Replacing and upgrading the DVR530 Hard Drive (will Void your warranty!) - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #226 of 232 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 11:53 PM

I don't know much about the Hitachi and would agree a 4K cluster is most likely to be trouble since the VXWorks format may not support it.

On some of the WD AF drives (Green for sure) you can add a hardware jumper to align the 4K sectors. That 'may' play better in there.

I bought a couple of Seagate 500GB IDE's that are a perfect fit for the application, but my 530 died before I could place them in service.

Figured 500 vs the 160 was more than enough capacity based on balance of usage and not wanting to have to try and watch 100+HD hours of shows or worse, loosing it all either.

This way there is no fuss with much of anything.
The USD-IDE interface is a 100% mechanical fit.

As I've moved onto a HTPC with dual 12TB media servers, they are available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 232 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 03:53 PM
Rookie

Recording problem seems to be solved

After hooking up the 4-pin molex power plug to the original IDE board, recording/playback has been seemless and trouble free. Before when I was having trouble, there were error messages in the diagnostics data A2 debug. They were:

ERROR: pUsbBulkDev = = Null in getUsbBulkDev
ERROR: Failed in getDrivePower

over and over again for 6 pages, then:

userRestart called by SysCtrl
copy: error reading file after copying 65536 bytes
userRestart called by SysCtrl

Then I connected the 4-pin plug on the old IDE board (after seeing "Failed in getDrivePower") and everything seems to working great...knock on wood. If anything, this old DSR530 is lightning fast compared to the new 630. Time to hack that one I guess...
post #228 of 232 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 09:06 PM

Good job and that makes sense really.
The molex power not only supplies the IO chip on the board, but passes power onto the connected drive.

post #229 of 232 (permalink) Old 2011-10-16, 06:08 AM

500 gb st3500630a

Any suggestions on where to buy a stable 500 GB ST3500630A?
post #230 of 232 (permalink) Old 2011-10-16, 03:23 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
Yoshi, check your PM's.
post #231 of 232 (permalink) Old 2011-10-23, 03:37 PM
Rookie

Hitachi 2TB

Well, it's been awhile now since I did the ultimate SATA mod to my DSR530. All I can say is that I'm totally satisfied and the setup has been nothing but 100% stable. In fact, everything is working so well that I went out and bought another Hitachi 2TB so that I can enjoy this receiver for many years to come. I also added a cooling fan to the hard disk to ensure long drive life (the drive is encased in the original heat sinks, sitting on top of the rear left corner of the receiver). This fan (attached to the underside of the drive) keeps the entire receiver cool. The right rear corner used to always be moderately warm to slightly hot...now it is completely cool. Excellent!

Here are the things I used to accomplish this:

-StarTech 40 Pin Male IDE to SATA Adapter Converter
(http://ca.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/...verter~IDE2SAT)

-StarTech LP4 to SP4 and LP4 Power Y Splitter Cable M/F
(http://ca.startech.com/Cables/Comput...all-end~PYO2SL)

-Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 -2TB 512K Sector Size
(http://www.hitachigst.com/internal-d...eskstar-7k3000)

-Vantec IceberQ Hard Drive Cooler
(http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/452)

-Original heat sinks from old 160GB drive

I think it's important to note that a 512K sector size drive must be used. Don't quote me on this as I have not tried the newer 4K drives, but logic tells me it would more than likely cause problems. If someone does try a 4k drive and it works, all that much the better because the 512K drives are already becoming hard to get, and will eventually become extinct like IDE.

I must tip my hat to 7ninty and others for their posts in this thread which helped me accomplish this. Thanks!
post #232 of 232 (permalink) Old 2012-01-21, 01:22 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
I used your instructions to install new disks in 2 PVRs here in Mexico. I had to wait for the guide for a long time after asking for a reset online. Then I had to go into the hidden menu and ask for a retune of tuner 2. Now it works again receiving signal from the satellite rather than the dreaded 39!.

Bought the second PVR off craigslist in Toronto for $85. It worked fine for 3 months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in