Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 113 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 154Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1681 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-01, 07:17 PM

@AaronAnderson Welcome to the board. Where is home for you in Canada? That would affect channel availability down south as some locals are on F1, others are on G1. It may also explain why you got CBC and not CTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-01, 09:15 PM

gzinc is correct on both counts - look at the G1 footprint online (google for it), and a 75cm dish will help about 15-20% of signal strength as far south as Az. However, you do not need a new LNB unless you want all the G1 channels in Canada.
post #1683 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-01, 09:27 PM
Rookie

I am from Kenora, ON but I get the Shaw Direct Winnipeg channels so I get the Blue Bombers and Jets games. SD I would get all the locals CBC, CTV, Global.

Now with this changeover I only get 1 HD local and that is CBC. I am trying to get CTV Winnipeg.

I checked the map and CTV Winnipeg is on G1. CBC is on F1/F2 which is why I get it. Do you think if I changed dishes from 60e to 75 with updated LNB I would get the G1's?

post #1684 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-01, 09:28 PM
Rookie

I do not understand why Shaw Direct would want to do this to their customers. They will lose lots of subscribers just to prove a point we are taking our canadian dish to the usa and that its morally wrong. Seems fishy. maybe somebody can explain it why they are doing this.
post #1685 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-02, 02:00 AM
Veteran

Darn tablet I have to re enter....
Shaw has had to make choices. Some programming has to be on g1.
A 75 will not give you g1!!!!
Again g1 is limited because the band is used in the USA and cannot be broadcast from what I understand. It must be limited.
We can't expect to get it all in the US. In fact in the Okanagan we don't get what we want now from Shaw Direct. Fact of life.
PS..I think they are guessing that less Winnipeggers go south than BC'ers and others. They have to juggle and find a balance. It's not legal to get the broadcasts in the US so we should be thankful anything is available.
post #1686 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 12:54 AM

Hello Aaron you have NEVER gotten G1 chans in AZ, I guess you just didn't notice b'cuz the chans you wanted used to be on F1/F2. G1 has been there for years, its newer and the F sats will die eventually. The list that Lonsat made with the red lines will tell you what you can get in AZ. The only channel from Winipeg is CBC.

Also HD channels need a stronger signal so if there is anything you are subscribed to that is not crossed off on Lonsat's list but you can't get it, check the signal strength maybe its too weak. I'm surprised you are getting much with a 60 dish; we are in north/central Calif. and we have a 75 dish.

I know you are upset at losing your stations but Shaw can't put everything on F1/F2 and actually I think they've been pretty nice about making sure that ppl who don't get G1 can still use Shaw. Also K8 has been very helpful in this forum.
QCK likes this.
post #1687 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayguy View Post
Hello Aaron you have NEVER gotten G1 chans in AZ, I guess you just didn't notice b'cuz the chans you wanted used to be on F1/F2. G1 has been there for years, its newer and the F sats will die eventually. The list that Lonsat made with the red lines will tell you what you can get in AZ. The only channel from Winipeg is CBC.

Also HD channels need a stronger signal so if there is anything you are subscribed to that is not crossed off on Lonsat's list but you can't get it, check the signal strength maybe its too weak. I'm surprised you are getting much with a 60 dish; we are in north/central Calif. and we have a 75 dish.

I know you are upset at losing your stations but Shaw can't put everything on F1/F2 and actually I think they've been pretty nice about making sure that ppl who don't get G1 can still use Shaw. Also K8 has been very helpful in this forum.
Don't get me wrong, we are very happy for what we get as snowbirds. However a couple of things are puzzling.

When looking at the final MPEG2 changeover process, both F1 and F2 look practically empty so I'm not sure about Shaw not being able to put everything on those birds.

The other thing we can't figure out is how does Shaw decide what channels go on what bird. Speaking from the French side of the fence, it's unfortunate that a big proportion of French channels are on G1. What is also strange is there seem to be several "less popular" channels on the F birds instead of more mainstream ones.
post #1688 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 09:28 AM
Veteran

@goalsgo F1R and F2 are older decreasing the transponder load on them will extend their life.

