TIVO & Starchoice - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-28, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

TIVO & Starchoice

Does anyone have a TIVO & a Starchoice satellite system? Does the combination have the full TIVO functionality, or is it quite limited (i.e. SeasonPass doesn't work, etc.)? Any experience on this would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-29, 12:48 AM

If you're looking for TIVO-like functionality but full compatability with Star Choice, consider building your own PVR using a Hauppage PVR-150 capture card and BeyondTV 3 software. You get an IR blaster to control the Star Choice receiver and BeyondTV provides their own guide where you can "record all episodes", "record new episodes", etc, along with searchable Guide and the usual play/pause features.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-29, 01:59 AM
dks

I love the Guide features of that device, but is the Hauppage PVR-150 high def?

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-29, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks
I love the Guide features of that device, but is the Hauppage PVR-150 high def?
No.

Another thing to consider if you do choose this route.......

You better be comfortable setting up and tweaking computer hardware and software. ( in other words, a geek or at least a geek wannabe).

BTV works great, once you fine tune and iron out any bugs. Few people have been able to build one of these and have it run flawlessly from the get go. It took me a while to fine tune my system. Power supply issues, cheap memory issues, poor planning (I assumed a mobo with an S-Video out would be good enough, NOT!).

Most of the problems I had were related to hardware issues. You have to plan the system well and do plenty of research.

Apparently the MCE 2005 systems run pretty well right out of the box, from what I've read in different forums. I have no experience with them myself. The systems come pre-built but are a little on the expensive side, when compared to a DIY system.

The other options are......doesn't Starchoice have a PVR unit now?

TIVO is coming to Canada(apparently) and if so I'm sure they will carry all the major cable/satellite guide information. The guide information is already out there is cyberland so it would be a given that TIVO would be able to include it in there configurations.

HTPC BTV4.2-BM1.1 MSI K8N NEO2-AMD64-1gb RAM-2XPVR250-RADEON 9600XT-2X120GB-200GB-Firefly-MyBlaster-DSR405 & DSR400.
Client MediaMVP MVPBTV addon
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-29, 09:46 AM

ive been told tivo is fully functional with starchoice now, and starchoice shows up as a provider in the tivo setup
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-29, 10:02 AM
dks

TIVO just needs to upgrade their units to HD and we'll be all set! Bye Bye Motorola.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-29, 02:42 PM
ARR

Cool Tivo, nah!

So how many Canadians are willing to pay the monthly service fee?
A stand alone Tivo, or Replay for that matter still takes your pure MPEG-2 digital signal, drops it to analog in the STB, re-encodes it in the Tivo for the hard drive, then plays it out again analog for your TV.

Then having to use an external guide system.
The integration of the recording technology in the STB with the guide and storage of raw MPEG-2 is far superior.

But, with the price of DSR505's and a Cheap Tivo, maybe it's worth it.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-29, 06:51 PM

Hmm, I didn't realise TiVo was comming (or even available in) Canada. I'd have picked up a $99 box in the states had I known!
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-29, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks
TIVO just needs to upgrade their units to HD and we'll be all set! Bye Bye Motorola.
It wouldn't make any difference. Even a HD Tivo wouldn't be able to record HD from SC, Bell or the local cable company for that matter. The Tivo would have to have the broadcaster's receiver integrated into it to do that.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarboy
It wouldn't make any difference. Even a HD Tivo wouldn't be able to record HD from SC, Bell or the local cable company for that matter. The Tivo would have to have the broadcaster's receiver integrated into it to do that.
If you have satellite or digital cable you don't use Tivo all by itself. You still need the set top box from your provider.

The Tivo controls your existing box by changing it to the appropriate channel/time (using it's own guide data) and records the output from the box onto it own hard drive for playback .

Why wouldn't an HD Tivo be able to record HD output from your set top box the same as it does all the other digital channels?
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 11:16 AM

Have a look at what the svideo out spits out on the HD channels, it's extremely lame, tiny widescreen version stuck in the middle of the screen, not worth recording. Also it's practically impossible to record because of intermittant drop outs.
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 11:23 AM

TIVO like

I have the PVR set up as indicated Hauppauge pvr150 with BTV and it works pretty well. Definitely the closest thing, if not better than TIVO. Only problem is viewing on an LCD Monitor. I would prefer watching it on TV thus where TIVO comes in. How much are these things? 99??
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 11:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks
They are working on an HD digital cable unit, which will hopefully work with OTA digital as well, which has built in digital tuner(s) that work with a Cablecard for pay cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobob
Why wouldn't an HD Tivo be able to record HD output from your set top box the same as it does all the other digital channels?
There will very likely no HD video input standalone DVR, only ones that tune an already digital signal from a provider, like satellite and cable DVRs already do.

There are discusions elsewhere on this board as to why there won't be DVRs with HD video input (check the HD section)
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himself
Have a look at what the svideo out spits out on the HD channels, it's extremely lame, tiny widescreen version stuck in the middle of the screen, not worth recording.
SVideo doesn't support HD so an HD Tivo would have to get it's input via Component, DVI or HDMI.
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

But if someone just has standard definition TV, not HDTV, Tivo would work well.

Now just how to figure out how to keep the surround sound from the satellite box going to the amp while still having the ability to use the Tivo for stored programs, albeit with standard audio....

Tags
star choice , tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in