Dumping Memory in StarChoice? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 2005-12-01, 01:15 AM
ARR

They refer to the 500 series of products.
I have some 400's, but am less familiar with them then some of the other *C guru's here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 2005-12-01, 01:38 AM

ThanX for the clarification.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 2005-12-01, 01:43 AM
ARR

Wink 4.5 4.9 4.2 4.7 and 5.0 from the Russian judge...

You're most welcome and hey, what makes this a 5 star thread?

I haven't seen much of those lately.

There was some old posts a while ago that got 5 stars that contained a ton of good switch and install info.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 2005-12-01, 01:58 AM

I didn't rate the thread.

Just as a side note,

When I went back into the hidden menu for the first time in about a year, I saw a few new entries:

The 6-0 menu has changed to the following:

Installation Type (Home / Business)
Display Virtual Channel Maps
Display Carrier Definition List
Display Modulation Mode List
Diagnostic Data
Hide Non-Preferred Channels

Does anyone know what the difference is between a Home and Business installation, and what "Hide Non-Preferred Channels" does?

These weren't in the menu a year ago.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 2005-12-01, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARR
You're most welcome and hey, what makes this a 5 star thread?

I haven't seen much of those lately.

There was some old posts a while ago that got 5 stars that contained a ton of good switch and install info.

There is only 1 vote and it is a 5, from 1-5, That gets the average up, lol. I made that vote. I asked a question and got a ton of answers so I rated it a 5.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 2005-12-02, 11:34 AM
Veteran

Buisness installation installs a slightly different channel map.

"Hide Non-Preferred Channels" does nothing perceiveable.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 2005-12-02, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
Buisness installation installs a slightly different channel map.

"Hide Non-Preferred Channels" does nothing perceiveable.
I found the following in a PowerPoint Presentation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorola
If the receiver is activated on the same day as installation, there is one final step needed to complete the channel- mapping process…

Press Options 6 - 0 & Select “Hide Non Preferred Channels”

This keeps customers from accessing channels which your system has chosen not to offer.

This same step happens automatically, during the first overnight period.
So it probably doesn't do much on a StarChoice receiver except maybe before activation.

It's not the heat, it's the humility!
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 2005-12-08, 10:17 PM

The screen shot of that menu above ( 6-7-7-9-8 ) looks like a bunch of hex... and if I'm reading the screen write, you can edit that?!? that looks kinda dangerous, but I can't get my 401 to respond to those button presses. Is this only on certain models?

No one ever expects the spanish inquisition!
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 2006-07-04, 10:41 PM

re Authorizing 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
You can leave the receiver sit for a day/overnight, tuned to a valid vertical F1 channel (eg 299). Everything will get set in a daily hit, except for PPV authorisation, which might get reset when a call home is initiated. Your channel authorisations do not get cleared in a master reset.
IS this correct? I lost not only the reported PPV history memory but the channel map as well as the dish settings ( quad vs stacked settings ) overnight. I phoned up after waiting one hour for it to reauthorize. TSR hit the receiver in the stream and restored the subscription so all is well.

Does anyone know what can be editted in the sram's menu?

Thanks
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 2006-07-05, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
IS this correct? I lost not only the reported PPV history memory but the channel map as well as the dish settings ( quad vs stacked settings ) overnight. I phoned up after waiting one hour for it to reauthorize. TSR hit the receiver in the stream and restored the subscription so all is well.

Does anyone know what can be editted in the sram's menu?

Thanks
You'll be waiting a heck of a lot longer than an hour to ger the receiver to re-authorise itself without a direct hit from Starchoice. All of the receivers are on a virtual 'carousel', essentially a list of the Unit IDs for every single active receiver on the Starchoice system. The unit has to wait until the SAC (the receiver/account database) gets to your particular receiver on the carousel and then it'll get a hit to the unit to ensure all the configurations that are on your account for the receiver (authorisations/channel maps/dish settings) are up to date. I've seen this take over 3 days or more in some cases.

This is why sometimes when a new channel is added to the system (and hence a new channel map is required), some customers get the channel a good while before others. The SAC simply got to their receiver on the list before the other people.

It's a lot quicker just to call and get the hit.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 2006-07-05, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarboy
You'll be waiting a heck of a lot longer than an hour to ger the receiver to re-authorise itself without a direct hit from Starchoice. All of the receivers are on a virtual 'carousel', essentially a list of the Unit IDs for every single active receiver on the Starchoice system. The unit has to wait until the SAC (the receiver/account database) gets to your particular receiver on the carousel and then it'll get a hit to the unit to ensure all the configurations that are on your account for the receiver (authorisations/channel maps/dish settings) are up to date. I've seen this take over 3 days or more in some cases.

This is why sometimes when a new channel is added to the system (and hence a new channel map is required), some customers get the channel a good while before others. The SAC simply got to their receiver on the list before the other people.

It's a lot quicker just to call and get the hit.
Sounds like you know the *choice protocols... R U employed by them in technical?

So... from what you've said, the SAC will premutate through all the receivers addresses with the latest keys/hits and it can take up to 48 - 72 hours, depending on the receivers qued position.

Does anyone know what can be edited in the memory windows?
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 2006-07-05, 11:29 PM
ARR

Unhappy Not a lot I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
... Does anyone know what can be edited in the memory windows?
A DC II box is quite secure by design.
On the DSR5XX series, on a certain Diags screen, if you hit INFO button, you will flush out all the guide data from the unit.
You see some numbers change that the memory was freed up.

That's about it I believe.

There have been some obsure published pages about using special interfaces that allow you to tweak the channel map, but that still doesn't defeat the DC II conditional access system to get you any television you aren't entitled to.

You can do basically the same thing from the manual tune screen in the hidden menu's.

Go play there if your a satellite DX'er with a motorized dish and understand all the techie stuff the screen alows you to diddle.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 2007-03-13, 10:20 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got to wondering after I tried your tips if there were more so I started pushing buttons and I found the following:
Note that these menus can be access by other keys other then the ones I shown.
Options 6-7-7-0 (Advanced System Status)

Options 6-7-7-9-8
(Press NEXT to edit memory or GOBACK to exit)

Are there any more. I got a tendacy to want to know everything bout everything.,lol.
Thank You. Newfieplayer.

What is the current password.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 2007-03-14, 02:54 AM
ARR

For which series of products??

Those codes don't work on my 530 as expected.

They must be legacy codes.

In that case the PW might be 92121, the zip code for Moto San Diego where they were born.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 2007-03-14, 03:50 AM

For which series of products??

Those codes don't work on my 530 as expected.

They must be legacy codes.

In that case the PW might be 92121, the zip code for Moto San Diego where they were born.

I was referring to the 401 and other legacy receivers of the period.

What kind of data is saved in memory?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in