Dec 12th: DSR530 Code BC Fixes, Features & Bugs - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARR
Kevin270, sometime the best testers are those that are completly at arms length. If all the testers were techies, they would know how to use it. The best best is to give it to your wife to test. They spot things as being starge right off.
i guess more than anything is that i am disappointed that i will have to wait until january. originally i was told october, then they said november. then they said december. now they are saying january. it's even more annoying to realize that the new software is out there, but i don't have it after all of those empty promises. i guess i can wait another month with this buggy machine but like i said it is disappointing. the only thing that makes me feel a tad bit better is the fact that at least some people are saying that they have it. however the point of these people having the BC version is to test it. if they find problems with it that will mean yet another delay in getting the software. it may not come in january depending on what is found. from what i have read so far it does sound like a lot of the annoying bugs have been addressed. i am keeping my fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 01:44 AM
ARR

Guide Data and the Have Nots

There are a couple of possible approaches to the guide data issues:
1. Wrap the legacy data inside an extended guide packet so the legacy will ignore the extra data and the 5XX can use use, but then you have to download new code to ALL the legacy boxes so it will ignore the extended data. Probably not the best solution.

2. Create a NEW guide downloader and in some future software download, tell it to go look there for data and blast the first 6 hour block down in 30 seconds like Bell does and then let the rest trickle in over several minutes.
Probably a better, but more expensive solution.

New Code Load:
Tough decision on wether to wait or not.
Since it looks like the selected download is 'opportunity' which means it could take up to 7 days before your receiver takes it as forced, a future batch, if all things are clear, could put it right at Christmas.

That would be a bummer if there were a problem and maybe they have a little less staff on at the time, not sure. I'm not convinced the story about us subscribers testing it is valid. I'm sure with the lickin' that *C & Moto took over the past few downloads it has ensured the it was well beta tested by a good size sample. There should not be any surprises by this time.

What problems that may remain, should already be well known, but I can understand them wanting to be cautious. If the number of things changed is as high as mentioned earlier, then there is always a risk. It's just the time of season that seems to be working against some of us.
post #78 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARR
[Kevin270, sometime the best testers are those that are completly at arms length. If all the testers were techies, they would know how to use it. The best best is to give it to your wife to test. They spot things as being starge right off.
Wow. Not too sexist.

post #79 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 10:53 AM
ARR

None intended. Just an observation of fact.
post #80 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 11:51 AM

Delete recorded music

*** One trick that often works for me do delete 'stubborn' re4cordings is to PROTECT what you want to keep, and use the DELETE ALL function.
Try that, I think that's easier than a factory reset with ERASE. ***

Did that - even protected/unprotected the recording itself and the only cure was the unplugging of the machine. Somehow that allowed me to delete it - go figger. I have a few items I want to save, so didn't have the drive wiped on the factory reset. Learned my lesson, though - won't be recording music unless I want to keep it forever!
post #81 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 01:34 PM

I hate to rub it in, but I"m having a ball with this new firmware. This is what it should have been like out of the box!! I don't know how I got so lucky to be in this so called 500 club, but I'd be pretty pissed if I wasn't, and I'd be calling *C to let them know. They should give this to everyone soon so they can record their Christmas shows for the kids and family etc. Call and complain you guys...tell them to give you a nice Christmas present after having shelled out the $$'s for your receiver.
Ho Ho Ho.

And by the way, Merry Christmas to all on the forum.

Cheers.

Owner of Sony 4K Android SmartTV XBR-65X900F
post #82 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 01:37 PM
Veteran

Hopefully Starchoice is reading this forum and sees the good reviews for a change and will get this new update out to the rest of us REAL REAL soon!!!!

Please *C give the rest of us an early Xmas present too!

