Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 72 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1066 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-01, 07:28 PM

lowwgy: Here is a quick history lesson that hopefully will help you understand the problem.

Historically, Shaw Direct (SD) used two satellites (F1R and F2). F1 had mostly standard definition English channels along with a few High Definition (HD) channels such as CTV Toronto and Sportsnet East; F2 had the majority of the HD channels and the French Channels; both satellites used Ku band frequencies. Because of limited capacity, they needed to launch a third satellite (G1). In order to make things easy for subscribers, G1 was in the same orbit as F1R, so subscribers didn't need to install a new dish. However because SD needed to use extended Ku band (xkU) frequencies for the new satellite, subscribers needed to swap in a new LNB onto their dishes. The new G1 satellite allowed SD to vastly increase their HD offerings, including HD locals across the county (not just Toronto in English and Montreal in French). The footprint of G1 doesn't extend very far beyond the 49th parallel, so snowbirds ran into challenges. Initially, many balked at installing new LNBs at home for fear of losing their programming down south. But as the channel offerings on G1 increased, more people were having the new LNBs installed at home. Except every fall, they would run into problems. But since SD did away with the Home away from Home program, the subscribers were left install the new LNBs at the winter location, despite not being able to receive all the channels.

Anyway, I would trust the judgement of the people who have already chimed in. These guys really know what they are talking about. If you still aren't sure, you can look at the label on your LNB. If it hasn't been sun-bleached, it will probably say Ku LNBF.

Experts, fell free to make any corrections to my history.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1067 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-01, 11:52 PM

Lowggy,

Moving to the triple xKu LNB will give you the missing channels from the F1 bird that you normally get in Canada, but not the G1 channels as that bird is not visible as far south as you are. Right now all you receive is the channels off the F2 bird.

Shaw Direct (SD) "marries" a receiver to a certain LNB inside the data stream, and that's why you are missing the F1 channels. If you call SD, they can reset this stream to accommodate the "old" LNB, if they don't twig to what's going on, which is unlikely. (They officially cannot support users outside of Canada and will not assist you if they find out you are trying to receive signals in the USA.)

Of course even if you get the data stream changed now, when you return home and reconnect to the triple xKu LNB on that dish, you will be all messed up again. Like I said before: "The simplest solution is you need to get an xKu LNB sent to you there."

If you are lucky, check out the local Craigslist, you may find a Snowbird who is selling one nearby.

Regards,
Jim
post #1068 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-02, 10:59 AM

I would recommend he try to get Shaw to change his system to the old LNB map. When Shaw simsubs a signal that is on G1 over a signal on either F1R or F2 he will not receive the program and all he will see is a blank screen. All his western US HD Nets will get simsubbed with Canadian channels that are more then likely on G1. All I would tell them (Shaw) is that he put an old LNB as he thought the new one was acting up. Tell them is simply problem solving. He can leave the final decision on what to do when he gets back in the spring.

He could try to tell them that this receiver is in his detached garage and too far from the original dish so he put a second one to shorten the cable run. A sympathetic agent may allow one receiver to have the old map and the one in Canada to have the new map.

LONSat

post #1069 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-02, 03:12 PM

LONSat is right. I wouldn't change out my old LNB's. Plus I think you might loose some channels when your down south with the new LNB that would still be on the old.

Last edited by 57; 2016-11-02 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #1070 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-02, 04:32 PM

Lowggy & everyone else,

There is a Command that can be typed into the receiver, using the remote, that will change the receiver mapping from Triple xKu to Dual Quad.

I learned this from a Shaw Tech last year.

Unfortunately, the instructions are at home and I will not be home til Thursday morning.

If you can wit til then, I will give you the instructions tomorrow.

Also, check the LNB on your Florida dish. Look at the label on the front of it.

Does it say Dual Satellite Quad LNB or Triple Satellite Quad Output Switchable xKu ?

If you have the Dual Quad LNBF, my instructions will reprogram your receiver to accept the old Dual Quad LNB.

When you return to Canada, you will have to reprogram it for the Triple xKu LNB using the same instructions.

