Replacing and upgrading the DVR530 Hard Drive (will Void your warranty!) - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #181 of 232 (permalink) Old 2009-07-03, 01:22 PM
Rookie

Yep it works Great !

Yes this definitely works, and has for me since February.
Currently using two drives 1TB an 2TB

The photos in Album in my User Profile, I thought were pretty clear as to setup, takes more time to take photos and upload than do actual SATA setup

-Disconnect and put 530 receiver on a table,
-use small side cutter pliers to remove safety screws and remove cover
-unplug the green circuit board from back of old hard drive
-unplug power plug connecting this green circuit board to power supply inside receiver (its not needed anymore)
-cut a hole in receiver cover (or you could route wires out back of receiver)
cutting a hole lets you have new drive at front of receiver to access easy
-if you cut a hole make sure to cover sharp edges of hole to stop wire rubbing
-connect new power wire with large 4 prong power plug to power supply and run its opposite end the small plug, out hole in receiver cover to the Startech IDE>SATA adapter
-put green circuit board up through hole in receiver cover
-connect IDE end of IDE>SATA adapter to green circuit board (watch that you put missing pin in same spot check your old drive where it is)
-connect SATA end of IDE>SATA adapter to Dock or directly to SATA hard drive
-move receiver back to TV connect it up, connect power last
-let it power up, do FACTORY RESET to format new drive, get a rehit/refresh and your in business (do this for each of your new drives and then they are switchable)

To switch from one drive to another, turn receiver off, disconnect power plug from wall, remove SATA drive1, put in SATA drive2, reconnect power, turn reciever on.

Other than removing those security screws and cutting hole in receiver cover this could be done in 15 minutes, once you have the 2 to 3 parts needed.

If you want big capacity this is a way to do it

You can just switch the IDE drive currently in receiver for another bigger drive but it has to be a Seagate drive an IDE and they are I believe no longer manufactured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 232 (permalink) Old 2009-07-04, 11:48 PM

Thumbs up Congratulations!!!

Very nice work indeed.
I admire the creativity to turn a mediocre receiver into the machine they should have built in the first place.

Yes, It's unlikely they'll get around to supporting the 8VSB OTA modules that the extra cage is used for.

Nor the PCMCIA MPEG4 slot, but at least that's not in the way.

Things have a come along way from the the early posts of that insider guy.
400GB and sorta working to hot swap, 2 GB and sata.
Would would have ever imagined USB->IDE->SATA and working better than the original design.

This will be a must have mod when they release true dual recordings.

Maybe you can come up with a dual drive design for dual tuners using a USB hub or something.

Now need to try one of the USB mirror raid enclosures from Vantec MX
post #183 of 232 (permalink) Old 2009-08-15, 05:44 PM

I got this done today. Maybe a bit of new info here for someone.

I used an iomega external drive enclosure with a 1TB SATA Seagate 7200 inside. I cut the host end off of a spare USB cable and soldered it to a header to mate to the 530 motherboard. Special Note: someone else posted previously that they used a standard USB motherboard connector and noted that the white and green wires were reversed, but it didn't seem to matter. Actually, it does seem to matter, they NEED to be reversed if you use a cable like I did.

I had problems with reboots and unreliable operation at first, then read posts about external drives and external power possibly being a problem. I modified the iomega board to plug directly into the power supply in the 530, now it powers on and off with the receiver just like the original IDE adapter.

So far so good, 724 SD hours/181 HD hours. With a little more soldering I'll be able to mount the iomega inside the case of the 530 so it looks like factory. I wish there were a way to copy my old recordings off of the 160GB drive though...

post #184 of 232 (permalink) Old 2009-08-22, 11:08 PM

You'll need to find a VXWorks filesystem driver to do that.
The files are 3DES encrypted to the unit, but that should be OK since they are going to play in the same unit anyways.

Not sure what happens if you try some disk utilities that would clone the 160 to the new drive and then try and expand the partition to full size.

Also worth a try by doing stuff at the raw sector level.

I don't believe they are using any form of drive indexing yet, so if you could copy the files over, you might be OK.
Spotting the movie content is easy, they are the really big files.
post #185 of 232 (permalink) Old 2009-08-23, 03:41 AM

Quote:
The files are 3DES encrypted to the unit, but that should be OK since they are going to play in the same unit anyways.
is this why the 750Gb drive i swapped into my rtc'd receiver isn't working?

Would there be any way to copy and rewrite them to the HD if i have to format it with the new reciever?

I haven't sent the rec back yet is there anything i can switch from the old one to make it work? It was RTC'd because after several weeks of random rebooting and freezing up it finally wouldn't power on at all.

Last edited by a1canuck; 2009-08-23 at 03:49 AM. Reason: expand question
post #186 of 232 (permalink) Old 2009-08-28, 11:23 PM

Now I have content on the TB drive that I don't want to lose, plus those files on the old 160. I was able to view the directory and the files with a linux OS, but actually copying the files proved to be somewhat troublesome. I could not "read or write from the device" once I actually tried to perform a file operation. I know they are there, b/c I saw the directory. Because VX works is not open source, there doesn't seem to be very much info on it.

Does anyone know of a VX Works filesystem driver that could be used under Windows or Linux?
post #187 of 232 (permalink) Old 2009-08-30, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
is this why the 750Gb drive i swapped into my rtc'd receiver isn't working?

Would there be any way to copy and rewrite them to the HD if i have to format it with the new reciever?

I haven't sent the rec back yet is there anything i can switch from the old one to make it work? It was RTC'd because after several weeks of random rebooting and freezing up it finally wouldn't power on at all.
Yes, that's why they won't play when you swapped it into the new receiver.
Bummer, huh?

