DSR305 overriding DSR505? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-07-13, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

DSR305 overriding DSR505?

I've got both a DSR305 and a DSR505 that are hooked up to a splitter going out to my dish. I realize that I cannot watch a HD channel on my 505 and watch regular TV on my 305 at the same time. My problem is that when I change to a HD channel with the 505, it does not switch over to the HD lnb (I have a dual stacked setup). The 305 still stays on its channel (regular). If I change to the HD channel with the 305, the 505 picks up the HD signal now. Its like the 305 tone overrides the 505 tone when switching between the two LNB's. Has anyone ever dealt with something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-07-13, 09:33 PM

You cannot have a splitter to get dual sat operation.
There should be a multiswitch at the dish or somewhere that will allow proper sat selection for each receiver. It is an electronic switch that allows dual sat reception. The new quad lnb has the multiswitch built into the lnb with 4 inputs. Your system requires an exterior inline mulitswitch that has 2 inputs and 2 outputs.
Call Starchoice and get a free service call and get it fixed the installer will put in the quad lnb and hook you up proper.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-07-13, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

I do have a 2X2 multiswitch. I have one output from the multiswitch going to a 505 that I have downstairs (no splitter). The other output goes to a splitter, feeding the 305 and the 505. Its just strange that the 305 seems to control which LNB is being used, and the 505 is just the slave to it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-07-13, 10:32 PM
Veteran

I got given a 2 X 4 Eagle Aspen switch to keep the three 505's on a separate line for that very reason. Having a stacked dish, I only use a splitter on the 4th line running a 401 and a 405.
Call *C and arrange a service call and the tech will probably give you the 2 X 4 switch. Of course you'll have to run another line or two.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-07-13, 11:15 PM

I dont know the specifics doesn't it make sense that the tone or voltage is either there or it isn't. If one of them says its there then its there.

You could put your 305 on a powerbar to truely switch it off.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-07-15, 12:19 PM
Veteran

At minimum, split the A line to the switch and the 305. (I did that, before my current splitter/switch setup).

The no tone on the 305 is overriding the tone from the 505.

You could also try a DC block for the 305.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-07-15, 01:43 PM
ARR

What??

Wouldn't it be the other way around? The TONE would override the NO TONE.
No Tone has no physical presence to cause any effect, while a tone has some physics behind it and can cause an effect.

A DC Block on the 305 would cause it to receive whatever polarity is selected by the master receiver, since it could NOT send ANY voltage to the LNB.

At least in a power passing splitter, you stand a chance of getting the 18V Horizontal selection voltage through, but like above if the other unit is sending 18V, the 305 sending 13V isn't going to override it.

Since the other receiver is sending a LNB voltage, even in standby, to receive guide and updates, you would at least want to leave it on a VERTICAL 13V channel, so that the 305 could toggle to 18V.

Of course the CORRECT solution is to do it properly with additional lines and proper multiswitches if needed.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-07-16, 10:12 AM
Veteran

The tone is no more than modulating the 13/18V signal. Applying the tone-less 18V signal will override the tone.

The other receiver would be powering the LNB. Since the system is apparently stacked (2x2 switch, what I have on my dual stacked dish), 18V is always sent.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2007-07-16, 06:17 PM
ARR

Interesting hypothesis

I suppose , I would have thought that there would be some high pass filter to section off the tone and direct that to the SWITCH and pass the DC through to the LNB or switch for polarity selection.

I always thought it was 13 V sent in a stacked system??

Anyways, the solution is to do it right, no splitters!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in