How long will it take to get Star Choice and get hooked up? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-17, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

How long will it take to get Star Choice and get hooked up?

Just wondering how long does it take to get a installer in the Victoria BC area if anyone knows.. Looking to get the equipment tomorrow morning and so would like hooked up ASAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-17, 02:01 PM

I've had Star Choice now for about 3 years and I bought it from a company in Victoria (Langford actually) that does the installation as well. So I didn't have to set up a separate appt. for installation - made it much faster. I believe it took them about a week, so not terribly long at all. I had ExpressVu before so they just switched it over the same day and I wasn't without T.V.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-17, 04:32 PM

I just had an install done in Ontario (Hamilton area) and they were able to come in three days from the time I set up the account. I beleive they said the longest they would be is one business week. If they have openings you will probably get it in no time at all.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-17, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input guys I got the account set up and I have install date for Monday between 8 and 5.. They advised I would get a call in the morning of the 20th with a better time estimate
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-17, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom76 View Post
thanks for the input guys I got the account set up and I have install date for Monday between 8 and 5.. They advised I would get a call in the morning of the 20th with a better time estimate
FYI, I was promised a call too but the guy just showed up at 11:30am, no phone call.

One other thing is that (at least with my installer) he will use existing cables if you have them. I told the installer that 3 new lines were promised and that is what I expected. So he ran 3 new lines but he had to use some of my personal RG6 cable as he did not bring enough to do the install with what he brought. Also, if you are willing to help you can get some extras as I had a fourth line run (at no extra cost except the use of my own cable) so all 4 lines from the LNB head were landed in the house together. Now if I want more than 4 feeds I can add a multiswitch easily.

Good luck with the install!

JB47
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-17, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom76 View Post
Although we at Star Choice tell our installer's to call the customer ahead of time to setup a time for the install, there is no guarantee they will call. Usually they will, because they don't want to waste time and gas going to your house and finding out no one is home. Make sure someone is home to answer the phone because the installer's are told that if they cannot make contact with the customer, they are to cancel the work order and you will have to call back to book a new appointment.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-17, 09:37 PM

When they installed mine,(10 years ago) They ran 1 new line to a room .
asked him to run another line, he said it would cost like 100 $ because it was too far away, So then he used all old existing lines from cable, which are now no more good.(Weathered and do not work at all when very wet)
So when I called them about it, said it would cost me $ to replace any non working lines. Well I just have given up with them.
I will be getting new lines from Videotron, and will maybe keep a bit of SC on the one TV. for the time shift stuff, but only bare essentials. but may just cancel if I am happy with Videotrons HD Quality.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-10-19, 05:28 PM

Quote:
When they installed mine,(10 years ago) They ran 1 new line to a room .asked him to run another line, he said it would cost like 100 $ because it was too far away, So then he used all old existing lines from cable, which are now no more good.(Weathered and do not work at all when very wet)
So when I called them about it, said it would cost me $ to replace any non working lines. Well I just have given up with them.
I don't understand your logic here. Why would you be upset at Star Choice? Getting a new line run nowadays will cost you $50 per line, back then the installer asked for $100. It's cheaper than it would have cost you back then so why the grief? You didn't want to pay for a new line and so you agreed to have the installer used existing lines instead, that's no fault of Star Choice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in