July 18th: DSR530 Code CC Fixes, Features & Bugs - Page 70 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1036 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2007-07-20, 01:20 PM

I got the flyer too, they must be serious about the date this time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1037 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2007-07-21, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Excellent news! It means we're finally getting the new code.

I actually received a little flyer yesterday that illustrated the new guide. It says the rollout will happen during the months of July & August

Starting Tuesday (as has been said many times) hopefully completed by 1'st week in September on all receivers.

Please please take Arr's advice and power your receivers off at night, it means you will likely get the update much sooner when the receiver is targeted and things will go as smoothly as possible.
post #1038 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2007-07-21, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
ARR

The only concern I have about such a slow deployment is if they get too many calls about it or a minor problem, they might stop the download.

This is exactly what happened after 00.BC rolled out.
In spite of it's problems, which later turned out to be bad flash chips, they pulled it mid deployment and left many users hanging with code that had problem's that 00.BC addressed and IMHO, the benefits far outweighed the disadvantages.

Since this code is absolutely necessary for the successful migration to 8PSK, then I think chances are slim of that ever happening.

That said, in the extremely unlikely event that something annoys you enough to call in, maybe wait several weeks and see if it still does.

Any new guide WILL take some time to adjust to.
During the time I had it running over a year ago with 98% completion, I found it to very very comfortable in a matter of hours to days.

Some of the changes are subtle and hardly noticeable, but it those things that make it a fantastic guide.
All those little things that bugged you have been removed.

Have a great POTTER weekend and lets look forward to next Tuesday a.m. for some of us. (fingers crossed)

post #1039 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2007-07-23, 10:49 AM

ARR, does your new guide (and firmware) allow deletion of channels?
I'd like to not be able to see some of them at all (ALA my 40x series - I could block them and they wouldn't show up in the guide, nor scroll through them).
post #1040 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2007-07-23, 01:40 PM

You can already do this with the 530. Just use the parental controls to delete the channels you don't want to see and they won't show up in the guide. They will come up as a blocked channel requiring a password if you scroll through channel up or down. Go Option 4 (parental control) make sure 1 says Enable Locks, press 3 (Channel Locks) and check mark any channels you wish to block from the guide.
post #1041 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2007-07-23, 03:54 PM

Go into favourites and set your channel guide there by selecting the channels you want to show, that's what I did.Favourites list 1 that I made up shows me all the channels that I subscribe to and watch,therefore I don't have to go through all of them.
post #1042 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2007-07-23, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
ARR

I had created a scheme to show a dim red channel icon (almost B/W version of maroon/black channel number) in the grid if that station isn't subscribed.
If they got the tuning subroutine worked out, then you can browse the guide as see what you're missing.
It was also designed to allow you to do a scan and see what you get and what you don't to create an ALL-SUB favourites pre populated with edit options to select all or select non and create or modify your list.

This was spec'd, but I cannot guarantee if this new feature made it or not.
I hope so, it's quite slick when I saw it running in the lab, but is it ready for prime time?, dunno.

I think I read that it IS one of the features, but how much or how far the spec got implemented will all be a surprise.

Short of what I described, we made no provisions to delete a channel other than the methods noted.

In the interim, the advice already posted should help some.
post #1043 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2007-07-24, 03:00 PM

New Code

well? Anybody see their target change from 00 to a new number yet?
post #1044 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2007-07-24, 04:06 PM

Great Timing

Well, just as I was eagerly awaiting the ‘new’ code, my 530 bit the dust. After months of reading some of the horror stories on the forums on just how badly this unit could fail, I thought I was pretty lucky until this weekend.

How a failure could manifest itself in so much odd behavior is beyond me:
  • Freeze Ups on most every function, channel change, guide paging, options menu choices
  • Inability to boot, often 3-4 times of a soft-reset to bring machine on
  • Stuck on one channel, the last one I managed to change to before it would lock up again, the info bar showing the new channel, but no change in picture from old one. Unfortunately it was Treehouse!
  • DVR recordings showing the Live-Record as an entry (and currently recording), (I had a factory reset done first time, and I had no timers, the channel listed on the entry was the channel the unit was on).

So after two sessions with customer service, they nicely volunteered to replace my unit at no cost to me, I did not have to beg or anything (though as frustrated as I am with the breakdown, it was handled well by SC).

So while on the phone with SC the tidbits I heard were that the major rollout of the new code started today, they have had very few problems related to the rollout so far, and that I probably would have received it if it was not for the breakdown. The replacement box will get the new code the first night it is activated.

And this odd little biddy….

The CSR claimed that yet another release is coming shortly after this one, with some bug improvements around lock-up detection etc. I’m not sure I believe this, as why would they just not drop everything in one release in a month or two instead of two so close together.
post #1045 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2007-07-26, 10:06 AM

nutting yet!

So much for the Tuesday launch for me! No new target and the same old reboots!
post #1046 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2007-07-26, 01:54 PM

Check the 530 E4 Thread, more 530's are getting the code now. Once more have it, I hope they'll delete this CC thread and quit cluttering up the screen

Owner of Sony 4K Android SmartTV XBR-65X900F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in