poor reception quality - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-06-15, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

poor reception quality

For the last 4 or 5 days I have been getting very blocky pixelated images on both SD and HD. I have never had poor quality on the HD Channels, even in snow storms, usually just SD in bad weather. I checked my system status and noticed a very high trip count, maybe 30 and decided to do a power button hold and reset for the 505. It cleared the problem immediately. I had thought that maybe the trees were interfering with the signal, or clouds, etc.. But, last night was a picture perfect calm night and was impossible to get a clear signal for any longer than 30 seconds. SO the reset seemed to give me back a good pic. Maybe, some code dribble down needed to be rebooted???? Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-06-15, 11:43 AM
Veteran

No, I haven't experienced it. A trip count of 30 does seem high. It's possible that their sending little bits of code to prepare for the big update scheduled for July.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-06-15, 05:30 PM
ARR

NO SUCH THING!

Sprry fellas, there is no such thing a dribble code or partial downloads.
It a MAJOR deal to download code as I've indicated in the past.

Nor is it possible to 'sneak' some new code into the unit when we aren't looking either.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-06-15, 06:08 PM

I too have experienced poor signal strength for HD channels (around 40 under "tune satellite"). The hd picture has been breaking up at random for the last few days. For SD the meter is around 70 and the picture is fine.

Could trees still be the problem with fine sd reception?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-06-15, 07:25 PM
ARR

Yes of course, since SD is on Anik F1 while the HD is on F2, a different satellite several degrees away and while 1 sat may be blocked by trees, the other is not.

Happens frequently as a matter of fact.

With a signal in the 40's, the breakup you describe is to be expected.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-06-19, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

So if they don't send little bits, why would a reboot clear my crappy signal? ARR, I know you are "the guy" so that is why I asked the question. It was really weird, as like I said, I never get a bad HD signal..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-06-20, 12:59 AM
Veteran

Think of it like rebooting your computer when "something weird" happens (program lockups, weird error messages, etc.) These receivers are simply a computer designed for a specific purpose (tuning in satellite signals), so random glitches like that can easily happen.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-06-20, 03:02 AM
ARR

Thumbs up Pretty much what BGY11 said!

The Broadcom video processor drivers can be a little tricky and if the code gets them out of sync, all hell can break loose in there.

Same for the tuner, the signals can be within a range and may wander off a bit and begin to loose tracking.

The reboot just gives it a fresh start from a known point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in