Help! 530 signal problems - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2007-09-16, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Help! 530 signal problems

This problem has been ongoing for awhile and we have tried everything we can think of to fix it. In the early morning and late evening we get the message that it is trying to acquire the signal and the light on the 530 turns red instead of green. Recordings still record and we can usually watch something on the DVR when this happens, but we cannot watch a live channel.

Sometimes the signal will come back and sometimes the only way to get it back is to unplug the receiver (which I know you shouldn't do on the 530 cause it might not come back on) Unplugging the signal cables sometimes works but not always.

We know the problem isn't the receiver because that was replaced about 6 weeks ago from the light cycling problem and the new one does it as well as the old one.

We figured it was a cable so switched all cables and it still happens. When we switch the two cables around the recordings don't always work. So there is definitely a problem with the cable or connections somewhere. Am now wondering if it could be the LNB. Any ideas anyone? And why would unplugging the receiver make it work again if it is a cable or even the LNB?

We are in an open area with no mountains or trees in the way.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2007-09-16, 07:35 PM

Could be the LNB. If your 530 is the only reciever you have, unplugging it also does a Multiswitch reset, disconnecting all power from your LNB. That could be what is fixing the issue sometimes. I'd personally go the route of a service call. But thats just me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2007-09-16, 10:58 PM
Veteran

What are your signal levels like? in the 70s to 90s? If they are in the 30s and low 60s then the dish is out of alignment.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2007-09-17, 01:04 AM

I had a similar problem with an intermittent signal. Mine was on the second antenna input (used for recording) which made it harder to diagnose. It would fail a few times a day.

It turned out to be an intermittent output on one of the LNB ports. Eventually it failed outright.

The fix was to move the antenna lead to one of the unused LNB ports. No problems thereafter, but now I have a 3 port LNB.

Move the antenna 1 lead to another LNB port and see if that clears it up. Good luck!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2007-09-17, 07:18 AM

Thumbs up

I had the same problem last week. Finally it was the LNB+ the antenna needed alignment.They replaced the LNB and realigned the dish everything is fine now.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2007-09-17, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone

GaryE. Signals are in 70's and 80's so that's not the problem. I guess I will call Starchoice this morning and ask for a service call. Sounds like it could be the LNB. Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in