Star Choice HD Programming Discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-09, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinoche
It's official: starting February 1st, you have to buy the new Sports HD Pack to keep Rogers Sportsnet HD and TSN HD. The cost is 1,99$ per month, but those who have Platinum Choice Plus and beyond as well as Ultimate Choice are exempt of any charges.
I guess that means those of us with Digital Basic who now get TSN-HD will be losing it. And no way to add it without upgrading to an Essentials pkg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 03:45 AM

That would very uncool, as I just downgraded my subscription to Digital Basics last week, based partly on the fact that TSN-HD was included. If they need to charge a buck more for the package, fine...

Last edited by bwaldron; 2008-01-11 at 03:50 AM.
post #18 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 08:00 AM

Quote:
It's official: starting February 1st, you have to buy the new Sports HD Pack to keep Rogers Sportsnet HD and TSN HD. The cost is 1,99$ per month, but those who have Platinum Choice Plus and beyond as well as Ultimate Choice are exempt of any charges.
Would appreciate confirmation on this. SC website does not appear to say anything about it. Haven't seen anything else on this, anywhere else.

Quote:
I guess that means those of us with Digital Basic who now get TSN-HD will be losing it. And no way to add it without upgrading to an Essentials pkg.
Quote:
That would very uncool, as I just downgraded my subscription to Digital Basics last week, based partly on the fact that TSN-HD was included. If they need to charge a buck more for the package, fine...
I had also been looking closely at downgrading to DB. Would not like to lose TSN-HD but am currently paying well over $55 with Digital Favourites and HD Extra...getting difficult to justify the cost. And I agree, I believe most folks would rather pay a little bit more for DB if necessary. A (small) price increase might be acceptable to most, but to lose a channel...and in the case of DB, lose the channel and have to pay $18 more to keep it!

What I can't understand is why the extra pay would now suddenly be required just to receive the HD feed. If HD is to be the "new standard" then I presume the new standard is higher price for less product delivered.

post #19 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Would appreciate confirmation on this. SC website does not appear to say anything about it. Haven't seen anything else on this, anywhere else
Just got off the phone with a SC CSR after cancelling LeafsTV, and she told me that as of Feb. 1 there would be a $1.99/month fee required to keep TSN and RSN HD channels. She also said that to get the HD feed, you must be subscribed to the SD equivalent. Came as a surprise to me as well since I had neither heard nor read anything about it either, nor had SC put out a notice. That's why I came by here this morning, to see if I'd missed something.
post #20 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 11:30 AM
fmr

Currently, there are 13 HD channels included in the DB package and it includes TSN HD, but not RSN HD. If they removed that channel, they would have to notify customers, while removing channels from the "most free HD in Canada" package doesn't really need any warning. We all know sooner or later those channels will be repackaged to increase SC's revenue.
post #21 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-14, 12:21 PM

SC has confirmed to me that they are removing TSN-HD and adding the Sports HD Pack for $1.99 on Feb 1. I have Digital Basic and they agreed to add the Sports HD Pack to my account effective Feb 1. It took the rep some time to add it and I have my doubts since this is the first time I have been able to add something to DB.
post #22 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-14, 07:07 PM
Veteran

Viewer mail just came down on my receiver re TSN/Snet-HD.
post #23 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-14, 10:07 PM

could this possibly be foreshadowing the introduction of more HD sports channels (ie Raptors TV HD, Speed HD, thescore HD)??

i asked them about raptors HD when i signed up and they said they were 'working on it'
post #24 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-14, 11:40 PM

Location: Maple Creek,SK - Oppo BDP-83 | Sony PS3 | Tosh 50HM66 | Pio VSX-9120TXH | Bell HD PVR
That is the same response I got when questioning about TheScore HD.
post #25 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-15, 12:06 AM
Veteran

Quote:
foreshadowing the introduction of more HD sports channels (ie Speed HD,
I'm hoping this is the case. I don't mind paying for a decent bundle that I want and TSN plus Speed for my Nascar fix would fit that criteria.
post #26 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-15, 11:13 AM

Here's the link for the new HD Sports Bundle.
post #27 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-15, 02:37 PM
Veteran

So, you can imagine the profit made on the higher packages so they can absorb the $1.99 fee. There goes my pick and pay 2 pack to keep these channels alive, "AT NO EXTRA COST".
post #28 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-15, 03:16 PM
Veteran

Price increases are both annoying and frequent, however, I do believe that the cost to carry TSN/SNETHD is high, much of the same reason for DiscoveryHD/HDNet being extra cost.
post #29 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-15, 05:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiddy View Post
could this possibly be foreshadowing the introduction of more HD sports channels (ie Raptors TV HD, Speed HD, thescore HD)??

i asked them about raptors HD when i signed up and they said they were 'working on it'
See: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=70388

Long live the console war! Buy 'em all! Just don't give Sony any of your Personal info!
post #30 of 362 (permalink) Old 2008-01-15, 10:10 PM

I can possibly see why the new cost for this bundle was implemented,with Sportsnet adding HD nhl telecasts now to their schedule,the production costs for sure went up,so their's a possible reason.Then TSN seeing this might of jumped at the chance to raise pricing also.Therefore increases always get passed on to the consumers,even though we do not agree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in