Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-05-22, 12:46 PM

Yeah. Actually I used a Google voice number to save long distance charges because I was on hold for 30mins. But that number has an area code in San Diego I think. I even mentioned to the first guy that I was using VOIP (can't recall why that came up) and he said the quality was great so I told him it was Google voice. He seemed happy with that.

They asked me the phone number for the account and I gave the number and address for my folks place in Canada, which is the billing address I have been using. Actually they don't even live there anymore so I should update that to a friends house. Anyway it was a non-issue, but I had prepared responses for whatever might have come up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-05-22, 07:38 PM

thanks grantb5 that's good that they didn't ask where you were calling from. Yes we have a CDN phone # on the acct.
post #138 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-06-08, 11:42 AM
JCM

What is going to happen to the Snowbirds

What is going to be available for Canadian Snowbirds to watch this winter when the new satalite is turned on since it is beamed north?

Any ideas?
Thanks.

post #139 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-06-08, 12:25 PM

JCM did you see the answers in the other thread you started "launch of new sattelite"?
post #140 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-06-08, 12:55 PM
JCM

Yes. They were more about the footprint but not about any specifics of what will be available ie. chanels on the old birds etc.
I know that in all probability no one except Shaw really knows but --.
post #141 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-06-09, 09:06 AM
Veteran

What channels will be only on G1 is unknown at this time. It is expected,at least, that many of the locals will be provided in HD, more out of market locals, and some of the specialty channels they could not add due to bandwidth.
post #142 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-06-09, 11:23 AM

Any word on a standalone xKu LNB? I have no more room on my satellite for a the honking beast that Shaw Direct will provide:

Not to mention that the motor can't take to much weight either.
post #143 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-06-09, 03:18 PM

Why don't you just get another 60cm dish?
post #144 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-06-10, 09:25 AM
Veteran

Really, no as there is no need for it in Shaw Direct's model.

Really, IMO, you should get a standalone dish for a fixed dish pay provider such as Shaw, wholly separate from your FTA dish.
post #145 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-06-10, 10:03 AM
Rookie

What can happen to the Snowbirds

heads up to Canadian snowbirds, last year Len Schell satellite dealer/installer in Puerto Vallarta robbed then murdered stabbed 22 times.
RIP Len
post #146 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-06-11, 12:23 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Yes. His Mexican wife is rumoured to have had him hit. He had $5000 cash on hand. Staged to look like a revenge murder. But there are many dealers in PV.
post #147 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-07-05, 03:49 PM
Rookie

I Need Advice on Shaw in USA (GA)

Hello. I am looking into getting Shaw Direct for install in Atlanta, GA. I have done some basic research but things are confusing. I would like to get the real scoop on if I can pull this off. Please help if you can.
First of all, I would like to use 2 DSR 605 recievers. I think the dish I want is the 4 port LNB dish but there is conflicting advice as to whether I can use the standard size 60 or I must get the larger 75 dish. I would obviously rather use the smaller one because of shipping and size but if I need the larger dish, I do not want to order something useless. So which dish size will work in Atlanta GA?
My next question concerns programming. My main desire is to get CITY TV out of Toronto. I would prefer HDTV but will settle for SD if I cannot get it. I see they have a Digital Lite that has the channel but would it be in HD in that package?
My next question concerns billing. I know they require a Canadian address and I can use a relative's address but I am wondering if they offer paperless billing where I can just auto pay or pay on the internet. And will they gripe over a USA based credit card.
My next question is if they will allow self installs. I have been told that Shaw says they MUST visit your residence and MUST install the dish but I see Shaw dishes on RVs all the time and I know they did not install those. So is self install allowed and will they get upset if I call from a USA phone to activate?
My final question is the future. I don't want to lay out for a system that will be rendered useless in the near future. Bell switched satellites and cut off all their USA subscribers. Is Shaw planning on doing likewise?

Last edited by 57; 2012-07-05 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
post #148 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-07-05, 04:29 PM

If you can pull this off, here are the answers I know:

1. go with the 75 cm dish.
2. CITY TV is not available in HD on Shaw Direct until Anik G1 launches
3. The new G1 Satellite set to launch at year's end (or later) will add ~100 HD channels, but I believe the foot print of G1 is out of your reach.
http://www.telesat.com/satellite-fleet/anik/anik-g1

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #149 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-07-05, 10:17 PM
Veteran

Shaw has a free install deal for new customers but it is not mandatory, you can do your own install. Also they don't care what kind of credit card you use be it usa or ca. I'm sure Shaw must have a paperless billing option. The only thing you will need to get ironed out for sure is a "Canadian service address"
post #150 of 1656 (permalink) Old 2012-07-05, 11:57 PM

YES to the paperless billing.

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --

Tags
mexico , reception , television viewing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in