TIVO & Starchoice - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 75 (permalink) Old 2006-05-11, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarboy
Provided you have your receivers themselves set to remote code 0000, the IR blaster codes for Tivo should be absolutely identical between the 315 and 505.

I've used the same IR blaster code from Tivo with a 305, 405 and 505. You might want to check the positioning of the blaster on the front of the 505 or the speed of the IR 'blast' on the Tivo, I do recal I had to change that to accomodate the slower response of the 505 to remote commands.
I want to thank you for this reply....I was going nuts trying to find the right IR codes for my DSR921..( it was set on 0001) thats why my tivo didn't respond to it.

I read your response after about 9 hours of trying different things and your suggestion about remote code 0000 turned out all aces for me....Thanks bud
Stephitimoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 75 (permalink) Old 2007-11-28, 05:41 AM

Tivo is coming... really !

Tivo is coming to Best Buy, Future Shop, The Brick and London Drugs in mid December. Price is going to be $199 for the 80hr Series 2 DT. It is about time !
post #48 of 75 (permalink) Old 2007-11-28, 08:35 AM

To bad it won't record HD

post #49 of 75 (permalink) Old 2007-11-28, 10:44 AM
Veteran

To be fair, no consumer grade standalone DVR can record HD from a separate HD STB.
post #50 of 75 (permalink) Old 2007-11-28, 02:21 PM
gmd

I've had a MythTV setup (with frontends elsewhere in the house) since March 2006. Works with a 401 without any problems.

Tried BeyondTV, Sage and cheaper Windows-based ones also. Very happy with my choice. Can you set up BeyondTV to be controlled via the Internet?

I have to check to see what else Tivo offers, besides a monthly bill.

-gmd

SC: 8-Feb-02>21-Jul-09 (TFO) | EVu: 23-Jan to 03-Feb-07, back 20-Jun-09
Bell, French packages, pls! Long live OTA!
post #51 of 75 (permalink) Old 2007-11-29, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd View Post
Can you set up BeyondTV to be controlled via the Internet?
Depends what you have in mind... You can schedule recordings on the SnapStream.net web site and have your BTV machine grab those every 18 hours or so, when it performs its guide update. You can also use the web admin, assuming you can access your machines from the Internet...
post #52 of 75 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 03:08 PM

Question Will it record HD at all?

So does anyone here have a DSR505 & a Tivo Series 2 dual tuner?
If so can you actually record any of the HD channels? I know this model Tivo is SD.
Thanks
post #53 of 75 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 05:47 PM
ARR

You can record the HD programming using the SD outputs of the receiver, of course it's just not in HD.

There are some very good threads here on the subject of recording HD to external SD class boxes that offer great insight into preserving the wide format and other useful tricks.
post #54 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-01-14, 07:03 PM

Recently got a Tivo and was wondering if there is a way to turn off the channel banner that appears on the DSR505 when you change the channels, or will I have to live with the Tivo banner and the SC banner both appearing when the channel is changed.
Thanks in advance.
post #55 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-01-14, 07:19 PM
ARR

Currently there is NO setting to disable the banner bars.
post #56 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-09-21, 08:53 AM
Rookie

Tivo With StarChoice

Yes, I'm new here.
I am a starchoice owner and want to purchase a Tivo. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping I can get some answer to.

1. Has anyone had any problems with the Tivo Set up with Starchoice.

2. From what I've read you can only record one program at a time. Is this info correct?

3. Has anyone transfered programing off the Tivo. How well does that feature work? What is the format that is transfered.

4. Does the menu guide work as well as they say it does?

5. In Canada say at Best buy they sell for around $175. If I purchase it from the US will the box work up here and can I get a beter box.

6. Is it as good as they say?

Last edited by 57; 2008-09-21 at 10:20 AM. Reason: merged into existing thread.
post #57 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-09-21, 09:16 AM
Veteran

1. I have older TiVos with older Starchoice receivers. I have a new 505, but haven't yet attempted to mate it with my TiVo.

2. That is correct for any digital only service, Starchoice being one of them. Dual tuners require analog cable.

3. It is transferred in an encrypted MPEG2 file format. It is easy to pull the file, and to remove the encryption, but it is a funny MPEG2 that needs processed to play on some things.

4. Yes, US purchased Series 2 TiVos will work fine in Canada.
Unless you want to hack the box a bit (newer boxes have security protection preventing system hacks), there is no reason to get an older Series 2 box. Series 1 boxes don't have the Canadian postal code entry screen, and the HD models are next to useless in Canada, as they have no digital OTA guide data for Canada, don't digitally work on Canadian cable (no Cablecards here), nor work with satellite or cable boxes.
post #58 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-09-21, 01:27 PM

I am running my TiVo with a DSR505 and it works great. Also the guide data for the TiVo is for like 3 weeks, alot better than the SC IPG last I checked.
post #59 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-09-21, 02:34 PM
Rookie

tivo says that you can transfer content to your computer with ease and onto ipod or psp etc. Are you saying that's not the case? You have to hack it first?
post #60 of 75 (permalink) Old 2008-09-21, 04:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I am running my TiVo with a DSR505 and it works great. Also the guide data for the TiVo is for like 3 weeks, alot better than the SC IPG last I checked.
Hey Anubis,

Can you record on Tivo but still playback a previous recording at the same time?

Tags
star choice , tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in