Star Choice HD Programming Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Star Choice HD Programming Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss Star Choice HD programming packages and offerings.

Replaces the Star Choice 2007 HD Programming Discussion thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 04:10 PM

I'm a newbie to HD having just bought my first HD TV over xmas... I've been reading the HD programming thread so I apologize if this has been covered...

Why no CITY TV HD feed on *C? When I watch City SD it often advertises that the program (Blood Ties) is available in HD, but there doesn't seem to be a CITY HD channel? Only CBC and CTV so far on the Canadian front?

Also, am I correct that if a show's info on a HD channel has a HDTV icon on it that the program is broadcast in true HD?

I ask because on SHOWCASE HD, Saving Grace is listed as HD, but the pic quality certainly doesn't look it to me. Is SHOWCASE HD just poor quality/feed?

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
post #3 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 07:48 PM
Veteran

Citytv HD is likely coming very soon as it was mentioned several times in a CRTC notice regarding simsubs on Shaw/StarChoice. CTV West is also likely going to be available soon.

From the HD that I have seen on Showcase HD, it has always been typically good.

Do you have an HD set-up box from StarCHoice (ie DSR505 or DVR530)? Are you tuned to channel 277?

It is possible that the program was just in widescreen and not "real HD"

post #4 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 09:33 AM

I have the DVR 530 and yes I was watching the HD channel.

I assume that if a show has the "HDTV" logo listed in it's info that means it's supposed to be HD? The program I was watching did have the HDTV icon so I thought that meant it was a true HD program? Is that how you know when something is HD by the "HDTV" logo?

I've watched both Saving Grace and Regenesis on ShowcaseHD and both looked lower quality to me than say, Supernatural on WGNHD... and both had the "HDTV" logo listed on their show info.

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
post #5 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 10:08 AM
Veteran

City-HD was on *C for a while on a part time basis, when their few channels were al a carte. They would switchover to them for Star Trek and other "notable" programs. It will be good to see them back.
ShowcaseHD and A&E-HD have often been criticized for their PQ. Many of the shows are just upconverts, so if you can find an alternative channel, you might find better results.
We've come a long way from one HD channel showing PBS demo loops every few hours. Now, if they could just find space for SpeedHD before the Daytona 500 in February.
post #6 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 06:07 PM

I also have noticed that Showcase is not the best most times not as good as HDnet etc but is still way ahead of SD I'd compare it to when I watch a DVD or just slightly better this difference is from the Showcase end. *C as I understand uses the same bandwidth and 1080 for all HD channels.

since the last bunch of HD added was mostly premuim stuff like TMN etc. I hope that the next bunch of chanels are regualr stuff like City, CTV west etc. but please don't waste good Bandwidth with Global!

Last edited by dmoes; 2008-01-04 at 06:19 PM.
post #7 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 09:44 PM
Veteran

I actually find Showcase to be very good. CSI Miami on ShowcaseHD has better PQ than on AEHD. Showcase is not as good at NatGeo though.
post #8 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-05, 08:42 PM

When can we expect to see any new HD channels and all of the upgrades that I keep on hearing. First I hear that late December we would get more channels...and now the new year....well...its the new year...so where are all of these changes. Just increase in pricing eh?

Sony XBR75X940D, Yamaha HTR-8063, Infinity TSS-1200, Polk Audio 8" Sub, Optik 4K VIP5662W & VIP5602W, PS4, Harmony Hub
post #9 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-05, 10:31 PM
Veteran

Q1 for more HD channels, Q2 for new software...at least that was the plan last month.
post #10 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 06:43 PM

Why are they wasting space on CTV west etc. Get new channels like TLC and HGTV - you would get a lot more people with those than stupid CTV-W HD - all the HD content is just pulled off other networks anyway.
post #11 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 06:56 PM
Veteran

They have to be fair to western subscribers. CTVWHD will not do me any good, however if I lived in BC, I'd probably have a different opinion.
post #12 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 08:11 PM
Veteran

This will CRTC force their hand on local HD channels. They are going to take priority over any specialty channel whether you like it or not.
post #13 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-08, 01:39 PM
gmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ77
They have to be fair to western subscribers.
So they can have simsub too, when they start.

-gmd

SC: 8-Feb-02>21-Jul-09 (TFO) | EVu: 23-Jan to 03-Feb-07, back 20-Jun-09
Bell, French packages, pls! Long live OTA!
post #14 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-09, 04:21 AM

It's official: starting February 1st, you have to buy the new Sports HD Pack to keep Rogers Sportsnet HD and TSN HD. The cost is 1,99$ per month, but those who have Platinum Choice Plus and beyond as well as Ultimate Choice are exempt of any charges.
post #15 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-09, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbracing24 View Post
Now, if they could just find space for SpeedHD before the Daytona 500 in February.
If they do get that channel, The 500 will probably get sim-subbed like every other major sporting event.. Thanks CRTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in