Can I turn my Quad dish 90degrees to receive vertical signals ? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-10-26, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Can I turn my Quad dish 90degrees to receive vertical signals ?

Hello Folks

Hoping you can help me out here. I live at the north end of Baffin Island (Pond Inlet, 72.68N, 77.97W) and signal strength on the A Sat (of a 75cm eliptical) can be tuned to a max of about 45%. When I originally tuned it in I was able to get a few HD channels but they were temperamental, flicking in & out and were lost altogether after the first wind.

What I'd like to do is use a second 75cm eliptical to hone in on the B sat (F2), the first dish being used soley to pick up the A sat (F1). Is it a simple case of running a cable from the A outlets of dish one to input 1 on my 530 and another cable from the B outlets of the 2nd dish to input 2 ?

Or, do I need a switch to do this and /or take advantage of the PVR cabalities ?

Today we were getting about 34% (using a second dish & without fine tuning) on the B sat and picture on the 700 channels (told that these were horizontal signal channels) but a negligible signal (16/red) on the vertical signal channels like 276 & 350. If I'm not able to get the vertical signals is it possible/likely that turning the dish 90 degrees would have the effect of increasing the vertical signals and decreasing the horizontal signals ?

Any advice on this and I would be mighty obliged.
cheers.

Last edited by 72degreesNorth; 2008-10-26 at 09:26 PM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-10-26, 09:30 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi and welcome here! Any option of getting a 1.1m or 1.2m dish for each bird? Those birds are StarChoice @ 111 and 107deg., right? A 75cm eliptical seems small for your latitude.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-10-26, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ... I've found your forums very informative.

Originally we used the 1.2m Bell dish back in the early noughts but lost certain channels over the winter, then when SC came on the scene we switched to them using the same dish - fine and no picture loss other than on wet rainy days which don't happen often in our part of the world.

other folks here were sent the SC 1m round dish which worked well. Originally I was thinking of going with the 75cm eliptical for the sat A signals and installing the a 1m SC round dish to pick up the B sat signals but I would hav eto make sure I used stacked lnbs on both (I do actually have one of those Y-shaped dual torpedo lnbs for the eliptical).

If I use a stacked lnb on the 1m round dish for B sat pick-up will I be able to pick up both vertical and horizontal signals with this type of lnb ?

Last edited by 57; 2008-10-27 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Moved to *C.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-10-29, 06:09 PM

it's a common misconception to think that the oval dishes are picking up more from the sides or horizontally than they are vertically, but the shape of a dish doesn't matter, just like it doesn't matter whether you have a round or a rectangular magnifying glass, it's the same power no matter which direction it's oriented. the only thing that matters really is the surface area, the larger the dish the stronger the signal. from dishpointer.com it recommends a 1.2 meter dish for anik f2 and it says that anik f1 is out of the footprint but you do get something so there is hope for a larger dish. You will likely be using 2 separate dishes since multi-sat dishes in the really big sizes are quite rare. that would mean using 2 separate lnb's and a multiswitch to hook everything up to the receiver(s) if you are using stacked lnbs then you need a 2 in by 2 out (or 4 out switch if you have more than 2 receivers) with 22khz switching. if you are using non-stacked lnb's which are much easier to find to fit the bigger dishes then you will need a 4 in by 4 out multiswitch with 22khz switching.
your elevation is going to be about 6 degrees and 5 degrees is usually considered the lower limit that you would be able to pick up anything at all so you should be able to get good signal with a big enough dish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in