New Channel "TSN Jets" Announced - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-12, 09:07 PM

Don't understand your post, just because MTS hasn't announced anything doesn't mean it won't happen. On a related note Shaw posted a response in their Facebook Discussion pages to look for an announcement on Facebook in the coming days so hopefully it comes to Shaw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor View Post
Don't understand your post, just because MTS hasn't announced anything doesn't mean it won't happen. On a related note Shaw posted a response in their Facebook Discussion pages to look for an announcement on Facebook in the coming days so hopefully it comes to Shaw.
The pre-season starts next week... so I'm assuming MTS (or Shaw) won't have access to the channel that quickly if they haven't announced anything yet.

The whole deal stinks - MTS supported True North when they needed it, and they get shafted by the TV deal in the long run, even after all of that. Bah.
post #18 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 02:09 PM
Veteran

Was MTS bidding for rights? I thought it was just Bell via TSN and Rogers via Sportsnet. No matter what happened MTS had to negotiate for carriage, although had it been Sportsnet I am sure a deal would had been announced fast. But I am sure the Jets got assurances from Bell Media that TSN-Jets would get a deal worked out with MTS...

post #19 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 05:48 PM

Shaw has announced they are picking up TSN Jets.

Press Release issued today

Quote:
CALGARY, ALBERTA--(Marketwire - Sept. 16, 2011) - Shaw brings Winnipeg Jets fans closer to the action with the launch of TSN Jets on Shaw and Shaw Direct (TSX:SJR.B) (NYSE:SJR) just in time for the 2011-2012 season.

Available September 20 for the inaugural pre-season Jets game in Winnipeg, TSN Jets will broadcast more than 60 pre-season and regular season games to fans in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nunavut, the Northwest Territories and parts of Northwestern Ontario. Viewers can also catch pre- and post-game content to complement the games.

"The Winnipeg Jets return to Canada has been highly anticipated by Canadian hockey fans and Shaw is proud to be a part of the excitement," said Peter Bissonnette, President, Shaw Communications Inc. "As a hockey fan myself, I am pleased that at Shaw we are continuously expanding our hockey and sports offerings to our customers across the country."

TSN Jets will be available to customers on free preview until December 1 in both Standard and High Definition. The subscription will then be available for the remainder of the season for $9.95 per month; less than $1.00 per game.
post #20 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 05:55 PM
Veteran

Hope this includes Thunder Bay.
post #21 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 07:19 PM

I don't get this though. So Bell customers get TSN Jets for free as part of their basic package, and now Shaw's charging $9.95 per month, and presumably MTS will end up charging about the same.

Compare that to out here in BC, where between CBC and TSN national games, and Sportsnet Pacific and One regional broadcasts, all Canucks games are available on channels that are included in all of the main BDU's basic sports packages.

Or would it be better to compare with regional TSN broadcasts of the Canadiens? What is the charge on Bell/Rogers/etc to get those games?

Seems to me like Jets fans are not being treated very well here.
post #22 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Now that Shaw has the channel, it's MTS's turn.
post #23 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 09:44 PM
Veteran

Is everyone sure that Bell TV will offering TSN Jets as part of the basic package? The original press release just mentions that Bell will carry it. It doesn't really say anything about cost.
post #24 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 01:32 AM
tux

Yes.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...129439268.html :

Quote:
Hockey fans with Bell satellite TV service, however, already have their remote controls at the ready.

"If you're a subscriber (with Bell), you would automatically get TSN Jets. It's part of your basic package," said Greg McIsaac, director of communications with TSN.
post #25 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 02:22 AM
Veteran

For Shaw, they can make it part of their basic package as well. If they wanted to, they just could bump everyone's cable bill by $1 per month (or 10/12= 0.83 per month) and no one would be the wiser... I actually respect them more for going this route versus Rogers where they eventually included TSN2 and RSN1 to the digital tiers and then bumped the price for everyone shortly thereafter...
post #26 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 12:22 PM

There is something inherently anti-competitive about how this system works...

In any case - I'm still seriously disappointed in the Chipman family and how they treat companies that stood by them in the early Moose days...
post #27 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 02:52 PM

Well Shaw is going to have some increases in November, perhaps this can cover the costs of TSN Jets. At least there is a free preview until December so it would only cost $9.95 for a few months.
post #28 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 05:10 PM

Will it cost $9.95 for 8 months, or just 7 months, next year? This sucks. I spent 2 months now without cable and I'm thinking of crawling back to watch the Jets. I have to decide on 22 games for free or 82+ games for some deal Shaw has right now. That would cost a minimum of 400 dollars for basic +HD + Jets until April.
post #29 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 05:44 PM
Veteran

To be fair, the only two bidders were Rogers (via Sportsnet) and Bell (via TSN). There was a discussion about potential other bidders at http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=141118 but clearly none of them came to fruition.

As for pricing for season 2, I'd say it is yet to be determined.
post #30 of 88 (permalink) Old 2011-09-18, 05:18 PM

TSN Jets on MTS TV

MTS will also be charging $9.95 per month. Here's the official press release.

Tags
nhl , tsn , winnipeg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in