75R dish and 60E dual-quad - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 2007-05-14, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

I've been asked to provide before and after readings of my 60E lnb and my 75E lnb.
Would it be relevent to include eB/No numbers on horizontal and vertical channels on each satellite?
(if so, what are the VC numbers I'd use)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2007-05-16, 10:59 AM

You want to give them the signal strenght on 299, the the EBnos on 260 (F2 H), 299 (F1V), 300 (F1H) and 701 (F2V).
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2007-05-23, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

here's a picture of the correct lnb - it arrived today.
(note the correct 75E notation on the nameplate)

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2007-05-27, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

I installed the new lnb this AM:

noted these eB/No numbers, 60E lnb as it was installed on 75E dish, the 75E lnb on 75E dish after peaking,

VC#--------- 60E - 75E
260 F2(h) = +9.3 +10.7
701 F2(v) = +8.9 +10.5
299 F1(v) = +5.3 +10.6
300 F1(H) = +5.5 +10.2

Seems to make a a significant difference...
Where I had a signal strength on VC 299 being 50 prior to changing the lnb, it's a strong 92 with the correct lnb.

The readings indicate that the dish was likely originaly peaked for good readings on F2 (I asked for good HD performance, so that's what I got).

Last edited by Bent; 2007-05-27 at 03:18 PM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-10-19, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

... ....
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-10-20, 06:39 PM

matching lnb to dish

most lnb's are made for the dish they mount on. it's not just because of the different focus position though. each lnb will have a specific "pickup angle" let's say 80 degrees. if you mount this on the correct dish it will "see" nothing but dish in front of it. if you put an lnb in the same spot with a wider pickup angle, it would be seeing past the dish to the wall or the ground behind it which radiates a lot of background noise. you want the signal to be only coming from the dish which is pointed at cold empty space. ( and the satellite ). if you put on an lnb with a smaller pickup angle it would be seeing only the center portion of the dish and so you would get the signal you might expect from a smaller dish. the old round dishes had a plastic mount for the lnb to slide forward or back and get the distance to the dish perfect. the new elliptical dishes have to keep the lnb in 1 fixed position because you have signals hitting the dish from 2 different angles. if you were to slide the lnb forward or back you might still have 1 lnb catching the signal from the correct angle for the main satellite but not the second satellite. so the 75e lnb has to made for the 75e dish. put a 60e on it and you wind up with a lower ebno due to background noise from behind the dish or a lower signal strength due to the lnb not being able to see the whole dish, or the signal coming in from the 2nd satellite is hitting the side of the feedhorn instead of being directed down it's throat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in