PCM or dolby digital output? And Why? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

PCM or dolby digital output? And Why?

I will be connecting my DSR 505 to my new Yamaha RXV1800 reciever using a digital optical cable (Toslink).

I understand that PCM is uncompressed, whereas dolby digital signals need to be decoded by the A/V reciever.

I'm confused as to which output setting I need to use for my setup? I have a 5.1 speaker setup connected to the reciever. If the tv program is being broadcast in 5.1, do I need to have dolby digital selected in order to hear the discrete channels?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 04:19 PM
gmd

that is correct.

Regarding "why?", PCM contains L+R only, uncompressed. Back in the days of the 401, it was one or the other, and the L+R analog would only work on PCM. This made it quite obvious as to what was going out of the fiber.

-gmd

SC: 8-Feb-02>21-Jul-09 (TFO) | EVu: 23-Jan to 03-Feb-07, back 20-Jun-09
Bell, French packages, pls! Long live OTA!

Last edited by gmd; 2008-01-18 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added the "why?" part.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Ok so if I leave the setting at dolby digital output for 5.1 sound, then what happens with all the other programs with regular 2 ch stereo? Will I still get sound through the receiver, or do I have to keep switching back to PCM for regular 2 ch stereo? I sure hope I don't have to keep switching between the two output settings. That would be a big PITA.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 09:02 PM

Nothing to worry about, leave it as is. You will get all sound output through your receiver, without switching anything.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 09:26 PM

I assume these STB behave the same as SA ones I have.

If you set it to PCM then the STB must decode the DD and MP2 audio into 2 channel PCM. This is for people who may not have DD decoding ability in their AVR (very rare these days).

If you set it to DD it will pass the DD signal without decoding. MP2 audio will be decoded to PCM. I don't believe any broadcaster sends PCM.

So to summarize if your AVR does DD set it to DD. If not set it to PCM. This setting has no effect on the analog audio outputs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 11:50 AM
Veteran

Starchoice uses DD a their native audio format. Selecting DD outputs that native DD stream, whatver its capacity (1.0, 2.0 , 5.1, or other).
PCM downconverts 5.1 to Pro-logic, or outputs the native 1.0 as two identical channels, or 2.0 as stereo (with whatever encoding was on it).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in