Satellite TV Review: Shaw Direct - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this service provider?
Extremely Satisfied 70 35.53%
Somewhat Satisfied 89 45.18%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 26 13.20%
Extremely Dissatisfied 12 6.09%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 2010-12-14, 09:38 PM
Rookie

What about signals?

Thanks Pinza. I am in Toronto. One receiver is fine. But are there configuration issues? Is the reception okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 09:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinza View Post
The main difference I encounter when talking to people coming from Cable to Satelitte is that you need a Receiver for each TV, there is no way around that with either of the 2 Canadian Satelitte providers, unless you buy a used bell Receiver that can feed 2 x TV's from the one box.
Non DVR receivers are cheap. An HD receiver is about $199, and an SD receiver around $99, and you buy them to keep.
Quote:
Connecting the Receiver to the TV, should be almost as simple as just swapping out a Cable digital box (if you have one) with the Satelitte Receiver.
More or less it is, suppoing your coax is good enough for satellite, and the other end is connected or connectable to the satellite dih or related gear.
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 2010-12-19, 08:07 PM

I voted extremely satisfied after an initial setup problem where the connector at the dish to my HD TV was faulty and did not provide me with all HD channels.

I also signed up for Home Away From Home package an I am enjoying Shaw Direct in my Mexico winter home. Despite protests from the local installer that the 60E dish will not provide a good signal and will drop some channels (and really require a 75E satellite in Mexico) I found that I get all channels with SD receiver and have almost HD quality reception.

Western Canadians have enjoyed free Super channel and Movie Central channels for 3 months since November. One can be up-to-date with all the free promotions online at their website.

post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 2010-12-19, 08:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I found that I get all channels with SD receiver and have almost HD quality reception.
The Picture Quality on SD Channels will never equal that of an HD Channel, just because you get a great Signal strength it does not equate to a better PQ. As you only have an SD Receiver in Mexico, maybe the local Installer is correct, you cannot get the HD Channels with the 60E, lets face it he should know.
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-09-19, 04:19 PM

Thumbs down Home and Cottage vs 2nd Home Account

Home and Cottage pkg vs. 2nd Home Account - COMPLETE SURPRISE:
I phoned in because our pvr stopped recording 2 programs at the same time. This brought to the person's attention that I needed the service at our Winnipeg home and we also have a cottage location which is where the technician was sent to.* Pierre from Montreal immediately phoned my Winnipeg home saying all our connections were stopped (we have 3 in Wpg and 3 at cottage) until I set up what is now called a 2nd Home Account.* If the Home & Cottage packaged ceased in 2013 (according to Pierre) why were we not contacted or emailed or a letter sent stating this.* I am completely taken aback that all 6 of our connections were stopped.* This is not our fault at all if the Home & Cottage pkg was changing to something else.

While on the phone, I asked Pierre to please stop using the stupid analogies he was giving as to how 2 bills work such as hydro bills etc. because that was condescending.* When I asked Pierre to throw something my way such as another recording pvr or to update the old receivers we have, of course he stated he could not do that as he was from accounting.* Yet its amazing how fast he called me back as soon as I told the customer service rep the technician went to the wrong address.* About 3 weeks ago when the pvr first started acting up a customer service rep sent out a new power source and that came to our Wpg address so why would the technician show up at the cottage?

I extremely unhappy to learn that for the 2nd Home Acct I will have to pay 50% more of the existing cost. Yet Pierre from accounting cannot give me any added bonus such as another recording pvr or upgrade our old receivers.
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-02, 05:20 PM
Veteran

The biggest issue with Shaw for many years was lack of HD channel carriage and quality of signals. That was an even bigger issue for subscribers in eastern Canada since it seemed like the majority of the missing HD channels were for Eastern centric services such as TMN.

Shaw Direct was a very poor choice for people who wanted HD. That is finally being addressed but it's taken far too long to be meaningful. The other issue is the poor quality of some HD signals. Dropouts on HD channels have been an issue since I originally subscribed in 2001. Signals have improved but sixteen years later it's still an issue.

Both times I subscribed the main attraction to Shaw Direct was price and value. Both times they decided to discontinue promotional packages, jack up prices more quickly than the competition and rearrange theme packs to reduce value and jack up prices even further. One time they cancelled my promotional package because I did a temporary vacation suspension. When I tried to cancel, they told me I had to give them my 2 PVRs (with no refund) that I had paid $600 for just a few months earlier. That's despite their "no contracts" promotion. Don't be fooled, there is an implied contract that could cost you a lot of money.

While Shaw Direct boasts that they have won "awards" for customer service it tends to be very inconsistent. Customer service had fallen to worst in the industry the first time I cancelled. The second time I subscribed they announced large layoffs shortly after and customer service took another nosedive.

In short, this company cannot be trusted to provide consistent value or service, especially for eastern Canada. To be fair, I've experienced similar issues with other TV providers. However, Shaw Direct seems to take much longer to address them and is more likely to make customers pay for Shaw's own mistakes (like the 500 series receivers.)
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-08, 04:52 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
I hear you. I think SD is good for less demanding customers like me. All my Canadian HD is from Toronto. Being in Vancouver in the summer, it is a minor irritant. But in Mexico, it is closer to our time zone.

The 500 series is an irritation, but I have had them for 15 years so I guess an upgrade candidate. I still have one in the bedroom that works just fine for the limited use we put it to. I will probably upgrade it to a 630 with single feed eventually.

Last edited by 57; 2017-11-08 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Language
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 04:42 AM
Rookie

New Shaw Direct customer, first time satellite user, Vancouver Island.

I'm generally satisfied. I'm using the 830 with one tuner due to the fact that the self install kit only comes with 2 40ft lengths of cable and the dish needs to be 90ft away, thankfully the kit included joiners. I'm getting 90 signal in brutal rainstorms so that seems good. Dish was very easy to setup and find a signal. The PVR software works very well and makes having only one tuner operating acceptable until I buy a 20$ 100ft cable for the second tuner, because as long as I have something previously recorded I can carry right on recording something else for later. It is also nice to be able to filter out all the adult stuff including the obnoxious titles.

On a somewhat unrelated note, it boggles my mind after seeing the massive bandwidth being used to broadcast redundant content, and content that very few people subscribe to, that there is no offering for one-way internet, using LTE or whatever as the return pipe. It seems to me that Shaw could earn some money here taking business away from Rogers/Telus DATA users. Perhaps if Health Canada actually was looking out for Canadians in regards to microwave poisoning (which they are most certainly NOT!) one-way satellite internet could live again.
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-12-06, 01:31 PM

Thumbs down

I am extremely disappointed with the fact that I have been a customer for 3 plus years and as of today Shaw cannot provide me with assistance. I called today to ask for a service tech to come and install another line. They have no service techs in the area period. I have to find someone myself to have it installed and they will reimburse me a whopping $50.00. What kind of service is that! Unacceptable. Where am I supposed to find someone to install a line if Shaw can't even get someone? I'm sure Bell can provide some assistance with a new account.

Last edited by 57; 2017-12-06 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-12-06, 02:27 PM
Veteran

Where do you live? Who did your installation 3 years ago?
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-12-06, 08:42 PM
Veteran

Why not do it yourself? The people here can provide assistance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in