Replacing and upgrading the DVR530 Hard Drive (will Void your warranty!) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-12, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
ARR

I highly doubt the 250GB used on the East coast was the same model in the auto makers version and may or may not be the same as the other member down South, so I would have so say again that the 250GB ARE working quite fine apparently and as requested, give the other sizes a try and report model and findings.

This community needs to take a proactive stance to open up the units to force *C start to use larger drives and we can all benefit by this, whereas the poor Bell boys MUST replace their disks with those on a supported list.

Here we already know the regular PC drives work fine and we don't need the 5400 lower performance ones the factory uses.

The 120mm fan sucks and I'll try and post a pic or 2 later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-12, 06:18 PM

Quote:
You may want to obtain the security bit to make life easier removing the case screws.
Most real tool supply stores (i.e. not Home Depot) sell a security bit assortment for $5 - $10 and it's handy for all those other electronic devices that need adjusting.
post #18 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-12, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
ARR

Red face Fan's Suck!

As previously mentioned, the fan draws the warm air from above the power supply as shown.

{sorry image no longer available}

The connection is with the standard 4 pin PC power supply connector in a feed through and tapped as shown.

{sorry image no longer available}

The drive stays relatively cool due to the heatsink, but the exiting warm air also help and the is some airflow from the bottom up through the top.

A hand placed on the top cover finds it cool.

I made no attempt to protect the fan wire that exit the back as the screws are not holding the cover down, but the front edge is snapped into place for cosmetic reasons.

Noise is not a problem for 2 reasons:
1. The unit is behind smoked glass doors in a cabinet
2. The fan is a thermally controlled with the sensor closest to the unit and runs well less than full speed.
I'm guessing in the 1200 rpm ranger versus the 3800 rpm maximum.
It's an Antec Smart Cool as opposed to the Tri-Cool series, which would work nicely as well and has the 3 speed fan switch, but this way, it's a set and forget operation.

I'm sure the 80mm would do as well.
It doesn't take much, just a little active air movement to exhaust the heat does wonders.

While this should in theory increase life span, it likely doesn't help those that suffer from the cold cpu startup syndrome.

I use the same technique on a popular HD FTA PVR that suffers from a thermal problem when fully 'accessorized'.

Last edited by hugh; 2008-02-12 at 10:48 AM.

post #19 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-17, 02:04 AM

Scenario:
Replace the hard drive and do a format with erase and then get starchoice to reauthorize. In theory the system should work and I now have a useable larger hard drive. I subsequentlly replace again with the original hard drive.

Question:
Will the system need to be reformatted again or can I just put in the old hard drive and access the shows that were originally there?

If so, then you would have a way to archive shows and put in a new hard drive when the original one gets full.

Thoughts anyone? This is something I'm willing to try if you think the shows on the first hard drive will still be watchable after using a different one. Our current drive has some movies and shows that we want to keep indefinitely so I wouldn't want to lose them when I try to put the original hard drive back in.
post #20 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-17, 02:12 AM

Location: Maple Creek,SK - Oppo BDP-83 | Sony PS3 | Tosh 50HM66 | Pio VSX-9120TXH | Bell HD PVR
Next question how can we do backup from the original hard drive? Or will we lose all of the data?
post #21 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-17, 06:58 AM

Very interesting stuff. I am thinking of trying a 320Gb drive very soon. I have a few things recorded on the 160GB drive that I would like to keep and Santa is bringing me a DVD recorder for Christmas, so if I left it on the 160 drive when I remove it can I put it back in at a later date and then record it on the DVD recorder or will it be gone from the 160 drive.

Wade
post #22 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
ARR

Archiving IS possibele, here is why!

The reason for the factory reset with ERASE is to FORMAT the new drive, that's it.
Of course then you need the BOX authorized again.
But when you re-install the original hard drive, the format and data is STILL on the drive and the BOX itself is STILL authorized, so it all works just fine.

The ONLY concern is the HARD DRIVE is MARRIED to the particular unit and the data is 3DES encrypted.
This means the disk will ONLY play in the unit it was recorded on.
If they replace your unit, then the other drives data is unplayable.
They show in the the DVR list, but since the 3DES keys are in the other box, the video won't play.

Now what I think the group should be experimenting with is the external USB connection I mentioned in the article.
The opens the door to all sorts of archiving opportunities.

Do we have any reports of other drives sizes working?

You should be able to do drive backups using a sector copy program.
IF you had a VxWorks files system driver for Windows or Linux, then you'd be able to copy and move the rather large video files around.
post #23 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 07:28 AM

Thanks ARR for the info. I thought it might work that way. I am waiting for the Motorola security driver to arrive in the mail then I am going to give the 320GB drive a try. Would have tried the 400Gb or 500GB drive but 320Gb was all I could find locally.

Wade
post #24 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-21, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
ARR

Thumbs up 750GB works!

From the original thread source, I see reports of the Seagate 750GB WORKING!

Woo Hoo!

Quote:
I am trying a 750Gb drive...

Just received it today and so far its is working well...

Shows 538hrs Std Def and 132hrs HD...

I have just recorded and replayed about 15 minutes of HDnet with DD5.1 and its working perfectly so far...

I'll provide an update after I have recorded a number of programs etc...
Put THAT in your ExpressVu pipe and smoke it!
post #25 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-21, 10:26 PM

750gb working!!

hell yes, i'm gonna get me one of those. I was going be safe and try a 250gb, but the idea of a drive that large is nice..

keep us updated
post #26 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-28, 02:17 PM

Returned my 320GB drive that I bought locally and ordered a 750Gb online. I received it yesterday and installed it and everything seems to be working well. Diag R reads 665.9 free space internal temp 30. All I can say is WOW.
A note to those who may be like me and try to pull back on the cover to remove it after removing the screws do not try. The cover needs to be lifted straight up to disengage the front.
Will post again when have more recordings on hard drive.

Wade
post #27 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-28, 03:37 PM

Still waiting for my part from newelectronx. It has made it's way to Canada but I assume it's been sitting in customs for the last 3 days. Have you tried swapping the drives in and out?
post #28 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-28, 06:51 PM

Got home from work today and my part has arrived. I plan on swapping drives tonight.
If a receiver is left alone overnight will it download the approriate channel map on its own or do I have to call starchoice for the hit? I don't mind waiting overnight if everything will reload and be ready for tomorrow morning. If not, Wade, what did you tell starchoice when you called for the hit?
post #29 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-28, 06:56 PM

Can someone please post the exact hard drive model #s. I think I've found the proper Seagate series. Is it the 750 GB " ST3750640A" , 500 GB ST3500630A ?
post #30 of 232 (permalink) Old 2007-11-28, 08:09 PM

Lumpy, I did as per the advice of ARR as stated in post#7 of this thread.

Kitttys, the model I used was the 750GB IDE Hard Drive 7200.10 rpm 16 MB Cache-OEM ST3750640A
Wade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in