TIVO & Starchoice - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-09-22, 06:01 AM

HEALEY, you can watch something that is recorded on the TiVo and record something else at the same time. As for transferring stuff to a PC I do it all the time. If you want to put it on DVD or on a ipod, etc. you need the TiVo desktop plus software which costs $25. The basic TiVo Desktop software is free and lets you transfer recordings to a PC, but you need a TiVo USB network adapter to do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-09-22, 01:45 PM
Veteran

The TiVo has around 2 weeks of guide data, I find about the nearest week reasonably accurate, the week out a bit sparse.

You don't need to hack the TiVo itself.

You don't need the TiVo adapter, but if you want to go wireless, it is the recommended choice. If you have a Series 2 DT, it has a built in Ethernet adapter. Older Series 2s need a separate ethernet adapter, or can use the TiVo wireless adapter. Series 2s can use some other wireless adapters, but it isn't worth the hassle looking for them, and having to use WEP..
post #63 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-09-26, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
HEALEY, you can watch something that is recorded on the TiVo and record something else at the same time. As for transferring stuff to a PC I do it all the time. If you want to put it on DVD or on a ipod, etc. you need the TiVo desktop plus software which costs $25. The basic TiVo Desktop software is free and lets you transfer recordings to a PC, but you need a TiVo USB network adapter to do this.
What is the format when Tivo transfers data. is the program in a Video TS folder or is it some .mpg format?

post #64 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-09-27, 06:24 AM

Not sure of the actual format. When you highlight a file in the My Tivo Recordings in your documents folder on your PC, it says Tivo Recording. Must be some type of avi because it uses Windows Media Player.
post #65 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-09-27, 10:52 AM
Veteran

It is largely an MPEG2 file, with encryption.

It plays in WMP becasue it its decryption engine is a DirectShowFilter, not becasue it is some sort of AVI. A program called DirectShowDump takes advantage of that fact, and makes out it is a video player, outputting an unencrypted almost MPEG 2 file.
post #66 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-09-27, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
It is largely an MPEG2 file, with encryption.

It plays in WMP becasue it its decryption engine is a DirectShowFilter, not becasue it is some sort of AVI. A program called DirectShowDump takes advantage of that fact, and makes out it is a video player, outputting an unencrypted almost MPEG 2 file.
Does this file import directly into itunes or does it need transcoding with another program? if so what does everyone use?
post #67 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-09-28, 11:46 AM
Veteran

TiVo Desktop Plus (you pay $US25 or so) has built in conversion for iPod, and loads it into iTunes for you. iTunes cannot import an .tivo file directly, since it doesn't use Directshow (I believe iTunes uses some media system based around Quicktime).
post #68 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-11-12, 12:30 AM

So if I was to purchase a Tivo Series two on ebay (lifetime sub included) it should work with my starchoice 505 without any issues? i.e., the subscription should work in canada?

Does it matter if it's a single or dual tuner?
post #69 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-11-12, 06:15 AM

It should work just fine and as for single or dual tuner, you can only use one tuner with star choice so single would work fine. If you wanted to change to cable down the road you may want a dual tuner model.
post #70 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-11-12, 08:37 PM

Thanks! Next question then, what's a fair price for a Tivo Series Two with lifetime subscription? I'm assuming there's nothing illegal about this...
post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 05:57 PM
Rookie

Hello all,

Great info here in this thread.
I too have a DSR505. I was considering a TiVo but really need to know if when they say "Dual Tuner" it will let you watch say live TV, and record a show in the background? Or just watch recorded material and record at the same time?

For some reason I can't seem to find the answer to this, and sorry if it has been asked before...

post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 09:33 PM
Rookie

A dual tuner Series 2 TIVO will let you watch live TV and record on another channel at the same time, as well as watch another recorded show while you record another. Problem is it will read only one digital signal and the other must be analog - cable. To get around this, I purchased an older SC receiver and hooked it up separately to my TIVO and record with this receiver in the background while I watch TV on my HD 505 receiver. Not sure how the TIVO HD dual tuners work.
post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 10:19 AM
Rookie

I do have multiple receivers, and could use one for this. But from what you are saying, it is necessary to have 2 StarChoice receivers hooked up to the TiVo to watch live tv and record at the same time?
post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 12:58 PM
Veteran

The Series 2 DT supports only one box at all. Dual tuners on it needs cable. That said, you can manually use a second box on the cable input, should you choose to do that.

I have always (since I got a TiVo) had a second receiver I watched direct if I had to. I still do, but being an HD receiver, I watch it a bit more.

The Series 3/TiVo HDs only record from antenna or cable directly. They do not work from a box at all.
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 03:04 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.
Makes it easier to figure out which way I should go.

Steve

Tags
star choice , tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in