Star Choice honoured for superior customer service - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-22, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Star Choice honoured for superior customer service

For the third time in four years, Star Choice, the Direct-to-Home (STH) satellite television provider owned by Shaw Communications, has received the SQM Group Inc. 2006 award for the Highest Customer Satisfaction Rating within the Telecommunications and TV industry.

Overall customer satisfaction at Star Choice was 73 per cent in 2008, compared to an average of 55 per cent for telecommunications industries and 67 per cent for call centre industries.

To arrive at its rankings, SQM benchmarked over 352 North American contact centres for the period ranging from October 1st, 2007 to September 30th, 2008. In each contact centre, SQM surveyed approximately 400 customers within 1 to 3 days of their call to the contact centre to rate their satisfaction and service experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-22, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Despite the naysayers, I think the general consensus among many members here is that Star Choice offers very good service so a hearty "job well done" to the customer service folks.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-22, 02:56 PM

Thumbs up

i ve had star choice for a year now & while there have been a few glitches like someone at star choice trying to tell me sportsnet was not allowed in newfoundland for the most part they have been great ,i was surprised how easy it was to get in touch with someone to help you with problems compared to bell & persona

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-22, 03:17 PM

I agree

Having Star Choice for a year plus now I have had a couple of issues and everytime I get it right once I get through to the customer service people and frendly too they are.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-22, 05:49 PM
Veteran

Having been a *C subscriber for 7.5 years total, I have to say that customer service has always been strong. In the early years, hold times were long, but the CSRs were always very helpful and polite. The call back option is a biggie for me. Why it hasn't caught on puzzles me.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-22, 08:28 PM

Every company is going to have those they can't satisfy (whether it be from technical or human error), and usually the bad ones are the ones we hear more about (Bad news travels fast?).

Overall, I've been happy with my Star Choice, never really had any major technical issues and the times I called have almost always been great, obviously minus the few times when you just get those people who don't like their jobs
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 11:52 AM

I have never been anything but satisfied when dealing with their CSRs. I had my 1st 530 fail very early after buyig it. The CSR went through the trouble shooting with me and had a replacement delivered in 3 or 4 days.

I was with Bell for many years and the difference in sevice levels is unbelievable. I would never return to Bell, based on that alone.

I always use the call-back option when offered. They always call back within the window stated. I can do whatever else I want instead of waiting on hold.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 02:49 PM

WOW. They must have low expectations for their award.

I've been with Starchoice for 10 years (so I admittedly have not dealt with their competition), and I have never been overly impressed with their service. I guess customer service is so universally bad for everything now, the one that's "not terrible" wins by default.

Wait times are consistently over 1 hour. Their "on-hold" message is ~30 seconds long (do the math on how many times you hear the same fluff in a 1-hour period)

Any time I have an issue that isn't resolved in a single call (which is often) they always say "I've made a note of this in your file, so the next person you talk to will be informed of the problem". Not once have I ever had them know what was going on when I called back.

The most annoying example of this is my time zone; it's assigned by phone number. I live in Saskatchewan, but since we're on the Manitoba border we go by CST with daylight savings time rather than without like most of the province. They can't get this straight, no matter how many times we explain it or how many times they "make a note"! Every time they do anything to our service, they screw up the timezone and we have to call back.

And why do we have to give them our full information every single time we call?! Any other company just wants an account number. Starchoice wants your full name, address, postal code, eye color, annual income, and shoe size! I can understand it being for security purposes if I wasn't calling from home, but when I am why do they need all this parroted back to them? Are they afraid someone has broken into my house and is using my phone to screw with my programming package?

Is Starchoice the worst? I doubt it, but they fact that they're being honored for excellent achievement shows just how far our expectations have fallen.

And yes, the F2 update has screwed up my system and remains unresolved.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 06:52 PM

I have been on *C now for almost 2 years and they are generally very good with me. I had one horrible call one time and hope that person is no longer there but apart from that the wait isn't too long and they really try to help you. They have disappointed me with their slow addition of channels but they are far better than Rogers or Bell for service. Far far better and, most importantly, still the best value for the money.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 09:42 PM

for me

good value, except for the 530. The 530 is a bit better now with "lifetime" warranty.

very good customer service
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-25, 09:48 AM
fmr

"being honored for excellent achievement shows just how far our expectations have fallen."

Exactly how I feel too.
Anyone noticed that they still fail to satisfy 1 customer in 4. Also, they don't seem to brag about the numbers they got last time. If they went from 80% satisfaction to 73%, that's not very good.

Tags
customer satisfaction , star choice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in