NTV HD - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-09-08, 11:00 PM

When i have the odd week day off i always tune into NTV to watch "days of our lives".. On NTV its one episode ahead of all the other networks and It gives on at noon local time here in Toronto instead of 1pm like NBC/Global. So id definitely be happy if bell adds this one to fibe tv here in Ontario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 03:07 PM

Location: Carp, ON. HD8800 and Ch6 Dipole to CM7777 in attic.
NTV applies for radio subchannel

Turns out NTV started transmitting CHOZ-FM as a subchannel when they first turned on their digital broadcast. They've sinced figured out how to turn it off, but are asking permisssion to leave it on.

It will be interesting to see the ruling on this. It could set a precedent for digital sub channels.

Application here.

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/DocW...ppNo=201112333
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-17, 07:14 PM

NTV HD now on Bell satellite

'Seems like the quietest addition to Bell satellite's lineup: channel 1008 appeared, today.
I thought Bell had practically given up on ever adding anymore HD channels... I mean, where's The Weather Network HD, or TVO HD?
dm_4u likes this.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-18, 08:53 AM
Veteran

NTV HD 1008 is now available on Bell Sat. in PEI. About a five second delay compared to Global Halifax, Toronto etc. Not sure why?

TWN HD is useless on satellite. There is no way to provide a local forecast on the tens in HD so it is just a general national overview. Actually it seems Bell has dropped the local forecasts on the SD channel (505) as well. CSR I spoke to didn't even know what I was talking about. Said that he had never heard of the unique local forecasts. I hung up at that point.

TVO is only available in Ontario. Bell won't pay the price that TVO/Ont. government wants for national coverage. We had it in the years BD (Before Dalton). I'm surprised to hear that TVO HD isn't included.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-18, 02:48 PM
Veteran

If TVO is broadcast in HD I believe BDUs are required to carry it in HD. That's true of other OTA channels. However, I don't believe they are required to offer it outside the region it serves. I find it odd the Bell won't offer TVO outside of Ontario, even as an optional pick and pay or theme pack channel. As for Bell not wanting to pay for TVO, all I can say is what a bunch of cheap turds. They want top dollar for their channels and force them on customers who often don't want them, so why shouldn't TVO be available to people who want it? It makes more sense than offering NTV to the rest of the country.

As for NTV, I found it useful before PVRs due to the time difference. Haven't watched it since.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-18, 03:17 PM
Veteran

At the time the decision was made by Bell to drop TVO nationally, the McGuinty government was raising fees on everything and Bell called the fees ridiculous given the specialized nature of TVO programming and the small audiences TVO commanded outside of Ontario. My understanding is that Bell was carrying TVO, BC's and Sask.'s educational channels as public services for which they were paying practically nothing. Today outside Ontario only the Knowledge Network in SD is offered on Bell TV.

As for NTV and the time difference there wasn't one this morning when I discovered the issue. NTV and Global Montreal etc. were all showing the same show at the same time or I wouldn't have spotted the time lag.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-18, 06:45 PM

NTV is still SD with Rogers in New-Brunswick.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-18, 10:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
As for NTV and the time difference ...
Maybe I stated that incorrectly. NTV aired some prime time shows early at 7PM (EST) instead of 10pm. I believe NTV is in a different time zone (NST?) but most programming is aired at the same time as EST stations which makes them later in local time. I'd guess they showed the 10PM shows early because they clashed with the local 11pm news or were just too late for most people. I haven't watched NTV for quite a few years so I don't know if they still do that.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-19, 09:22 AM

Rogers dropped NTV in Ontario ages ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in