Star Choice 2009 New Channels Discussion - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-09, 10:01 PM

Lightbulb

These channels are of no use to me...no loss.

...While they are at it, why not drop a few other big dogs....BookTV, VIVA, Star, Game Show, Fashion TV, One, Biography, Documentary, MenTV, Fight Network...etc

DirecTV 1994-98...StarChoice/ShawDirect 1998-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-10, 10:30 AM
Veteran

Which channels do you like so that we can make sure Shaw Direct doesn't leave you out?
post #78 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-10, 10:52 AM
QCK

You have to be careful removing channels, everyone has different tastes. I love the Fight Network.
They really should get rid of Spokane locals like they did Buffalo, there is not much differnece with already having Seattle locals.

A nice addition for me would be "The ScoreHD".

post #79 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-10, 10:56 AM

the scorehd is supposedly coming, can't remember the date i heard but around sept/oct?

really would like to see them add the disney channel to compete with bell (since bell offers it)

and of course some kind of ncaa football/basketball package like bell to get us the espn/espn2 games.
post #80 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-10, 11:43 AM
Veteran

I assume smart stuff is just going to disappear. Discovery Civilization will have to move to another theme.

Wednesday is a big day at Shaw Direct...channel removals, launch of AMC HD, the launch of iTV weather; the signal that these long awaited updates are just around the corner.
post #81 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-11, 07:01 AM

And while at it why don't they remove the "What not to wear" channel? Both SD and HD.
post #82 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-11, 11:47 AM

^ Do you mean TLC? Jon and Kate Plus 8 usually get over 6 million viewers a week and sometimes as high as 10 million. It actually beat the season finale of Lost by a large margin and consistently rates comparable to CSI Miami and other main network series alike. It better not go anywhere or my wife will flip lol.
post #83 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-11, 12:01 PM

Lightbulb

<mod, move if not appropriate here>

I've often thought that perhaps that they should move everyone over to the 5xx series receivers (despite their problems) for a minimal fee.
I noticed on my receivers that I can output the HD channels over coax to a regular TV.
If done, then they can add the HD version of a channel and drop the SD version since the viewer can still access it in HD.
Make sense?
Thoughts?
post #84 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-11, 06:01 PM

Thumbs down

my opinion Canal D it's a waste is not all the time HD
post #85 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-12, 05:34 PM
Rookie

First Sun TV and now TV Land ... what do they have against nostalgia TV? I will miss it.
post #86 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-12, 09:37 PM
Veteran

Same thing they have against music. Shaw Direct is all about sports.
post #87 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-12, 10:20 PM

this is the reply I got from ask Jim about discovery kids.

Hi

This channel will be dropped but will be coming back as Nickelodeon before the end of the summer. Some channels are going through some tuff times but we will certainly be adding more in their space. More kids programming and HD plus we will add Interactive free to our customers starting July 14 roll out

Regards

Jim
post #88 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-13, 12:54 AM

Re: ITV Weather

Hi The ITV weather is it the ITV from England that will be on shaw direct and what day will it be coming on.
post #89 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-13, 12:58 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBlue View Post
this is the reply I got from ask Jim about discovery kids.

Hi

This channel will be dropped but will be coming back as Nickelodeon before the end of the summer. Some channels are going through some tuff times but we will certainly be adding more in their space. More kids programming and HD plus we will add Interactive free to our customers starting July 14 roll out

Regards

Jim
Just brings up more questions. What about the other channels? Are these channels going off the air or just being discontinued by SD and if the latter, why don't they wait for the other one before dropping the current one?

What is Nickelodeon, the U.S version or a Nickelodeon Canada? Is it just a rebranding of DK?

As with any info provided by SD, it's wait and see - don't believe it until you see it.
post #90 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-07-13, 01:07 AM
Veteran

andyrewski wrote: Hi The ITV weather is it the ITV from England that will be on shaw direct and what day will it be coming on.

No.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...2&postcount=31

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
Closed Thread

Tags
new channels , star choice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in