HD picture quality going downhill? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

HD picture quality going downhill?

Is it just me or does anyone else notice that the picture quality on some HD channels has deteriorated in the last little while? I have had HD for 2 1/2 years now and generally have been quite pleased with it. Trying to watch the first series game on SNET last night was painfull. Switched to Fox and it was better but still not like it used to be. After watching Dan Rather on HDNET today am wondering why all HD channels cannot be more like this one. Perfect in my opinion........I'm just venting a little.....but after last nights, and tonights Series pics on SNET...its very disappointing.

Last edited by mharley; 2008-10-23 at 09:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 12:03 AM

ya TSN-HD looks like garbage. just looking at the ticker during sportscenter, you can see all the compression artifacts around the numbers. I think it's because of the new NHL PPV and Center Ice hockey channels they have added. And maybe 'The Frame' HD channel as well. Disapointing.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Okay...I'm talking about SNET and its pitiful coverage......guess i'm the only one.....

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 07:31 AM

I have the same problem. Called *choice and they say it's from the orginal broadcast feed and nothing to do with *C. Called my friend who has the same channel from Rogers and he say's it,s a perfect picture.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 08:58 AM
fmr

"it's from the orginal broadcast feed and nothing to do with *C"

Typical BS that satisfies 73% of their customers.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 09:26 AM

Quality has definitely dropped substantially

I have had HD from the beginning with Rogers and definitely the quality is down. I remember thinking the only analogue channel that could possibly compare to HD was CIBC Hockey on Saturday night. Now there is hardly a difference between HD and non-HD and it is the HD channels that have come down not the otehr way around. I also agree HDNET is always good. At least the cost have gone down with wider circulation. What a load of bull.

I am on the fringe and have not made the OTA investment yet but it seems like the only way to get top quality that I know is and was possibly.

Is there any place to complaint to the CRTC. The lack of competition that just adds to consumer apathy is appalling.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 11:18 AM

Well I have Bell HD & Starchoice HD .It still looks better than on Bell HD though so it could be worse, as I always notice its softer on Bell & the grass always seems to be "moving" and flickering. Same with hockey too as the ice always "moves" and flickers. Though I do agree *C overall HD quality has dropped slightly.

9242 | HR23-600 | HTPC i7 | ISF calibrated & patched KURO KRP-600M(Only 500 made by Pio) & 3 cats
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 11:27 AM

Location: Halifax (Motorola HD DVR DCX3400-M/DCX700M 50" Plasma)
Heh , I never saw this earlier but I have posted a similar one in the Eastlink section . I'm with Eastlink and I saw the exact same issues so it's not just a Starchoice/Bell issue. Look at my post from today on the link below.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=93263
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 12:37 PM
Veteran

I've found sporting events to be hit and miss, but TSN HD and CBC HD haven't been as good as SN so far this season for HD hockey IMO.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 02:53 PM

"Typical BS that satisfies 73% of their customers."

Quoted for truth.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 02:59 PM

I find that if the station you are watching is the original broadcaster the HD quality is good. A TSN or CTV pickup of an original ESPN or US network broadcast loses something.

Nothing beats the quality of Sunday Night Football on NBC in terms of live events IMO.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 09:47 PM

The Hamilton/Calgary football game on TSN HD tonight is of fantastic quality for me tonight.Although I did find the quality of the World series on SN the other night not so good,so I turned it over to Fox.I find most of the live sporting events are of very good quality but lately I've noticed a slight degradation of the regular tv shows.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

The first two games of the World Series on SportsNet were of terrible quality. I cant remember seeing anything on SN that bad. Fox was much better. Yes the CFL games on TSN are generally very good considering they have so many differeant lighting conditions from city to city. I'm just a little pissed at SportsNet for offering us that crappy picture of Series games and driving us to Fox. Will be interesting tomorrow in Philidelphia to see what kinda pic they have.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-25, 02:06 PM

I'm so sick of the Nikon ad running on Snet (the one with the Who blasting 10db louder than the previous programming), that i'm watching Fox now.

Sony KDL-52XBR4,SD DVR530/630,Tosh HD-A2 HD-A30, Pana DMP-BD65, Pio VSX-1015,Energy C3,CC100,ESM-4,S8.2, Engenius WAP
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-10-25, 02:43 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If some of the channels on your provider are good, then it's unlikely that the service provider is at fault. If the provider were, then all the HD channels would look poor. HDNet, Discovery, provide good quality signals and you can tell.

See the following previous thread on the variations in HD:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44772

As for SportsNet, please see the following thread which indicates some sort of issue they have with bringing in programming:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=90093

Ranting here and discussing the CRTC isn't really helpful if you don't understand what's really happening. For example, people ranting about Rogers compressing HD, when they are the one provider in Canada who does not compress HD channels!

Quote:
"it's from the orginal broadcast feed and nothing to do with *C"

Typical BS that satisfies 73% of their customers.
To a significant degree, the CSR was correct, although there is some minor compression by *C, that's not what's causing the significant problems with channels like SN. So, although 27% of the people may not be satisfied with the "BS", it's not BS, it's true! Had the CSR said it has "little" instead of "nothing" to do with *C, the comment would have been completely accurate.

Another contributing factor to people believing that HD quality is going down is the fact that when they first got HD, it was new and looked great compared to what they had been seeing. After viewing HD for a while, it starts to become the norm and anything that's not excellent, then starts looking mediocre.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in