When I post it, maybe it can become a STICKY?
Jimsathome likes this.
post #1071 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-02, 08:08 PM

Ok I can wait but again I will recap the situation.
I purchased two receivers for my home in Canada. They were delivered by the savvy tech I talk about and all I did was plug one in upstairs to a tv and one down stairs to a tv and both worked fine, all the channels except of course the ones from the G1 satellite which I did not care about.
I came down to Florida and connected the new receiver to my dish and I am missing several channels. I have been trying to upload a photo I took with my iPad to this site to show the status from options but it will not work so I am going to type them all in here. I keep hearing that I am missing the F1 signals but I think it is the other way.
Thanks to everyone who is trying to help me get this resolved.

A Unit I'd 000-04904-88152-011
B Auth. Status (tuner 1) subscribed
C signal level (tuner 1) (256) 79, economic:4.4db
D Auth status (tuner 2) unavailable
E signal level (tuner 2) (0):76,economic:3.8db
F map status. Exists, 768-4321
G trip count 1
H Current firmware v....50.25
post #1072 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-02, 11:22 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowggy View Post
I have been trying to upload a photo I took with my iPad to this site to show the status from options but it will not work
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/52-d...tal-forum.html

Unfortunately, you have not been a member long enough, but as stated in the post:

Quote:
It's also possible to upload your picture to any photo sharing website and simply copy/paste that URL into your post. Remember to keep the size of the photo down to a reasonable size to avoid bandwidth issues and to respect those using phones or tablets.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #1073 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-03, 12:23 AM

Dont need a photo of the Florida dish or LNB.

Can you read the label and tell us what is says?
post #1074 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-03, 04:46 AM
Veteran

Some info not right here because I have the new triple XKU and my map status us 769-4321, so if 4321 is the mapping for that then you would have the triple at home and are mapped for that.
By the way 256 which you refer to is F2, so I think what you have been told all along is probable. You have a triple at home and a dual in Florida. You are mapped to a triple but I don't know why then you would have not got the channels at home.
As stated the label would explain it all, on the lnb

PS if you go to that status again and hit the red(as indicated) it will show whether the channel you are on is F1/G1/F2 just to convince yourself you are getting f2's
PPS I have the triple and do not have the sim subbing problem referred to so far...over 2 weeks and previous years.
post #1075 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-03, 06:27 AM

Some confusion here again. I DO get all the channels at home, Canada, and I am 99% sure I do NOT have a triple Xku LNB at home.
It is here in Florida that I am missing channels. Gary said from the map startups that I had a dual but you say you have a triode xku with the same code!!!
I will check the LNB up close.
ALL the channels that I am not getting are on F2, is that correct?
post #1076 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-03, 11:44 AM

Here is the method for switching your receiver to accept the Dual Quad or the Triple xKu LNB.

Using the remote control,

Press OPTIONS, 1, 1, 2, 2

Select X4C (4321) for the Triple xKu LNB

Select Q4C (4320) for the Dual Quad LNB

Lowggy, try this method to change your receiver to Q4C (4320) and see what happens.

If you have the Dual Quad in Florida, this should correct the problem.
frenchophile, Jimsathome and gzink like this.
post #1077 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-03, 11:59 AM

46FD04,

Thanks for this. I'm certain I'll be checking this out sometime.

Regards,
Jim
post #1078 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-03, 12:11 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Link to post 1076 added to post 1 of this thread. I will also add the link to installations threads as I find them.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #1079 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-03, 01:37 PM

46, Is that method permanent? I read some where that it's just a temporary fix. I think when you get a hit from SD it will switch back.
post #1080 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2016-11-03, 02:03 PM
Veteran

Hey Mr. 57... this is a bit off topic but deals with this particular thread.
The last post for me says "post #1079 of 1090" and below that it says "Page 72 of 73" but when I click on page 73 it just comes back to page 72.
What's up with this phantom page? It just seems to be this thread. It's annoying.
RuralRouter likes this.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!

Tags
mexico , reception , television viewing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in