DSR530 Funky Behaviour - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

DSR530 Funky Behaviour

Hi,

I've had a DSR530 HD DVR for about 6 months now, and have noticed that about once a month, it starts acting weirdly, and the only solution to correct this behaviour is to unplug it, wait about a minute and plug it back in again. This seems to re-boot it.

FYI, I normally have it plugged in to a fairly expensive 1,000 VA UPS because I know these things are sensitive to power blips and outages.

Last night, while a program was recording via the timer, I hit "Pause" on a live program and the DVR shut down and re-started. After it re-started, I tried "Pause" again and got the same result. This, of course messed up my timer recording which was now broken into 3 parts with a message that the the first two did not complete due to a "power outage".

A power cycle fixed it.

The time before, it would keep on spontaniously stop playing previously recorded content. I would have to go back to the DVR menu and resume.

A power cycle fixed that too.

I don't like having to do these power plug yanks to re-boot the system every so often, partly because I've heard it can cause errors on the constantly spinning hard drive.

Is this behaviour normal (or at least common)? Is there a "safer" way to re-boot the DVR besides pulling the power plug?

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 06:47 PM
Veteran

You can press and HOLD DOWN the power button on the receiver (not the remote) for about 5-10 seconds and this will start a reboot.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 10:09 PM

I have owned four 530's and everyone has displayed funky behaviour. Recently received another one (not new) because the previous one started the freeze or reboot routine until it was impossible to do any recording or playback. Eventually it died, Anyhows, this latest machine has frozen or rebooted at least five times in two weeks. Funky - you bet
Lester

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-10-05, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
You can press and HOLD DOWN the power button on the receiver (not the remote) for about 5-10 seconds and this will start a reboot.
Interesting... just like a PC. I wonder if the OS is Windows ;-)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-10-30, 01:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Interesting... just like a PC. I wonder if the OS is Windows ;-)
You bet .. I expect it's an alpha version of Vista

Mine has exhibited Sockets symptoms consistantly almost since day one (14 months ago) .. exactly the same problems (with a few more).
It seemed to get worse until a month ago when it took 12 reboots to clear it back to working properly(ish). Two night ago it froze up so bad I can't get it to work .. verified by *C, so they are sending me a NEW (yes a brand new) unit to replace it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in