July 18th: DSR530 Code CC Fixes, Features & Bugs - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 12:28 AM

FF too Fast?

I like the new features that cc has given us (especially entering a certain amount of time to jump back and forth during a program and finally naming the programs in the set timer menu.
One thing that I don't like is the speed of the FF on the first press. We were watching a recorded program the other night and during commercials I would hit the skip button 2 or 3 times (set for 60 secs) which would by pass over them and put me back into the program. I would then hit REW because I went a little to far and needed to back up a bit to resume watching the show where the last commercial ended.
It seemed almost impossible to stop the video at the spot where you want to resume because it is travelling so fast it basically over shoots the stop point. I think the slowest FF speed in the previous A8 code did a better job at pin pointing where you stopped. The first press needs to be slowed down a tad in cc.
Other than this, the new code seems to be much better as I have been pushing this and pushing that and so far no resets. (Knocking on wood!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 02:14 AM

I'm having some freeze ups with it now tonight. When I was skipping ahead in a recorded program, when I found the spot I wanted, the bottom bar didn't go away even though the program was now playing. At that point I realized the time display on the bottom bar wasn't progressing either. So then no buttons would respond, couldn't stop, or anything. When I pushed power, the top part stoped and went black but the bar remained. When I pused power again, the program came back playing the recorded program again the bottom bar frozen there the whole time. Had to soft reset to fix. Called it in. Then it froze when I was paging (ch down) in my DVR list. Soft reset again.
post #78 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 08:50 AM
Tup

For those people reporting some problems....did you have A8 or BC before? Also was your unit causing problems before or not? I still think there are flakey units out there. Mine has been very stable...even with A8.

Last night watching a prerecorded show I was really able to go through commercials fast by hitting 3 and then skip.....for this show this allowed me to skip the commercials really fast....I usually had to do 1 skip after the "3 Skip" and presto start of the show (rock star).

Really liking the new firmware.

post #79 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 11:16 AM

I had A8 before and my box had been acting pretty good for a while now. I mean I've had my share of bugs, but it wasn't that bad before. It froze on my DVR list now last night. Pushed DVR and when to push down arrow and it was frozen.
post #80 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 11:18 AM

Recording Replay Issue

Ok, here is one bug I can reproduce at will.

1. Play any recorded show for a couple of minutes (or jump ahead a couple of minutes)
2. Stop the playback.
3. Press Play from the DVR screen again. The playback will start from the Beginning of the show (no RESUME button seen the first time)
4. Stop the playback again.
5. Press Play from the DVR screen. This time the RESUME button appears. Press RESUME. The playback resumes at the location where it was stopped in Step 2.
6. Play the show for couple more minutes.
7. Stop the playback. Now steps 3-5 are observed again.

I have seen this happening repeatedly with different recordings.
post #81 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
ARR

Red face A well known bug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE
...1 bug... when I press Options-6-4-6 I get booted out the the menu. ...
This 'feature' has been broken since the original DSR500.
The Video Adjustments didn't work and the design was clunky.
So it's been temporarily taken out.

The plan is to use an calibrated overscan slide in the background with a pop-up box that will allow you to centre/adjust the output.

I have no idea when we will see that though.
post #82 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 01:32 PM

You Guys Are BAD Luck :)

Wow, all you guys with problems with CC are spreading bad luck LOL
I beta tested CC and never experienced ONE problem with it. After your posts, I experienced my first problem with it. Today I was watching CNN, and the receiver just shut itself off. I pressed power and it came right back up. All in all though, I'm much more pleased with CC then any of the others.

Owner of Sony 4K Android SmartTV XBR-65X900F
post #83 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 03:12 PM

I had A8 before with only having to reboot about twice a month. Last night with CC my 530 crashed while pausing live tv. I do like the new feature though..
post #84 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO-CRTC
Wow, all you guys with problems with CC are spreading bad luck LOL
I beta tested CC and never experienced ONE problem with it. After your posts, I experienced my first problem with it. Today I was watching CNN, and the receiver just shut itself off. I pressed power and it came right back up. All in all though, I'm much more pleased with CC then any of the others.

I've had a similiar problem as well. The night before the download the receiver just shut itself off and then Mid-morning the day after the download it shut itself off, twice again. This even after doing a power plug reset first thing in the mornig to make sure the code loaded properly. I'm starting to wonder if staying with A8 would have been better? I only had to reset once every six or eight weeks with the old code.

I also posted earlier about the "JUMP TO" feature not working and was wondering if anyone else was having a problem with this before I called Starchoice??
post #85 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 06:24 PM

The last time I crashed CC was on June 26th. It crashed twice that day but after resetting it by unplugging the box for awile and freeing up some HD space it's been solid since.

I had BC prior to CC and I noticed as the Hard Drive filled up problems started to occur much more often. I don't think that the disk usage specified on the DVR list is always accurate. At the end of BC the DVR list would specify that I had several hours of HD remaining but all my new SD recordings failed. If anyone has any broken recordings on their box like I do, I don't think that the box properly registers the time of those recordings.

I find CC the best release yet. I would be interested to know if those who are having problems with it are close to filling up the hard drive or have it in a place that's not allowing it to vent as it should.

Back on April 2nd when the USA Showtime channel was in free preview mode I connected the 530 to my big dish and was able to record Showtime HD. Has anyone else tried the same on their BUD?
post #86 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 06:52 PM
Tup

Hey...how many of you guys had CC long before us???? Seems there are some Beta testers here who kept hush hush!
post #87 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 06:53 PM

I had the "cc" code targeted so I shut the receiver off last night and when I turned it on this morning my receiver went back to the "oo" target and I still have the "A8" code which is fine because I"ve had pretty good luck with it. I've had to reboot maybe once or twice in the last few months and I'm recording stuff everyday!
post #88 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatTv1994
Back on April 2nd when the USA Showtime channel was in free preview mode I connected the 530 to my big dish and was able to record Showtime HD. Has anyone else tried the same on their BUD?
How did you get tuned to the channel!?
post #89 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite
How did you get tuned to the channel!?
I noticed mention of the free preview on Digital Home Forums and Pointed my big c/ku dish to 123.0°W and my StarChoice 921 receiver tuned in all the free preview channels. The StarChoice map on the 530 had a couple of channels that matched up with the free preview channels and one of them was Showtime HD.
post #90 of 1046 (permalink) Old 2006-07-21, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
ARR

Cool Shhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup
Hey...how many of you guys had CC long before us???? Seems there are some Beta testers here who kept hush hush!
There was a total of 5 members here plus myself that have had CC in advance as part of a very tightly controlled field test.

Remember all the flap a year or so ago, well it was true and those that discounted the invitation got left out and those that took the opportunity have been privelege to stuff no others have had.

They had to be hush hush or loose the privelege to comment on bugs and features.

None the less, virtually all the comments here made it back to the development teams one way or another, that I can gaurantee.

That is why several of the enhancement requests the members made are included in the release with more to follow.
Also how a major effort to address all the concerns repeated incessantly by DKS, a.k.a. Kevin270 were put to the top of the list.
Hopefully he approves of the efforts. If not c'est domage!

Those that have been around a while and can put 2 and 2 together along with recent comments can likely figure out what was going on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in