Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 109 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1621 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-02, 06:18 PM
Rookie

I have a mobile home in Florida and also a home here in Ontario. I have a 75 cm dish on both premises. Both have the old LNB.... or whatever it is called. I am losing more and more channels here in Ontario. Can I get the new upgraded LNB on my home here in Ontario but not on the Florida........ will Florida get any tv reception after Sep 23 on the old LNB. I take my 630 pvr back and forth...... it has worked wonderful up to now. Are you confused? because I sure am........ thanks old or older lady...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-02, 08:06 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboxlady View Post
..I am losing more and more channels here in Ontario.
You shouldn't be losing any channels in Ontario if you have the appropriate equipment. See the last few pages of the following thread discussing what's happening with the channels and satellites.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...thread-64.html

Someone with more knowledge regarding this and "down south" should be along shortly to provide additional information, but in the meantime, check out the last few pages of link above.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #1623 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-02, 11:35 PM

It sounds like you've never set yourself up for HD, because the majority of channels "disappearing" are simply being dropped as Standard Definition, but were already on HiDef channels.

You definitely need the newer LNB to get the 3rd bird in Ontario; that's where some of those channels are going. Surprised they haven't forced one on you yet with constant emails, phone calls, and OnScreenGuide messages. I had to tell them to lay off. You get one for the Ontario location, not Florida (because it won't work there).

... Mike

Last edited by MikeDRiley; 2019-09-03 at 09:16 AM.

post #1624 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-03, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboxlady View Post
I have a mobile home in Florida and also a home here in Ontario. I have a 75 cm dish on both premises. Both have the old LNB.... or whatever it is called. I am losing more and more channels here in Ontario. Can I get the new upgraded LNB on my home here in Ontario but not on the Florida........ will Florida get any tv reception after Sep 23 on the old LNB. I take my 630 pvr back and forth...... it has worked wonderful up to now. Are you confused? because I sure am........ thanks old or older lady...
Hi Shoeboxlady,

What you need is the latest LNB (A SHAW75E-G1). It's the "thing" the dish bounces the signal into, and the cables connect to on the dish assembly that run to your receiver. Call Shaw Direct and advised them you've still got the old Quad LNB and are losing channels, and need a Xku LNB to get the G1 Satellite. The Dish receives signals in Canada from 3 Satellites F1R, G1 and F2. About 50 miles or so below the US /Canada border in Ontario the signal from the G1 Satelitte fades, as it was deliberately set to do so as their were complaints Snowbirds were receiving Canadian TV in the USA. Shaw Direct has been moving a lot of channels off F1R and onto G1 to show they are making an effort to correct this. You can't get anything off G1 in Florida, but you can still get what's on F1R and F2 Satellite.

Shaw Direct will send a technician with the SHAW75E-G1 Xku LNB and install it if you are in a coverage area in Ontario => and not too remote. Shaw Direct has been migrating a lot of their Standard definition Channels to only High Definition and moving a lot of the channel numbers to G1 and F2 Satellites when they do this - dropping them off F1R.

You will need to buy a SHAW75E-G1 Xku LNB from Craigslist, Kijiji, eBay, or an independent installer and take it with you (and your 630) when you go to Florida. A 7/16 inch wrench is needed to remove /install the Cables, and a large Phillips Scree Driver is all that's needed to remove and reinstall the LNBs once the Cables have been removed. If you can handle it great, but maybe someone in Florida can assist. It's an easy swap. You will lose about half of what's available (depending on what channels you have), but for some - a bit of Canadian TV is better than a whole lot of US TV . (Especially with their political theater dominating it every night.)

(PS => I think MikeDRiley misspoke when he said "You definitely need the newer LNB to get the 3rd dish in Ontario". I think he meant to say "You definitely need the newer LNB to get the 3rd Satellite in Ontario" )
MikeDRiley, gzink and RuralRouter like this.

Regards,
Jim
post #1625 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-03, 03:30 PM

Maybe an alternate solution for those "Southern Canadians" is to use an Amazon Fire Stick, Shaw FreeRange and an OpenVPN connection back to Canada. I did that from France last week and it worked OK.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #1626 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-03, 06:47 PM
Rookie

Thanks so much for your help. Some confusion here MikeDRiley says the new LNB will not work in Florida but Jimsathome tells me to get one from Kiiji, etc and take it down with me. I do have a satellite guy in Florida who is somewhat familiar with Shaw Direct. He has pointed my dish a couple of times now for me. I do agree that some Canadian TV is better than US TV......does this mean that if I stay with the old LNB in Florida, I will not get anything or not much..... Thanks
post #1627 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-03, 06:51 PM
Rookie

Oh, and yes, Shaw Direct has been bugging me to get the new LNB........e mails, phone calls, etc.... but I have held them off so far...., but guess I need to get it now....
post #1628 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-03, 08:55 PM

If you get the new LNB you will get all the channels you subscribe to in Ontario. In Florida it will work but you won't be to get all the channels you will only be able to receive any of the following channels:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/3088525-post1595.html

This edited list is based on the final outcome, some changes yet to be made. Anything crossed out in red won't be available in Florida. You may have to be careful of recordings to make sure they do not try to select an unavailable channel. You can edit any timers to make sure the selected channel is one you can receive.

LONSat
post #1629 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-03, 09:23 PM
Rookie

Thank you so much...... you are truly a gentleman......although there are many crossed out in red.... there are still lots and lots available......all of the networks and many of the specialty channels. So much better than having to watch US TV with their political #@[email protected]#.
Thanks again. Will call Shaw tomorrow to get an appointment to get the new LNB installed.
frenchophile and gzink like this.
post #1630 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-03, 09:26 PM

I don't watch the French channels but most of the Canadians in our Florida RV park are Francophone. Seems to me that Shaw Direct has hit the southern French channels a lot harder than English. No joke: an American who found out I'm Canadian asked me "Where'd you learn to speak English so good(sic)".
frenchophile and gzink like this.
post #1631 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-03, 11:07 PM
Rookie

Just a quick question.....
I have a HDD PVR630 and 4 HDDSR6OO's and if one goes to the Guide to channel 988 with the PVR I get "no action required" and same with one other HDDDSR600 but the other 3 HDDSR600's give me "Please call us regarding your account" all receivers have version V56.05 and I refreshed all of them several times, any ideas what's up before I call Shaw?...don't want to stir anything up if no need.....thanks!
post #1632 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-04, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJoe View Post
I don't watch the French channels but most of the Canadians in our Florida RV park are Francophone. Seems to me that Shaw Direct has hit the southern French channels a lot harder than English.
No kidding about the French channels. It would be interesting to understand what is the rationale for having some stations on the F birds as opposed to the G1 bird. In the case of French stations, I can see why all the "duplicates" (same network - different cities) would be located on G1 but why, for example, is TV5 HD East on G1? Or Tele-Quebec that has only one station and no duplicates?

I guess we need to see this as a glass half-full situation and we are very happy to get what we get, but still ..... a flick of the switch seems so simple from here.

Last edited by 57; 2019-09-04 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Quote Syntax Fixed
post #1633 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-04, 09:32 AM

At the time the HD versions of TV5 and Tele Quebec and many others were launched either the F birds were full or to prolong their life they were no longer activating signals on them. Although they have moved some signals from G1 to an F satellite, Vancouver networks, in the last year and some that will occur later this month they Shaw have had to balance signal moves with need and the disruption it causes cable head ends. Don't forget the signals on the Anik Satellites are controlled by Shaw Broadcast and they are servicing cable companies first and Shaw subscribers are the beneficiary of having the signals up there. The fact they are moving any signals to the F bird is somewhat amazing. Some of the initial plans did not show any of the signals moving to F!R or F2. Anyone "travelling" to the US should be grateful that even this tacit acknowledgement is going on.

LONSat
post #1634 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-04, 11:52 AM

Hello Everyone. This site is awesome and has been invaluable for me for many years now... Thanks to all the contributors.

Now to the problem I'm back in Texas where I have a two 36" dish with a multi switch and still on the old lineup.

The Texas sun being what it is with some help with a few hailstorm and heavy wind, it looks like my F2 LNB is busted since I've lost signal on 262. It's completely eaten out by the sun so I'm not sure the model.

I have a spare LNB I bought sometime ago but not sure if it's the F2 or F1R. It's a Avenger Digital KU-Band Twin LNBF KSC322 (950-2000mhz). Is it the right one is that the F1R? I'd rather know before on get back on my terribly steep and scrary pitched roof....
post #1635 of 1649 (permalink) Old 2019-09-04, 11:54 AM

Clarification, lost signal on channel 261 (RDSHD) 262(RDS2HD) and 265(TVASPHD) which are basically the only 3 channels I ever watch.

Tags
mexico , reception , television viewing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in