FX Canada launches Oct. 31 2011 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

FX Canada launches Oct. 31 2011

FX Canada will launch on November 1 as a digital service, and will deliver acclaimed programming to Canadian audiences including FX original series, U.S. acquired movies and series, original Canadian programming, and Canadian sports events.

Quote:
Original FX series that will air on FX Canada will include the highly-anticipated new drama series American Horror Story, from producers Nip/Tuck and Glee, Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, and starring Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, Jessica Lange, Taissa Farmiga and Denis O'Hare; the hit comedy series Wilfred, starring Elijah Wood and Jason Gann; current season episodes of the hit comedy The League; and of the Emmy® Award nominated comedy Louie, starring Louis C.K. Library series include the first two seasons of the Golden Globe® winning drama Sons of Anarchy, Lights Out, and Terriers. Additional details, including a programming grid that will be unique to Canada, will be announced closer to launch.
Under the terms of the agreement, any new original FX programs produced by FX Productions or Twentieth Century Fox Television will air on FX Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

The following FX programs aren't on the FX Canada schedule:

Archer
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Justified
Rescue Me

I think the rights are licensed to other Canadian channels, so presumably they will continue on those channels.
post #3 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 01:47 PM

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
Will this channel be offered in HD?

post #4 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 02:07 PM
Veteran

Question

If its like the US one their should be.

As for others I can see Shaw(cable & sat)Videotron,EastLink,Cogeco and perhaps BTV signing on. FX is a great channel great programing and good movies.

Its says "Free Preview" what happens after that? Will iit become part of the VIP? some other packager? Or wil you need to pay for it seperately?

Grant you it doesn't effect me, just wondering about others.
post #5 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 02:18 PM

Current FX shows available in Canada via other broadcasters:

Archer - Airs on Teletoon At Night
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - Airs on Showcase
Justified- Airs on Super Channel
Rescue Me- Airs on Showcase
Sons of Anarchy- Airs on Super Channel
The League- Airs on Super Channel
post #6 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 07:44 PM

No mention of HD in that article but one would assume they will be launching in HD also, right?

With all the licences Rogers and Corus have received in recent months and with Bell set to receive more licences what other American networks can we possibly expect to get up here soon? Any guesses anyone?
post #7 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 07:55 PM

This article states they are negotiating with Shaw which is great news.

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald...tml?id=5217091
post #8 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-07, 10:55 AM

I guess the other programming already licensed to other broadcasters will eventually move over to F/X Canada when their contracts expire. I'd also like to see Fox Movie Channel here as well. I can't see the CRTC denying that one since they've approved TCM, and AMC.
post #9 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-07, 11:58 AM

Humbar - that is exactly what the article states, so Showcase is going to have to start looking for some new programming soon.

I doubt we'll see Fox Movie Channel here anytime soon unless it's a Canadian version. Nobody has applied for it to be brought over and none of the broadcasters would want it since it would compete with their own services. FX is not the American channel but is a Canadian version in case you didn't know.
post #10 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-07, 01:38 PM

I didn't read the article until you mentioned it.
post #11 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-07, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

@jericho, "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" has already been dropped from Showcase, so the only FX program left on Showcase is the final season of "Rescue Me".
post #12 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-07, 08:00 PM

Quote:
"It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" has already been dropped from Showcase
It's still listed on their website, are you sure its been dropped?! According to Wiki the new season starts in September but FX Canada doesn't launch until November so I guess it won't be available anywhere until then?!

http://www.showcase.ca/ontv/titledet...Title_Id=88321
post #13 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-07, 09:26 PM

Talking Let the sun shine in and Face it with a grin

The only mystery is how Murdoch Mysteries stays on the air and now it will soon be shown on yet another channel to be ignored on. The fact that it airs in other countries and is apparently enjoyed by many intelligent people, still leaves me at a loss for words. Although I've never watched more than 4 consecutive minutes of the show, it's only because I started to realize that watching Yoga on PBS is more interesting.

Perhaps the F/X TV series could also be picked up as additional Canadian content and eventually fill the entire 20% of the Cancon requirement.

Always Sunny... Season 5 is currently airing on Showcase (Aug 15th is next airdate), and Seasons 1, 2 and 3 are airing on Bite TV. Not sure who has the rights to season 4.

Season 6 of Always Sunny... has already aired in the US, but if FX Canada lets Showcase broadcast the 12 episodes of Season 6 (1 new episode a week) after the remaining 4 episodes of Season 5 are aired, that will take them to December 8th or thereabouts. FX Canada can then take over for Season 7 of Always Sunny in Philadelphia while it's snowing here in December, or perhaps wait until later in 2012 when it's Hot in Cleveland (Betty White is smokin' hot for a Golden Girl).

Shaw should start a Canadian version of the USA Network. It would of course be called USA Canada, and could eventually begin to air older shows from the UK that both BBC Canada and BBC America didn't want anything to do with. The new channel could later apply to the CRTC for a format change to focus on UK programming and become BBC Canada 2.
post #14 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-07, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Shaw Media doesn't have "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" on Showcase's fall schedule. Season 5 is on IFC starting Sept. 12.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=141196

So it looks like FX Canada has exclusive rights to Season 6.
post #15 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-08-08, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

FX (US) Renewals

"Wilfred" has been picked up for a second season of 13 episodes.
"Louie" has been picked up for it's third season of 13 episodes.
"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" has been picked up for two additional seasons, with an option for what would become the show's 10th season.

Presumably, these will make their way to FX Canada.

Tags
fx canada , rogers media

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in