No copy to new unit as you would have to decode the MPEG transport stream using the old TSODA chips and then reencode on the new unit.

Sorry, DCII just isn't going to let you even try that.
Go torrent d/l what you are missing and move forward, sorry to say.
post #188 of 232 (permalink) Old 2009-09-06, 12:27 AM

Anybody try using one of these: <invalid link> to put in a larger drive? The oringinal ones that were recommended are very difficult to find, and extremely pricey if you are able to track one down.
post #189 of 232 (permalink) Old 2009-09-06, 11:55 PM

While technically, it could work, I wouldn't bother.
The reason is the interface needs to EXACTLY match the physical spacing of the Seagate IDE interface to connect to the adapter board.

The best bet would be to pop a drive into an enclosure that has a USB output and patch it right onto the mainboard USB connector.

This will allow you to use larger and faster SATA drives.

Depending on just how much space you think you need, there are still Seagate IDE's to be found on ebay. 400's, 500's and an occasional 750 that just slipped by last week from MB.

I just bought a pair of 500GB, but will likely just use a spare Seagate 250 as I really don't need a ton of space, but could appreciate the extra little space and mostly the improved performance and reliability.
post #190 of 232 (permalink) Old 2009-09-07, 03:01 PM

Either of those options "should" work. I bought a USB enclosure and a 1TB sata drive - all I did was cut the end off a USB cord and connect it to an old connector salvaged from a desktop power supply. Plug that into the motherboard and you are good to go-almost. You do need to reverse the data- and data+ colors from a standard USB motherboard connector (wht and grn wires) - or just follow the wiring from the existing IDE adapter that is installed in the unit.

The other problem that I experienced was that the thing would be unstable and reboot until I used 12V from the PVR motherboard to power the SATA adapter, it didn't seem to like external power. It's not too much of a hassle if you have a meter and a SATA adapter that originally takes 12VDC - just cut the power cord for the adapter and then connect up to 12V on the connector that went to the old IDE adapter.
post #191 of 232 (permalink) Old 2010-04-20, 04:10 PM

530's external USB ports

Shame this thread seems to have gone silent.

I am awaiting my first 530, after dumping BEV. Since my 9241 had an external drive, I am used to having a lot of space. This thread provides promise I will be able to achieve this.

My question is, there appear to be 2 external USB ports on the back of the 530. I have seen mentioned in this thread that a USB fan(s) were connected, and those ports appeared to supply power. They don't appear to serve any other purpose.

Why couldn't I take the header end of one of those USB ports and connect it to the 530's USB HD USB connection on the mobo? This should then supply a direct USB connection, without soldering, to the outside of the case where I can then plug in an external USB->SATA drive holder.

I plan to try this when the unit arrives, with a 2TB drive.

Anyone else tried this?
post #192 of 232 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 02:44 PM

I recall some poster, maybe ARR had suggested taping into the rear USB ports so as to have a nice interface.
They are active with power only, so you should be able to splice in the data lines with a little copper cutting and soldering.

Let us know how the 2TB works out.
I think the last reported large drive was 750GB or maybe 1 TB.

Should work in theory.
Good luck and post some pictures if possible,

This is a great thread.
post #193 of 232 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 08:13 PM

My goal was to try and add my 2TB drive without harming the existing system. I thought I might find header connectors for those 2 USB ports on the back, and simply replace one. That's not the case, they are directly connected to the mobo, so I left them alone.

I received the unit today, and dish installation isn't scheduled until next Tuesday.

Then I:
  • disconnected the existing USB drive connector and the power connector from the mobo. I left everything else intact (e.g. drive, IDE/USB pcb, heat sinks, fan) and left the cables just lying inside the case
  • cut a 4-pin floppy power connector from an spare power supply cable
  • cut the "standard" USB end (wide, flat, rectangular) from a spare USB cable that will plug into my Thermaltake BlacX USB drive holder (external, any SATA drive can be hot swapped by simply standing it in the slot of the powered base)
  • passed the cut USB cable through the small hole in the back plate of the 530
  • twisted the wires together (crossing green and red) and taped them up temporarily
  • plugged the (now) 4-pin USB connector to the mobo
  • powered the unit and then the drive
The LED display on the 530 shows 299 and a red light where the dish symbol is, but I don't get anything going to the TV. I thought I might see some diagnostic messages, but I don't.

FWIW, the same things happen with the original drive connected, so it isn't something I've done (which was another reason to make my mods without harming anything that came with the 530.)

Is there any magic I can try at this point, or must I wait for the dish to be installed on the roof before it will go any further?
post #194 of 232 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 08:46 PM
Veteran

Red light just means no satellite signal. Let us know what happens when your dish is connected.
post #195 of 232 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 09:11 PM

BTW, do I want to enable PUIS (Power-Up Into Standby)? My drive is a Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB SATA drive w/32MB cache.

From Western Digital's site:

Note: Power management allows the drive to be powered-up into the Standby power management state to minimize inrush current at power-up and to allow the host to sequence the spin-up of devices.

All Western Digital Serial ATA hard drives come with PM2 (power management) disabled. This setting should be used for desktop/workstation computers. If you are using the drive in a RAID/enterprise environment, and wish to enable power management on the drive (controlled spinup via spinup command per ATA standard), place a jumper shunt on pins 3 and 4.

If it makes a difference, remember my drive's power is external and not driven by the 530. I read some reports of this causing problems, but my inclination is that some people have their external drives go into Standby, and the 530 doesn't know how to wake them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in