Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Official "New Max" discussion (Microsoft Mediaroom)
View Single Post
post #82 of (permalink) Old 2010-11-26, 09:49 PM
Anaerin
Rookie

I'm an existing Max customer, and I received my upgrade pack today. But this is something I'm not looking forward to at all.

At the moment, I'm using MythTV to tune into the IPTV streams, as the streams I am entitled to watch are being broadcast in the clear (After you do some basic authentication). This way, I can tell you that SDTV on "Old" Max is broadcast as a VBR MPEG2 stream at between 2400 and 2600 KBPS, 352x480 resolution (Hence the poor quality), and the audio is Stereo MP2 48KHz at 192Kbps.

I'm thinking, at least, hoping, that the "New Max" upgrade is just a switch from MPEG2 streams to H.264/AAC, but my fear is that the "New Max" will enable encryption on the streams, and break this entire system. Ideally, to allay my fears, I'd love for someone to capture some of the streamed video using Wireshark (Or something similar) and/or watch the stream using VLC (Something that is currently possible, if you know the multicast address to watch for). If this isn't possible, then I'm going to have to do some major re-orchestrating of my system.

If you want to know how my system works at the moment, it's all documented on the MythTV Wiki (Here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sasktel_IPTV ), including how to find and tune into the streams currently available.

This is not piracy - There is no way to tune into a channel you do not pay for, and you have to have the ID from a valid and registered box to authenticate to the upstream provider.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome