Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 102 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1516 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-10, 07:02 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Haven't we already passed a couple of deadlines for catastrophic loss of channels SOTB? I have not missed any channels so far on the old LNB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1517 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-11, 09:17 AM

@kcowan from what @k801809 said on March 7, post 1510, in this thread, that the wording of the current messages about the MPEG4 change over is to prod people to update their equipment. Specifically the LNB, however the older LNB will continue to function and be supported. What will happen starting in April is that some of Std Def channels will drop, in some cases the HD equivalent is on G1. If you have the quad LNB and not the xLNB you will lose access to that channel in either Std Def or HD. Some of the french channels start dropping in April. The biggest phase is in July where there are 22 channels that will only be on G1 when the Std Def version drops from F1R or F2.

Shaw is encouraging customers to change out the LNBs now so they do not get overloaded with requests when the bulk of MPEG4 HD only channel change up happens. The past deadlines impacted receivers, if you had a 5xx HD receiver you would not be able to receive any HD channels right now because all the HD signals are MPEG4. The 5xx cannot decoded MPEG4. The next deadline is for the LNB to be able to receive G1 signals. It sounds like there are still lots of Quad LNBs still out there.
kcowan and k801809 like this.

LONSat
post #1518 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-19, 12:01 PM

In order to save money, I have decided to cancel my Bell TV and phone at my home in Ontario and try to get a deal to keep my Bell internet, mainly for my email contacts. I will be using Magicjack for my phone and ShawDirect Extra Small TV.
But, there is a problem. My SD account is in Ontario, although I have never used it there, I have been using (and paying for) SD in Florida for the past several years, originally as a part of the HAFH deal (which no longer exists).
Do I contact SD and explain what has been happening and ask for a new dish and receiver for my home in Ontario or could I contact a sub contractor in Markham and let them do the installation? I would like to keep my setup in Florida for next winter, but I realize that it might not be possible. I will be returning to Ontario in mid April.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated especially from someone who might be in a similar situation. Thanks..

post #1519 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-19, 12:36 PM

Do not tell SD you are using service in Florida. I assume you are getting letters or notification that equipment needs to updated because of the change to MPEG4. Your service will continue to work in Florida if you have at the least a 6xx receiver. You can leave it as is and deal with SD asking about the dish/LNB or if you do upgrade the LNB you will still get service in Florida but anything that comes from the G1 satellite will show a lost signal message. Depending on your package and needs the update will work for the most part. You may have an occasional simsub that causes issues if the substituted signal comes from G1 for the US networks it shouldn't be an issue.

LONSat
post #1520 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-19, 03:09 PM

I thought I saw a list somewhere but now I can't find it. Is there a list of which channels will be on which satellite once the shuffling is done later this year?
post #1521 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-22, 01:51 AM

I am in Mexico, but my home address is Ottawa. I have stipulated more times than I care to remember to Shaw: DO NOT PHONE. EMAIL ONLY. Yet they continue to phone. My daughter's number is listed, and she is getting tired of Shaw truly harassing her to get the update, via phone.

... Mike
post #1522 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-25, 02:41 PM

You can find it on the Shaw Broadcast site, but I do have a nice excel listing of Quad LNB access today versus post conversions with the Classic channel listings, but I swear I saw a "no external links" rule on here...
post #1523 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-25, 03:17 PM

I'm not a moderator but I'm sure your link would be allowed. The rules read:

"No Commercial posts and links are allowed - Commercial is anything that is not a personal website (i.e./ has a registered domain) or has any types of ads on it. If you are in doubt about what is okay and what is not then contact the moderator of the forum or the administrator prior to posting. Posting links containing affiliate codes will result in the thread being deleted and the immediate banning of the poster."

and

"No selling of products or services - we do not allow selling of any type of product or service in forum threads. This type of posting in threads will be considered spam and the user banned. Companies found spamming our forum multiple times will be blacklisted and added to our spammers list. If you wish to sell or promote a product or service on this site then you are required to pay for advertising. Threads regarding "what is my item worth" fall into a similar category and will be deleted."

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/52-...4-11-03-a.html
post #1524 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-25, 05:13 PM

Hopefully the link will be permitted. Not my sandbox, but I’d like to see it for informational purposes rather than advertising purposes.
post #1525 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-25, 05:36 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Should be no problem if it's information and not advertizing.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #1526 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-25, 06:06 PM

Here you go - https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmvigsnjmu...3-08.xlsx?dl=0

If you're choosing not to upgrade to an xKu LNB at your Canadian service address...this is what the lineup will look like. Feel free to share with your Canadian neighbours (I'd download it though, I probably won't keep it up forever!)
frenchophile and HowardDoin like this.
post #1527 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-25, 06:40 PM

It looks like I will be loosing CTV Calgary (chan 317) Sep 25th. I read some where SD is moving CTV Calgary HD back to F1/F2 later this year. Any new news about the late switches?
post #1528 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-25, 06:57 PM

CTV Calgary didn't make the cut to move - the Calgary feed that's remaining is CBC (converting to HD in the summer, it'll stay on F1). It was tricky to prioritize (plus balance time zones per network), but most (if not all) major city centres got one feed.
post #1529 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-25, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k801809 View Post
Here you go - https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmvigsnjmu...3-08.xlsx?dl=0

If you're choosing not to upgrade to an xKu LNB at your Canadian service address...this is what the lineup will look like. Feel free to share with your Canadian neighbours (I'd download it though, I probably won't keep it up forever!)
Should be lots of transponder space to add TSN and Sportsnet 4K channels afterwards then! 😁
post #1530 of 1648 (permalink) Old 2019-03-25, 07:15 PM

Oh, I lied, @mellaby . CTV Calgary is on there, in HD on channel 16. Sorry about that (I can't keep track of all the locals!). It'll move on September 23rd.

Tags
mexico , reception , television viewing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in