Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 100 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 154Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1486 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-02-15, 05:40 AM
Veteran

I don't understand the above posts. Everything I have looked at showed(to me) that most HD regular channels are going to other than G1 so people south are good for quite awhile! ?????
Look at post 1468 lonsat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1487 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-02-17, 03:39 PM

Ok, this is a long thread that I've been pouring over and it leads me to one question that I'm not still not sure what the correct answer is:

My parents have a dish in Mexico, it currently has the Dual Satellite LNB. They have Shaw Direct service. Is there any advantage or disadvantage for them to install the Triple Satellite LNB? I'm heading down in there a month and I can bring one down with me but I'm not sure there's a good reason to do it or not.

Thank you!
post #1488 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-02-17, 04:17 PM

It won't hurt to bring it down, but read this before you make the change:

I really don't want to change my LNB till I'm forced to. Being in my south location the old LNB works better. The guide only shows the programs from F1/F2 and never misses a recording (even though it could be a US one). My neighbor has the new LNB and he's missing recordings quite often cause the PVR will switch to a G1 channel which shows up as no signal. I've been going thru my smart recordings and changing them to a Canadian channel only (what a pain). Now I'm getting away from all those damn streaming notices on the eastern US channels.

post #1489 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-02-18, 12:40 AM

What is a streaming notice?
post #1490 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-02-18, 12:41 AM

wvenable how would it help to have a 3-sat LNB when they can only get 2 sats?
post #1491 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-02-18, 02:42 AM

yeah, what’s a streaming notice?
post #1492 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-02-18, 04:55 AM
Veteran

Perhaps alert this and alert that on the bottom of the screen!!??
post #1493 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-02-18, 01:19 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Will they turn off all the urgent warnings after Feb 19? It is causing all my friends here in PV to question my calmness/assurances.
post #1494 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-02-18, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzink View Post
Perhaps alert this and alert that on the bottom of the screen!!??
That's right gzink. Those weather and emergency alerts are getting bigger in size and longer duration and more prevalent . It's really starting to affect the shows I'm watching, especially the alerts on the top of the screen. I'm starting to think that Detroit in a constant state of emergency. Forcing the programs to the Canadian slots has really helped.
post #1495 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-03-03, 10:12 AM

I am retired and I live near Toronto. For several years, I have been fortunate enough to be able spend some time during the winter in a Florida mobile home community where I have the Extra Small Shaw Direct TV package. I originally bought the package in Ontario where I think it was called Home Away From Home. I pay for using Shaw Direct while in Florida and I put it on seasonal suspension when I return to Ontario each year. In Ontario, I subscribe to Bell - phone, internet and TV. I am thinking about keeping Bell internet and cancelling my Bell phone and TV and using Shaw full time along with magicjack for the phone.
Here is my dilemma - do I have to bring my receiver and dish back and forth each year or can I ask Shaw for another receiver and dish for my home in Ontario? If I do ask for another dish for Ontario, could Shaw cancel my Florida set-up? I hope that I have explained myself without too much confusion.
Any help with information and advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #1496 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-03-03, 10:54 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
@Leesnurg : Please read the links in post 1 of this thread.

1. By way of clarification, HAFH (Home away from home) is only allowed in Canada and is not to be used in the US.

2. You are not allowed to use Shaw Direct at all in the US (legally). Shaw Direct is not allowed to knowingly "sell" to people located in the US, even if you're Canadian. That's why people discuss all the "workarounds" in this thread.

3. Other people who have posted in this thread should be able to add to the above and perhaps advise you of your best options.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #1497 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-03-03, 10:54 AM

Weather alerts
post #1498 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-03-04, 05:13 AM
Veteran

No longer HAFH, You are allowed to have multiple receivers on an account (6 of them??). And you can get a dish etc installed through local assets. Get an additional receiver from Shaw without mentioning anything else and get it set up in your home. Or get a good used receiver clear to be registered with Shaw.
We used to carry a receiver from our home to our RV ("in Canada") but the dish and lnb are different - just need to be the same new type lnb .
post #1499 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-03-04, 09:38 AM

Thanks gznik for your reply to my message about having Shaw Direct in Florida and in Ontario.
In Ontario, I have a working Bell dish on my house.
Do you know what would happen to that dish if I cancelled my Bell TV account? Would Bell remove it or could it be used for a Shaw Direct connection?
post #1500 of 1859 (permalink) Old 2019-03-04, 11:10 AM
Veteran

@Leesnurg . I doubt Bell would remove the dish. They want it there in case a future occupant might want the service. The dishes for Bell and Shaw Direct are not interchangeable. Different dish dimensions and arm lengths.

LONSat

Tags
mexico , reception , television viewing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in