Very happy with DVR 530 HD - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-27, 11:17 AM

I have received a new unit (no charge) to replace my second new DVR530 which died only after 7 months of service.

First TSR would not send me a replacement for free. Called a second time in the afternoon and second TSR made me very happy when she agreed to send me a new unit for free, not even shipping.

It was pre-loaded with E4.

Question: who has replace a 530 more than 3 times?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-27, 11:38 PM

I've replaced 4 DVR530's since November 2007
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 12:38 PM
rlb

My dad is waiting for number 7 to be delivered this week. I think two of those were DOA when he received them. He hasn't paid a cent for any of the replacements otherwise he would have dropped *C long ago.
Personally I'm on my second and it appears pretty stable (knock on wood).
We both bought them when they first hit the market and mine gets used a lot more than his so I don't know what is causing a higher failure rate at his house.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 02:01 PM

Could it be this from the Shaw forum???

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=79535

I killed myself laughing when I saw that pic.....

As an aside but to stay on topic, My 530 has been great with only the occaisional reboot every two or so months. Going on a year now with no real complaints. 530 gets used daily. Really only seem to have issues when rewinding / FF watching something while recording something else...something described many times before here so I really should know better...always get "that look" from the Mrs when I lock the thing up......

Last edited by jasonreg; 2008-01-28 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added 530 comments
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogibear View Post
First unit: Jan 2006 - June 2007 (worked for 18 months approx)

Second unit: June 2007 - Jan 2008 (worked fine for 7 months)

There is a problem somewhere with this machine. Life expectency for a 530 seems to be very short.

My last unit died suddenly, without any warning signs at all (i guess it had a stroke). My first unit died of a real slow death that lasted a month or so.

Now SC wants me to pay $100 for a replacement

I told SC that i refuse to pay $100 every six months for a 530... I will have to call back again later. This is not normal at all.
Call back for sure, there are very few techs who will actually charge the $199 replacement fee.

With that said I would consider the $100 replacement fee fairly reasonable. The 530 is covered under a one year warranty, which your unit was well past the first time it was replaced at no cost. The replacement units come with a 30day warranty which again you are well over. Typically the replacement charge for a 530 is $199 + $13.99 shipping so in the end $100 is not to bad.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-28, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAG View Post
Call back for sure, there are very few techs who will actually charge the $199 replacement fee.

With that said I would consider the $100 replacement fee fairly reasonable. The 530 is covered under a one year warranty, which your unit was well past the first time it was replaced at no cost. The replacement units come with a 30day warranty which again you are well over. Typically the replacement charge for a 530 is $199 + $13.99 shipping so in the end $100 is not to bad.
The 530 should have never been sold, but only available as a rental until it has been proven to be reliable.

I would really like to know how many originial units are still working properly. My expectation was that the unit needed to last at least 3 years. So far, the average is 12 months.

Maybe it is Motorola that can't provide a good hardware as i had to change many Motorola units in the past. I still have my first original General Instruments (aug 2000).
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-05-06, 10:16 PM

LOL his name is Rob not Bob.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-12-28, 10:42 PM
Rookie

Some DSR530 questions

I just upgraded from an old basic StarChoice box to the DVR and have a few questions for users who are more familiar with this.
I went through the "DSR 530 discussion" thread [34 pages] and it was so painful and I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
The manuals that came with mine don't really give a lot of info ... maybe I'm missing a manual. I have very little info on running the PVR.

Maybe a good thread would be a "DSR530 Tips and Tricks".

Anyway, here goes:
1. The installer hooked up the box to the tv using the component cables, not the dvi-hdmi cable that was also in the box. Any reason for this? I would asume the latter should be a better connection, but maybe he knows something I don't.
2. When you are on your "Favorites", the guide only shows the channels I want, but when I use the channel up/down key, it still hit's the unwanted channels. Same for locked out channels. Is there a work-around?
I noticed if I hit the 'favorites' key, it goes up to the next favorite channel - is there another key that will go down to the next fav?

I had more questions, but forget them now. Oh well.
Thanks.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-12-29, 12:59 AM

1. The picture quality is the same for component and DVI. My 530 only came with component cables but I switched to HDMI just because I could. There's no handshaking issues with component.

2. My favourites are the HD channels that I get and I always press GUIDE and go up or down to the channel I want. So I can't help you with your second question.

If you go to StarChoice land all the real manuals are here and the remote manuals are here. There are different versions of the 530 remote that are programmed differently so good luck.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-12-29, 03:00 PM

I am into my fifth 530 and I really love what the receiver can do. What I do not like is waiting for replacement receivers when the 530 eventually fails. I have another high def received (without recording ability) standing by for when this latest one fails. The latest 530 is already freezing occasionally, rebooting itself, and some shows I have recorded freeze the system so I have to delete them and often when I jump forward over a commercial I lose sound. I really should not have had to buy a spare receiver for those occasions when the machine dies. One good thing is that I do not have to pay for the replacements. I live in hope that the forthcoming download will solve the problems I have lived with for years with this machine. None of the previous codes have solved the problems.
Lester

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in