Previously Activated Reciever + New Dish = ? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-10-28, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinza View Post
My understanding of the StarChoice system is that as long as the exact same type of Dish/LNBF is used it will work immediately. If the Dish/LNBF is not identical, then a call to StarChoice will be required to get the receiver working.
Can anyone else confirm this...if the dish has to be identical then I'll have to be careful when buying a used dish...on a side note, does anyone have a preffered dealer for (standalone) dishes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-10-28, 10:31 PM

Question

Well big deal!! hahaha you are hilarious. I'm just stating a point and an answer to the question that was being asked, you don't have to get upset!!! I also take offence to what you said to me about justifying what I do?? What do I do?? I have an account with starchoice and pay my monthly bill just like you do! Oh and by the way it is illegal to buy stolen goods.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-10-29, 08:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilke View Post
Can anyone else confirm this...if the dish has to be identical then I'll have to be careful when buying a used dish...on a side note, does anyone have a preffered dealer for (standalone) dishes?
There is a code number on the LNBF, this MUST match the Code on the LNBF where the main account is being held.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-10-29, 09:26 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecowyr View Post
Well big deal!! hahaha you are hilarious. I'm just stating a point and an answer to the question that was being asked, you don't have to get upset!!! I also take offence to what you said to me about justifying what I do?? What do I do?? I have an account with starchoice and pay my monthly bill just like you do! Oh and by the way it is illegal to buy stolen goods.
Glad you got a chuckle. No offence intended.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-10-29, 02:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinza
There is a code number on the LNBF, this MUST match the Code on the LNBF where the main account is being held.
This is not true. The only thing that matters is if the receiver is set to the right LNBF type (stacked/non-stacked), and the region is correct (East vs. West). The system doesn't keep track of codes/serial #'s of LNBFs).
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-10-29, 04:06 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
This is not true. The only thing that matters is if the receiver is set to the right LNBF type (stacked/non-stacked), and the region is correct (East vs. West). The system doesn't keep track of codes/serial #'s of LNBFs).
That is correct.

Were did you get that info Pinza!
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-10-29, 04:40 PM

there was a rumour floating around about a year ago that SC was somehow going to upgrade all LNBs and there would be a 2-way communication between LNB and each receiver in the house and that had to match with your account. Something to that effect. If your LNB was not registered it was deemed to be account splitting and you would need to call in to get it fixed or sorted out.

I kind of thought it was an ok idea, maybe a little expensive to replace all of the LNBs and the return was likely not there so it may have been scrapped. I'm sure they could phase it in for any new or replacements and set that account up for the new system.

Never heard anything again.

Edit - found the thread - maybe they are doing this in stealth mode....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in