LONSat
post #1689 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 09:35 AM

@goalsgo - which "less popular" channels are you referring to (just curious)? We looked at subscriber and viewership data, and tried to make at least one local channel from major cities available on the F satellites. But, we'll unfortunately never make everyone happy!
Bayguy likes this.
post #1690 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k801809 View Post
@goalsgo - which "less popular" channels are you referring to (just curious)? We looked at subscriber and viewership data, and tried to make at least one local channel from major cities available on the F satellites. But, we'll unfortunately never make everyone happy!
Thank you so much for your response and I fully agree with you it's not possible to please everyone. But perhaps we could meet halfway?

To be clear, I am not complaining but rather just pointing out there seems to be an imbalance in the number of French channels located on the F satellites for Quebec based subs.

Looking at the major English networks we have:

Global: with 9 channels out of 16 total feeds or 56%
CTV: with 7 out of 22 or 32%
CTV2 : with 6 out of 9 or 67%
CBC: with 7 out of 15 or 47%

The total comes out to: 29 out of 62 or 47%

For the major French networks we have:

ICI tele: with 1 out of 13 or 8%
TVA: with 2 out of 10 or 20%
V: with 1 out of 8 or 12%

Total comes out to: 13% versus 47%.

Based on these numbers, I'd like to think most Quebec subs would not mind trading a few of the above English network duplicates for some French channels.

My wish would be: ICI Explora (779), Tele Quebec (735), TFO (729) and TV5 (737).

For Quebec subs, it would also be nice to have the Montreal feeds for CBC (122), CTV (123) and City (124) in addition to what is already available.

So there you go: trading 7 English network duplicates for 4 French channels and 3 English ones.

Maybe for Christmas?

Thanks again for participating in our Forum.
post #1691 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONSat View Post
@goalsgo F1R and F2 are older decreasing the transponder load on them will extend their life.
Very true. I guess I just find it a bit of a stretch to think that a few additional channels (maybe 5 to 10) would have any kind of significant impact on the life of the birds.
post #1692 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 07:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsgo View Post
Thank you so much for your response and I fully agree with you it's not possible to please everyone. But perhaps we could meet halfway?

To be clear, I am not complaining but rather just pointing out there seems to be an imbalance in the number of French channels located on the F satellites for Quebec based subs.

Looking at the major English networks we have:

Global: with 9 channels out of 16 total feeds or 56%
CTV: with 7 out of 22 or 32%
CTV2 : with 6 out of 9 or 67%
CBC: with 7 out of 15 or 47%

The total comes out to: 29 out of 62 or 47%

I don't think CTV2 is a major network is it??? That kind of skews the stats.

For the major French networks we have:

ICI tele: with 1 out of 13 or 8%
TVA: with 2 out of 10 or 20%
V: with 1 out of 8 or 12%

Total comes out to: 13% versus 47%.

Based on these numbers, I'd like to think most Quebec subs would not mind trading a few of the above English network duplicates for some French channels.

My wish would be: ICI Explora (779), Tele Quebec (735), TFO (729) and TV5 (737).

For Quebec subs, it would also be nice to have the Montreal feeds for CBC (122), CTV (123) and City (124) in addition to what is already available.

So there you go: trading 7 English network duplicates for 4 French channels and 3 English ones.

Maybe for Christmas?

Thanks again for participating in our Forum.
I think this might make sense but I am not intending to insult anyone.
I just read that 21% of Canadians speak French as their main language.

13% versus 47% 13/47 is about 25% or 13/60 is just over 20%. Not knowing the actually customer base stats this ratio almost seems to make sense.

Not sure CTV2 is a major network is it??? If it is not then the stats are skewed a bit.
post #1693 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 08:25 PM
Rookie

Hi, Interesting that the 60LNB worked fine on your 75 dish. Where are you located. I'm in SoCal. Thanks.
post #1694 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzink View Post
I think this might make sense but I am not intending to insult anyone.
I just read that 21% of Canadians speak French as their main language.

13% versus 47% 13/47 is about 25% or 13/60 is just over 20%. Not knowing the actually customer base stats this ratio almost seems to make sense.

Not sure CTV2 is a major network is it??? If it is not then the stats are skewed a bit.
@gzink your numbers are correct when taken for Canada as a whole. However my point was to focus only on residents of the Province of Quebec. In that case, it’s not 21% but more like 80% French.
post #1695 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 10:09 PM

Aren't most (i know not all) of the ppl who speak French in the east? But ppl who speak English are all across Canada in lots more cities so wouldn't it make sense to have more cities channels with English?

Tags
mexico , reception , television viewing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in