Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Motorola DCX3400 Coming/ Has arrived to Eastlink

123K views 217 replies 59 participants last post by  denben73 
#1 ·
Eastlink will be getting this new reciever in a few weeks, I stopped by my local Eastlink store and he showed me the internal info guide. It appears to be the DCX3425 (250gb) model and I was also told the eSATA port IS enabled for extended capacity.

Its a really sharp looking unit, I cannot wait for it, I am ready to pack up my 6416 Phase III right now!

I wonder what the guide will look like or if any i-guide feature enhancements.

#113 ·
Thank you so much!!

That being said we've had the DCX3400 for 4 days and have not been impressed at all. It keeps freezing..2 of our shows we recorded were both froze half way through..we all keep getting the "Cablecard Pairing Error"...hopefully Eastlink will work the bugs out sooner rather than later!

#117 ·
Have you tried connecting an external drive lately? I have a DCX3400 from Eastlink and it is working with an external drive. You may have to call and get them to refresh your box. That's all I had to do and it has been working great ever since.

#118 ·
if you read some of my other posts, you will notice out west we have a connectivity problem with having different companies blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda! haven't bothered yet... but we will do. it's currently in another room, we are emptying our Pace content before we switch rooms.

#122 ·
RENT???!!! are you nuts?

my cable company hasn't come out with a new model in 3+ years.

12mos x $15/mo x 3yrs = $540. i bought my PVR for $550 incl. taxes, + $70 for 3 yr extended warranty.

unless your cable company comes out with a new model every 2 years, or you pay half of what i do, purchasing your DVR is the way to go. just bone up for extended warranty.

#123 · (Edited by Moderator)
No doubt an argument can be made for both sides on this. Before jumping to Eastlink I forked over 600 bucks for a Shaw Direct DSR 535 PVR, and it, at the time, only recorded one channel at a time.

If my PVR breaks tonight, I go to the kiosk in the New Sudbury Centre and I have a new one tomorrow. With the extended warranty, your PVR will likely be out of commission for a few weeks with no replacement. I know my Shaw Direct PVR died twice and waited a week for a replacement (both times). For me, it's a matter of convenience. I have been on both sides of this one.

#126 ·
So BestBuy has the 500GB Shaw version of the DCX3400 for $348. I call Eastlink CSR and ask - can I use it on Eastlink. She tells me she can't confirm if it will work until I can provide a serial number. Not a bad strategy from their point of view given that's a near impossible task.

Is that true - or will a Shaw DCX3400 work out of the box?

#127 ·
All Digital Boxes must be authorized. As discussed many times on the forum, cable companies don't know a where you got your digital box. Again as discussed many times, cable companies don't make money off of cable boxes, they make money off of cable subscriptions therefore Shaw is not going to sell PVR boxes at a loss to Eastlink customers.

You can search the forum for more threads discussing this issue but its not unique to this device.

Going forward, please restrict discussion on this thread to the set top box and its features.

If you'd like to discuss where to get the best deal on these devices, please use the deals forum.

#128 ·
Power off on DCX3400

I know this is going to sound like a really stupid question, but, does the box power itself on to record a preset show, or does the power have to be left on?

If it needs to be left on, I have found throught this forum hot to get to the menu by pressing "ok" butting after power off, and I founf item on Auto power off, but how do you make a change to this setting?

Cheers MIke H

#129 ·
My Motorola 6416 will turn on automatically, where his box is a Motorola as well, I would assume that it would. Even when the boxes turn off (same with 6412), they aren't truly off, you can still hear them clicking and working. I can't imagine a 2010 DVR that wouldn't auto turn on though.

#131 ·
Power off automatically

Hi

I hope my question is not off topic.
I have had this unit for a month or so. I control it using a Harmony ONE remote. After reading on a fourm i programmed the remote to stay powered on all the time.
My question is- does this unit have an auto shut off feature? I have checked the settings and have not found anything to disable such a feature if its exists.
I ask as the unit does not stay on and I dont think its a Harmony issue. Can anyone comment?

#135 ·
You can turn off the auto power off which is active so that the box can have a Energy Star rating.
The option can be found by turning the box off and then pressing the menu button to access the user settings screen.

#133 ·
dvr expander?

hi everyone,

Received my 3400 yesterday from sudbury. Can somebody confirm if we can still connect an esata drive.
According from the tech it's disabled. When I check the diagnotics page, d11, it looks like that feature is not enabled.
I want to make sure before buying a wd esata dvr expander.
I would love to add 1tb.
thanks in advance.

Rob

#136 ·
hi everyone,

Can somebody confirm if we can still connect an esata drive.
According from the tech it's disabled.

Rob
I think it depends on your cable company. So the tech guy says it is disabled, I'd assume it is disabled but I'd double check just in case the tech guy is not knowledgable.

I remember that when DCX3400 came out, my cable company disabled the feature. Now, it is enabled and advertises that you can use Expander to add more storage.

#137 ·
noisy DCX3400?

Does anyone else notice their DCX3400 making a constant, subtle-but-audible "clackety-clack" noise when powered on? It sounds like the hard drive heads or something like that. It's low, but definitely audible in an otherwise quiet room. My box works fine in every respect; it's just a tad noisy?

#139 ·
That's why my home-built networked DVR has a diskless computer in the living room. All of the loud hard disks are in my office where they don't annoy anybody. The CPU fan in the living room computer only turns on when the computer is working hard. It's a nearly silent box, and only gets turned on when I watch something, so its completely silent most of the time.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.