, now to the heart of the matter: Is there an easy to follow comparison or guide anywhere to help decide between going with Optik from Telus, or Gateway from Shaw?

My situation may be a little more complicated than others; We've built an inlaw suite for my parents in the house so there are a bunch of people and TV's. We have 7 people and 5 TV's. At any one time, it would be likely that at least 2 people would be watching separate TV's. Other occasions, all 5 TV's may be in use.

On top of that, the PVR has changed the way we watch TV. We PVR almost everything, and then watch it later. So at anytime of the day there could be 1 or more shows being recorded.

I'm completely stumped at the moment. Can anyone help me figure out what service is going to be best for us?
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-01-12, 11:59 AM

Welcome BigTone. I've moved your post to this thread which discusses the comparison between Optik and Shaw Gateway. There is an attachment on page 1 of the thread that compares them, although it may be a bit out of date.

Here is a thread that may help you ensure you will get the channels you want:

Missing English HD channels by providers

I've read in other threads that people have had difficulty getting a suite included on the same account as the main residence, so that may affect your decision.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-01-12, 05:16 PM
Rookie

Thanks Dr.Dave. I'd actually seen this thread, but discounted it due to it's age.

The spreadsheet on the first page is very helpful, but I'm weary of how current the info is.

You'd think this couldn't be so hard to compare, but I guess they (Telus, Shaw, et al) do it that way on purpose.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-01-13, 12:01 AM

Welcome to the forums BigTone.

First of all regarding the suite as a guide, unless your relatives are paying you rent you will be fine to have everything in the home under one account with Shaw.

That spreadsheet is a good guide.

Couple of things to consider that you would want to look into especially considering you have a large number of TV's and persons in your residence. The top 3 I would consider in your situation would be:

1. You can only record 4 (up to 3 in HD and that depends on where you live and if you qualify too with Telus) different channels that are showing Live TV with Optik TV you can though record or watch more of the same station. With the Shaw Gateway you can have 6 different live TV stations all watching in HD. The Shaw Gateway can do twice as many recording HD actions. So you won't run in to any family arguments or the potential for.
2. You can expand the Shaw Gateway Hard Drive for more recording space up to 6TB.
3. If you watch Video On Demand, then with the Shaw Gateway you will have access to more than 3 times the VOD content Optik TV has.

Shaw Employee, Opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-01-18, 06:13 PM
Rookie

Thank you Shaw Champ,

From what you have said, and the other research I have been able to do, it really looks like Shaw is the choice for us. I have some questions specifically about the Shaw cable service in general. Show I ask the here, or is the a better place to do it?

Last edited by 57; 2014-01-18 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 2014-01-18, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
For general 'Shaw' questions, I'd check the main forums, starting with this one: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

You can always start a new thread if you can't find quite what you are looking for and if it relates to a topic that has already been covered, the mods will just move it for you, as you have seen.

Cheers and welcome to DHC.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.

Tags
gateway , optik , shaw cable , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in