TSN HD - how to add to DB? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-09-25, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy TSN HD - how to add to DB?

This is my first post. I've searched this forum and haven't found an answer, so I'll try a new thread.

I subscribe to Digital Basics and would like to add TSN HD. I've found many posts that say things like "the only addition you can make to DB is TSN HD", and "you just need find an informed CSR who will add TSN HD to your DB package", and, even more frustrating, "I have DB with TSN HD".

Well, after calling SC many times, I haven't found that informed CSR. Usually I'm put on hold so the CSR can ask someone else if it is possible. Each time I explain that I believe it is possible, and mention that I've read it on this forum, but it never works.

I guess what I'm wondering is this: are there some action words or "magic" phrase that I need to use to convince a CSR to add TSN HD to my Digital Basics package? Exactly what do I need to say to convince a CSR that this is possible?

I should also mention that I don't want to take a hostile approach and threaten to switch services because, well, I have no intention of switching. Though I have a few gripes with SC, overall my experience has been good. It's just frustrating to read here that it is possible to add TSN HD only to get the opposite response from every CSR I've spoken with.

Thanks for any insight you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-09-25, 03:11 PM
Veteran

Use the SC website and send an e-mail to "Ask Jim", not the regular customer service inquiry. They are fairly fast with a response and you can be assured of an accurate answer.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-09-25, 03:40 PM

Thumbs up You can do it from SC's website

Go to this page detailing HD Sports bundle.
http://www.starchoice.com/promotions...ts/default.asp

Assuming you are registered to Self-Serve, there will be a link to the bottom right, 'Log in to self-serve to subscribe today'. Once you are logged in, it will allow you to add HD-sports to your digital basic package.

Hope this helps! Good luck

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-09-25, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the quick responses.

@ dish_sc: I guess I should have mentioned that I tried the online self-serve option before posting. I thought SC had solved this problem with their new website, and, at first, it looked as though I'd be able to do it online. But ...

The following dialogue box pops up when I check the box beside "HD Sports bundle":

To receive Rogers Sportsnet HD and Speed HD, you must subscribe to the Sports bundle.
Choose OK to add the Sports bundle or choose CANCEL to just add TSN HD.
OK CANCEL

So, I choose the CANCEL option to just add TSN HD. This dialogue pops up:

Please select a package.
OK

After clicking OK my browser (Firefox) jumps to the top of the page where I can select only from Digital Favorites, Ultimate, Platinum, Titanium, Gold, Silver, Aluminum, and Bronze. I can't pick Digital Basics (which I expected -- it's been mentioned in other threads before).

Maybe there is some option I'm missing where I can pick DB, but I can't see it? If so, please let me know.

@ starchoice: I'll try the Ask Jim option.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-09-25, 04:18 PM

Ask-Jim might be the best option then.

I did not realize that you get those errors now. I added HD sports, as soon as the bundle was available to be added online (sometime in Feb this year?) and it worked almost immediately. I realize that Dig Basic is no longer offered as an option online. Evidently, they have broken something (intentionally, perhaps!) now. As 'starchoice' suggested, Ask Jim is your best bet. They are normally very helpful.

Good luck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-09-26, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ask Jim and you shall receive

Well, I submitted my question via the "Ask Jim" web form and my request was answered. I wrote a short message, included copies of my posts from this thread, and then submitted my question.

By the time I got home later that evening (the same day I submitted the request) my programming had been changed to include TSN HD and there was a message explaining that it would be free for the first three months. Though this is a small gesture and really wasn't necessary -- I just wanted to add TSN HD and was willing to pay the $1.99/month -- things like this don't go un-noticed. In this age of bad customer service I'm happy that something like "Ask Jim" exists, and works.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-09-26, 11:27 AM
Veteran

Getting that kind of service is what Star Choice is all about. Sure, there have been horror stories, as noted on this forum but it is often the way you approach them without a demanding attitude that will get results.

A couple of weeks ago I was frustrated with missing the Nascar race from Richmond because of the TSN2 fiasco. Not only did I get a satisfying reply from Jim's team but they gave me open Hotpass for the Loudon race in case weather affected coverage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in