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #83 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin270
i guess more than anything is that i am disappointed that i will have to wait until january. originally i was told october, then they said november. then they said december. now they are saying january. it's even more annoying to realize that the new software is out there, but i don't have it after all of those empty promises. i guess i can wait another month with this buggy machine but like i said it is disappointing. the only thing that makes me feel a tad bit better is the fact that at least some people are saying that they have it. however the point of these people having the BC version is to test it. if they find problems with it that will mean yet another delay in getting the software. it may not come in january depending on what is found. from what i have read so far it does sound like a lot of the annoying bugs have been addressed. i am keeping my fingers crossed.
Well when you were told October, *C employee's were told October, but during the final days of the release it got pushed back until December. They have now released the frist 500 upgrades for the 530's and from some of the comments from people who have gotten them on this site it looks like the update has been working well.
post #84 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 03:43 PM

Just out of curiosity, how did they decide which accounts to send the update to? Order activated? Most calls? Random? I'm hoping they've got some way to track which ones got the update and they'll be calling them to find out what they thing, otherwise this whole excercise seems kind of pointless.
post #85 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 04:52 PM

Another story.

I just spoke with a level-2 tech rep about the new release. I didn't offer any info that I knew anything about the new release. He said that starting a few nights ago they are updating several hundred units per night. This cycle will continue until all are updated which could be a couple of weeks.

Except for the few that got it on day 1, has anybody received it since?

He did say that the updates were done done on a random basis based on serial number. I think he meant that it was random, but they were tracking the updates by serial number. He couldn't change the order of the updates.

Everyday checking ... oh the agnony .... On the bright side with all of this checking, I'm noticing that my signal strength is way up there, often over 90.
post #86 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 07:29 PM

If this fog would lift and let the planes come in so that I could get home, I could find out what all the excitement is about. The family says we had the new code yesterday when I got them to check. My wife's biggest complaint had been the chopped off endings to some recorded PPV's; especially the one that died right before the tear jerker part. Hopefully tomorrow.......
post #87 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 08:15 PM
ARR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgosler
My wife's biggest complaint had been the chopped off endings to some recorded PPV's;
Turns out that that was not a receiver problem, but the 3rd party guide data provider and the slight differences between the Eastern and Western PPV providers. I'm led to believe that is supposedly fixed now.

You may want to choose the upper PPV's above 210 or so.
It looks like they have removed the PPV Promo's in the guide for those.

Make sure you call in and get credited for the PPV as well.

There is just no excuse for that.
post #88 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 09:06 PM
Veteran

To those of you that have the BC code, did your target version number change the day prior to getting the new code? It usually does that but I haven't heard anyone mention it.

Mine still says A8, with a target of 00. Sigh.

-Mike
post #89 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 10:59 PM
ARR

Lightbulb Code downloads 101

Yes, that's the way it works.
When your receivers hears eithers it name (Unit Address) being called or sees software newer than what it has if it's a broadcast, then the target version changes to the new one.

Then, at ~ 2 a.m. the following morning if the unit is in standby, it boots into a special mode to accept the download and then boots back up to it's previous state with the new code if all goes well.

Failing that, it will try again for ~ 7 days. If it still doesn't have it, then even if it's turned on and you might be watching a program, poof, it boots to take the load and says, hey buddy, give me a break, I've been waitin' 7 days for this!
post #90 of 626 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCman
Well when you were told October, *C employee's were told October, but during the final days of the release it got pushed back until December. They have now released the frist 500 upgrades for the 530's and from some of the comments from people who have gotten them on this site it looks like the update has been working well.
i called Jim Cummins to complain about the 530 and to find out what he was going to do about it. a supervisor called me back stating that it was going to start working within 2 more weeks. that was at the end of september shortly after i bought the machine. it's caused me a lot of headaches although now that i am used to the glitches i have managed to find a way to avoid them most of the time. it still should not be working this way. now i find out that i won't get it fixed until maybe january 3. that really sucks the big one.

one of the big problems with the A8 release occurs when your unit is in native mode '0000'. If you are watching an HD program, and you press the guide menu the entire picture goes black and there is no easy way to fix it. you have to exit out of the program you are watching and start it up again. can anyone confirm that this was fixed with the latest BC code? thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in